2nd Wave??

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 06:11 PM

Seems to me we are still in the midst of the first wave. I have not felt safe going anywhere since early March when we were just realizing the pandemic was upon us. Mask and gloves are the norm wherever I go and restaurant dining, large gatherings, etc. are out of the question for me for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,898 Times in 913 Posts
Default The top of the food chain are viruses

Chris Christie says he spent 7 days in ICU before recovering from Covid - CNNPolitics
Old 10-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

He also has asthma and is obese. He's lucky to have survived it.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

A lot of people wearing mask religiously are getting Covid. What exactly do we do? Most get over it just fine and some don’t. I will not hibernate inside! I will take precautions but I’m living life. I will not be driving a vehicle alone n wear a mask. If I’m outside keeping a distance, I will live life like always. If someone is sneezing away like crazy or coughing their heads off then I will politely get away from them. If your sick stay away from people. Flu n cold season is around the corner, this will get interesting. Science and doctors told us all kinds of things: When warm summer comes this was going away. Nobody remembers half of what they told us because they flip-flop on everything. I can’t keep up with all the experts, and the differing opinions. If some mask don’t work then why are they so popular everywhere? In spite of everything life is good! If we shut the television off, life gets better The news 24/7 is driving some absolutely crazy! Don’t believe the ... (nonsense).
Old 10-16-2020, 04:55 AM

Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C can boost your immunity. If we wore masks in crowds and washed our hands before we touched our eyes or mouth, it would most likely cut down on contracting viral illness of any kind. If we shelter too much, I believe we compromise our immune system, making us even more easily infected. Growing up - covering our mouths and washing our hands was the common advise, don't know where or when that advise went astray.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rde3036 View Post
The number of cases is meaningless.

In Sumter county, population of 135,000, a total of 77 people have died from the virus. That works out to .o5% of the population. Not exactly the end of the world kind of number.

This is not a virus like Ebloa. Get out and enjoy life!
While you are sort of right, death isn’t the only thing to fear. My girlfriend’s dad died of the virus in September in Florida. Her mother nearly died, spending three weeks in the hospital when we were pretty sure she wouldn’t make it. She survived, but her dementia is much worse, and she can no longer be alone. Her home and years of belongings have been sold or thrown away, she’s had to give up driving, and she’s had to move north to live with her children or go into a nursing home. She’s alive, but her life has changed immensely, not least no longer having her husband of sixty-some years.

How many of that number have had side effects that limit their ability to work or live the life they had before. The number is much higher than the number who died.

Also, how much does it cost to spend three weeks in the hospital with constant care and lots of extras like huge amounts of oxygen and meds? Who pays for it? We all do, one way or another. It’s not free.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Lipschultz View Post
Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C can boost your immunity.

Zip impact on COVID.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Zip impact on COVID.
Thank you. I challenge the OP to produce just ONE original research article of a multi-centered university double blinded, placebo controlled study of at least 2000 people in a LEGITIMATE MEDICAL JOURNAL (NEJM, JAMA, Lancet) that shows the impact of Vit D3 and C as claimed. Articles from the North Dakota journal of holistic therapy and vitamin sales techniques or a pharmacy doctoral thesis study of 22 fellow students DO NOT COUNT!!!
Old 10-16-2020, 05:25 AM

Based on Dr. Fauci’s record why would anyone believe him , the CDC, or the other health experts who have proven since this started none of them are sure about anything relating to COVID?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
Based on Dr. Fauci’s record why would anyone believe him , the CDC, or the other health experts who have proven since this started none of them are sure about anything relating to COVID?
Over 200,000 Americans dead from the virus, multiple documented infections from events where social distancing is not practiced, and soaring infection rates in multiple heatlh care systems in multiple states.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,556 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Tell that to the person who's spouse was one of the .05%
Off topic with that comment. Yeah, sorry people are losing spouses but we are discussing percentages of people ill in TV
Old 10-16-2020, 05:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Here we go again, thread #27562 "only a couple died." ....... you can LIVE and feel like you are going to die as well for a LONG time after getting this:

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects - Mayo Clinic

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.

Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms. The most common signs and symptoms that linger over time include:

Fatigue
Cough
Shortness of breath
Headache
Joint pain

Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems

Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:

Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.

Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.

Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

Blood clots and blood vessel problems

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.

Other organs affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys. COVID-19 can also weaken blood vessels, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.

Problems with mood and fatigue

People who have severe symptoms of COVID-19 often have to be treated in a hospital's intensive care unit, with mechanical assistance such as ventilators to breathe. Simply surviving this experience can make a person more likely to later develop post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression and anxiety.

Because it's difficult to predict long-term outcomes from the new COVID-19 virus, scientists are looking at the long-term effects seen in related viruses, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

Many people who have recovered from SARS have gone on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome, a complex disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that worsens with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest. The same may be true for people who have had COVID-19.
Many long-term COVID-19 effects still unknown

Much is still unknown about how COVID-19 will affect people over time. However, researchers recommend that doctors closely monitor people who have had COVID-19 to see how their organs are functioning after recovery.

It's important to remember that most people who have COVID-19 recover quickly. But the potentially long-lasting problems from COVID-19 make it even more important to reduce the spread of the disease by following precautions such as wearing masks, avoiding crowds and keeping hands clean.
This is a reasonable review of some post-viral sequellae, but be very careful how you interpret it.

1) None of the "long term" effects are UNIQUE to COVID 19, they occur with just about any virus. There is no good data to show they occur more frequently with COVID.

2) Note the "byline" on the original article---"Mayo Clinic Staff". This is not a research article or study, it is just a list some people at Mayo scraped together. Studies are scrutinized by fellow researchers who try to reproduce the results. This is equivalent to an editorial in a newspaper---no fact checking.

3) Cardiac effects---- Unless you have "cardiac imaging" from hundreds of people just before and after COVID infection, the statement has no scientific validity. It is likely true, since many viruses can causes a long term myocarditis, but the sine qua non is endomyocardial biopsy, which I doubt anyone would volunteer for.

4) Pulmonary effects---Any respiratory virus, and even bacterial pneumonitis can result in lung scarring and reduced FEV1 and TLC long term

5) Neurological effects---Any virus and most viral vaccines have a low incidence of Guillian-Barre syndrome (which is easier to write than acute idiopathic demyelinating polyradiculopathy). Alzheimer's and Parkinson's take years to develop and diagnose, so how they can make this statement about a virus that has been around for less than a year is questionable

6) Blood clots---again, just about any infection can lead to a coagulopathy

But where the authors really go astray is with their statement of SARS leading to "chronic fatigue syndrome" There is no consensus in the medical community that CFS even exists, it is NOT a disease, it is a collection of somatic symptoms that usually occurs in patients with severe psychiatric overlay. I would give it no credence.

So there, I just gave a superficial critical overview of the article on Mayo's website. The real unknown here is how often these sequellae occur vs. other viruses, such as Influenza A
Old 10-16-2020, 05:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,556 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
First and foremost, social distancing. It is very hard to contract this virus from more than 6 feet away, even without a mask and especially outdoors.

Second, mask in the appropriate setting. Mostly when you cannot guarantee social distancing, and especially indoors when people are getting within 6 feet. But remember, a mask is not a suit of armor against this virus, it offers minimal protection for the wearer. It helps protect other people to a degree if not distanced. Keep in mind, however, to get the virus from another, that person has to be spewing droplets in your vicinity, he has to be positive for COVID, and in the infective stage as well, plus deliver enough of an inoculum to infect you. The odds are low, but if they were zero, there would be no pandemic. There is no need to worship at the altar of the holy mask, wear it to bed or while driving alone, etc.

Third, while there is little evidence of surface to human infection, it can't hurt to wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer. There are plenty of other germs out there that can be avoided in this fashion

Hope that answers your question
The mask does NOT protect the wearer. It protects others from the wearer
Old 10-16-2020, 05:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
Based on Fauci's record, you should listen to every word he says. Even the country's leading expert cannot know the unknown
Old 10-16-2020, 05:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
The mask does NOT protect the wearer. It protects others from the wearer
Please try READING the post again, based on your response I think you may have missed something
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, start, hunkering, 2nd, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.