2nd Wave??

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 06:05 AM

We’re Doomed! 😳
Old 10-16-2020, 06:11 AM
Default Don’t be stupid!

The small percentage of deaths doesn’t mean that getting COVID19 is inconsequential. Chris Christie didn’t die but he was hospitalized and was in the ICU. That IS a life changing experience! There’s also evidence of of lingering symptoms, so called “long haulers.” There’s now proof that reinfection can occur.
There’s so much unknown about COVID19 that just “living your life” like it’s not dangerous is akin to playing Russian roulette. Please wear a mask & practice social distancing for other people even if you don’t care about yourself.
Herd immunity, which is now being advocated by some, is a recipe for disaster that is going to kill millions, not thousands, and overwhelm the health care system.
COVID19 isn’t Republican or Democrat. It doesn’t care who it kills or sickens. It has only one goal...to replicate. America is the world’s leader among developed countries in allowing COVID19 to replicate. That’s not going to change until millions of Americans stop being stupid. It’s not “freedom” to refuse to wear a mask or ignore social distancing. It is, simply, sociopathic.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Given your expertise what is your recommendation of what people can sensibly do to protect themselves? I am not being snarky, I am genuinely interested in your opinion.
It’s simple, just go about your life but be sensible. Wash your hands often, use hand sanitizer when you come out of stores and when you cannot distance wear a mask if it makes you feel comfortable. This is a virus. You cannot hid from it any more than you can hide from the common cold or the flu. The only thing you can do is take as many precautions as you can but hiding in your home is not one of them as it has it’s own health risks associated with it.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Our number of cases doesn't look good today. Looks like it is not going away and scientists were correct in our getting a second wave of virus.
I am hunkering down as I have been since start. There will be a lot less Villagers if everybody thinks it is over.
For God's sake, do want you personally want to, but don't forget to keep your mask on between bites. The 3,300 case count is Florida wide and includes many cases on college campuses, similar to other states.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'd like to see the demographics on these 3030 new cases. The last big bump we had was mostly in the southeast and due to young people going to bars and getting the virus.

Where are these 3030 cases?

What age groups are they in? Are they younger people engaging in more risky behavior or are they older more susceptible people?

I saw an article last week that said in since the schools have reopened, cases of school age children in September have gone down.

In a state with over 21 million people and a large area, 3030 does not seem like a large number and it's important to know how localized this outbreak is. If most of the cases are in Miami, for example, I wouldn't be overly worried. At the rate of 3030 cases per week, it would take 64,000 weeks to infect the entire population of the state?

And as the president has stated, most people (over 95%) will experience mild flu like symptoms.

I'm not taking this lightly. I try to stay six feet away from people and I wear a mask when I go indoors at public places. But numbers get thrown around like they are huge. Every day in the online paper, I see 5 new cases, 12 new cases, 19 new cases etc. like they are huge numbers. They are not. I think that the numbers are low because most people are doing what's necessary to minimize their chance of becoming infected.

Another question that I have is about false positives. I have a friend who along with his wife both tested positive. After two days and two more tests 24 hours apart they were determined to be negative and that the initial results were a false positive. My questions are, how many of these false positives are there and are they counted in the 3030 reported cases?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 10-16-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Our number of cases doesn't look good today. Looks like it is not going away and scientists were correct in our getting a second wave of virus.
I am hunkering down as I have been since start. There will be a lot less Villagers if everybody thinks it is over.
This is not the second wave. It is still the first. The virus is not going away anytime soon. An effective vaccine won't be available for the masses until at least next year and there is no guarantee that 50% will take it.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T186021 View Post
Over 200,000 Americans dead from the virus, multiple documented infections from events where social distancing is not practiced, and soaring infection rates in multiple heatlh care systems in multiple states.
Why is it that Spain, Italy, and England who had the toughest lock down rules I Europe have as of a percentage of population higher infectious and death rates than the US and their economies are in significantly more trouble than ours?
Old 10-16-2020, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Thursday’s Coronavirus Updates: 3,356 new cases, 141 new deaths reported in Florida.
WINK NEWS
Here is the web site:

Experience
Old 10-16-2020, 06:32 AM

Ole Dr Fugi. What a nut.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:34 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Ridiculous! It’s about hospitalizations and deaths not about the number of cases which is also dropping drastically. Don’t know where you’re getting your information? But by all means stay in your house!
Old 10-16-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rde3036 View Post
The number of cases is meaningless.

In Sumter county, population of 135,000, a total of 77 people have died from the virus. That works out to .o5% of the population. Not exactly the end of the world kind of number.

This is not a virus like Ebloa. Get out and enjoy life!
Look up ‘long-haulers’. It’s not just death I worry about.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:39 AM
Default Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
Why is it that Spain, Italy, and England who had the toughest lock down rules I Europe have as of a percentage of population higher infectious and death rates than the US and their economies are in significantly more trouble than ours?
Spain has a higher death rate. The US has a higher infection rate than Spain , Italy. & the U.K. The US has a higher death rate than Italy & the U. K.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'd like to see the demographics on these 3030 new cases. The last big bump we had was mostly in the southeast and due to young people going to bars and getting the virus.

Where are these 3030 cases?

What age groups are they in? Are they younger people engaging in more risky behavior or are they older more susceptible people?

I saw an article last week that said in since the schools have reopened, cases of school age children in September have gone down.

In a state with over 21 million people and a large area, 3030 does not seem like a large number and it's important to know how localized this outbreak is. If most of the cases are in Miami, for example, I wouldn't be overly worried. At the rate of 3030 cases per week, it would take 64,000 weeks to infect the entire population of the state?

And as the president has stated, most people (over 95%) will experience mild flu like symptoms.

I'm not taking this lightly. I try to stay six feet away from people and I wear a mask when I go indoors at public places. But numbers get thrown around like they are huge. Every day in the online paper, I see 5 new cases, 12 new cases, 19 new cases etc. like they are huge numbers. They are not. I think that the numbers are low because most people are doing what's necessary to minimize their chance of becoming infected.

Another question that I have is about false positives. I have a friend who along with his wife both tested positive. After two days and two more tests 24 hours apart they were determined to be negative and that the initial results were a false positive. My questions are, how many of these false positives are there and are they counted in the 3030 reported cases?
That same person who says 95% also said in under control months ago as most states are increasing. South Dakota who had minor outbreaks in the beginning is now complaining about too much testing while there hospitals are almost at 100% capacity.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:

In Sumter county, population of 135,000, a total of 77 people have died from the virus. That works out to .o5% of the population. Not exactly the end of the world kind of number.

It is if you are one of those .05%.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Perhaps true. Just don’t want to be on the other end of your stat. Not ready for being 6 feet under, yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, start, hunkering, 2nd, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.