2nd Wave??

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
"Have you ever noticed" how many times a person that demands others wear a mask use the phrase "no caring for others?" It seems that those folks are thinking of themselves also, or they wouldn't care if someone else is careless with their own safety. See, it works both ways. Personally, I wear a mask when I think it is prudent. Actually, I am wearing a mask less than at the beginning of this thing. The more I learn about the illness, the less I worry. And yes, I have lost two members of my family "supposedly" to COVID. I do not care if you wear a mask or not. If you wish to wear a mask, then by all means wear your mask. I haven't worn long pants in years. See, I live dangerously. But, I don't demand others to dress like me. I will say this again and probably repeat it frequently, if you feel threatened and you can avoid the supposed danger, it is on you to stay safe. It is not anyone else's duty to protect you from exposing yourself to danger. Only you. I have been in stores that require you to wear a mask. I have seen folks comply by wearing the mask under their chins. If the Gov mandated masks, that is exactly what would happen. And if anyone was charged, it would be thrown out of court because the gov did not supply everyone with gov approved masks.
You will not demand folks to wear a mask. All you can do is keep the public informed and let them make the decision to wear or not wear. Like I have said before, I wear my mask when I feel it to be necessary. I do not care if anyone else wears a mask or not. You can howl at the moon for all the good it will do. You will have some that will not wear a mask even if they could see the virus in the air. I am prepared for contingencies. I have paper masks, cloth masks, Lead filtering masks and even a military gas mask. I have a box of disposable gloves, a pack of work gloves, welding gloves. I have safety glasses, goggles, a face shield and a welding hood. I am prepared, but I will not run amok screaming that the "sky is falling."
I didn't count the "I's" but there were tons of them...
Old 10-20-2020, 04:52 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Our number of cases doesn't look good today. Looks like it is not going away and scientists were correct in our getting a second wave of virus.
I am hunkering down as I have been since start. There will be a lot less Villagers if everybody thinks it is over.
Second or Third wave already 30 states are showing increases positive and shortage of hospital beds and nursing staff. Fact is there is NO NATIONAL STRATEGY we have 50 states going 50 different directions after 7 months!
Old 10-20-2020, 06:55 PM
Sage

Each state should go their own way. Wyoming is different from New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Second or Third wave already 30 states are showing increases positive and shortage of hospital beds and nursing staff. Fact is there is NO NATIONAL STRATEGY we have 50 states going 50 different directions after 7 months!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginpappas View Post
I didn't count the "I's" but there were tons of them...
Is there a limit imposed on "I"s?
Old 10-21-2020, 07:23 AM

Science has progressed since the dawn of time. Wear a mask, socially distance, avoid crowds. Unfortunately, the quack who is now pushing herd immunity is going to kill millions of people.

QUOTE=Toymeister;1847677]Since the dawn of time there is one and only one cure for any virus, exposure. Be it from a vaccine or the the virus itself.

Thus be prepared to 'hunker down' for years. Or accept risks in your life as you have and continue to accept for the remainder of your life for virtually every activity in life.

And I will accept risks and enjoy life by not hunkering down.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-21-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We all have access to valid information that generally directs those at most risk to be the most careful. Just like anything else it is the individual's responsibility to act on the information that they have carefully sourced.

That is Darwin's survival of the fittest in a nutshell.

That is common sense. That is patience. That is strength.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Wyoming is the least populated state yet their cases are increasing. Nobody is trying!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
That calculation didn't seem quite right to me. I did quick math, using the numbers you mentioned in your post........

21,000,000 population divided by 3000 cases per week equals 7,000 weeks NOT 64,000 weeks. Were you just making a joke when you said that?
Correct. I probably input a wrong number.

So 7,000 weeks is 134 years. Still the point is that it would take a long time for every person in the state to be infected at the rate that we are going.

I know, the infection rate would increase as more people got it but the state's population is also growing.

The point is that it would take a long, long time before every person in the state is infected.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage

You missed the point entirely. There is no "one size fits all" approach since the states are very different from each other. Just like the European countries are taking different approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Wyoming is the least populated state yet their cases are increasing. Nobody is trying!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:10 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

It's all over now I guess because we may not tell anyone how many cases Florida has every day. If we don't test or report positive cases it will go away.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Arguably, this is the worst national security issue we have had since WW2 and there should have been a national strategy to deal with it. Within the national strategy, you can make local allowances for population density, current case levels, and other key indicators. Every state had to reinvent the wheel and bid against each other for crucial supplies.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

It is the start of flu season. Be careful.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:31 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I keep thinking about that long ago ad for the movie JAWS — “Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.”

That’s how this mess makes me feel. We have been careful from the beginning, worn masks, washed our hands, have socialized with a few others we know are careful also, but done so outside.

I admit though that a few weeks ago, we were loosening up a little. Still being careful, following guidelines, but went inside a restaurant for the first time. Nice place. They had plexiglass between booths and seated people carefully. I was sitting across from only Mr. Boomer, all servers were masked. We entered masked but, of course, removed them for dinner, and it all felt fine. Almost normal.

But now, Ohio cases are on the rise again. My doc’s office called and changed my visit to Zoom because they want to limit as much in person as possible. Cases are now invading the suburbs with increasing numbers — suburbs where there are no nursing homes to include in the count. People know people who have died or are never the same after supposed recovery.

Thanksgiving plans are changing. (Maybe I can find a Cornish hen somewhere.) People are saying to avoid this year’s big gatherings so we will be around for next year. We attended a wedding — on Zoom.

Covid is getting a grip on parts of our Ohio county where it had not been much of a problem before.

This virus is not giving up. A virus needs a host so why in the hell do we have so many among us who insist on rolling out the Welcome Wagon.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-22-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Old 11-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Thanked 1,087 Times in 238 Posts

You are exactly right but people don't want to hear the truth and just feed in to the hysteria. Herd immunity is inevitable and we are just prolonging getting there.
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, start, hunkering, 2nd, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.