3 Way Light Switches

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Default 3 Way Light Switches

Since renting, then buying a Villages home in 2018 I find that the 3 way light switches do not function the way I expect them to.

I’ll explain, in any house I’ve owned when you turn on any of the 2 switches they will either light or turn off the light. Here in TV they do not work that way unless one specific switch is always in the on positions the 2nd switch does not turn on the light it is wired to.

An example will help clarify. As we walk in from our garage there is a kitchen light switch that switch will not turn on the light unless the 2nd light switch near the sink is in the up/on position the switch as we walk in from the garage will not not light the overhead light when in fact it should. Something is wrong with this, it should not matter what position either switch is in the lights should light or turn off no matter what position either of the 2 switches are in.

Any thoughts on this or am I missing something?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Yes it sounds like they have the point and travelers mixed up.. you have to make sure on one switch the feed is on the darker screw and on other switch the wire going to light is on the other darker screw the other two wires just go from switch to switch... hope that helps if you need a diagram I can email you one or you give a call..
Old 01-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well that's the way mine work. Someone didn't wire them correctly. If the home is still under warranty I would call the warranty dep't. The way your explaining it's not the way those switches are supposed to work. Just call an electrician if it's beyond warranty easy fix.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahunt1966 View Post
Yes it sounds like they have the point and travelers mixed up.. you have to make sure on one switch the feed is on the darker screw and on other switch the wire going to light is on the other darker screw the other two wires just go from switch to switch... hope that helps if you need a diagram I can email you one or you give a call..
Thank you for the answer and the offer to send a diagram. I checked You Tube and there are some instructions there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Well that's the way mine work. Someone didn't wire them correctly. If the home is still under warranty I would call the warranty dep't. The way your explaining it's not the way those switches are supposed to work. Just call an electrician if it's beyond warranty easy fix.
Our villa is not under warranty since it was built in 2002. Amazing though that the previous owner(s) did not pick up on the problem.

What I find odd too is that friends of ours purchased a new villa in 2017 and they had the same problem but theirs was covered under warranty.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage

That is a great demonstration of Florida's faulty licensing policy for electricians. Requirement is for contractor to have 1 license in the office to cover all mechanics in the field. All manner of butchers are wiring our homes.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
That is a great demonstration of Florida's faulty licensing policy for electricians. Requirement is for contractor to have 1 license in the office to cover all mechanics in the field. All manner of butchers are wiring our homes.
WOW!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
WOW!
Call Warranty anyhow. Just tell your problem and ask for suggestions. Don't rant and rave or complain. You just may be very surprised about the help you may get.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I have great confidence in your posts.

Is this the issue?

How to Get a License as an Electrical Journeyman in the State of Florida | Bizfluent

I think I may be in trouble with the "keep on track" police.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Default Bad switch

Either incorrect wiring or a bad switch. Yes, they do go bad.

I think that in the end, you'll find that one of the two 3-way switches is bad.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

OP, if this is going to be a DIY project, please turn off the circuit breaker first, swap the wires as necessary, turn on the circuit breaker, and test each switch for correct operation. If you have an OHM meter BEFORE you turn on the power, you can connect this across the BLACK power wire and the WHITE neutral wire, and test the switches, you should get infinite ohms when the switches are in the OFF positions, and a lower reading when in the ON positions.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts
Default How to fix it

If you don't have luck with the warranty Dept here is how to fix it. Install a lutron caseta dimmer or switch at one location, it does not require a traveler at all. At the other location install a lutron caseta pico remote in a wall mount inside the switch box. The Pico remote looks like a switch but it is powered by a ten year battery. None of this is outside of code.

Finally, pair the Pico to the switch. No internet or WiFi is required. Lutron is a well recognized company, they make fantastic products. This solution will cost about 85.00 in parts for almond switches.

All three products are available on Amazon in all the common colors. Available at Lowe's in white only.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts
Default Other Caseta uses

The Lutron Caseta system also works fantastic for the Lanai. Let's say you use your Lanai as living space. If you are sitting down and want the light on you have to get up, go inside and turn it on. With caseta you can have the remote in the Lanai. You can do this for the fan and lights. You can get a nice mini weighted stand that the remotes snap into.

It's all about convenience.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

It is obviously wired incorrectly, or you have a defective switch, or one of the switches is not a 3-way switch.

I got tired of having to get off the sofa to turn off the lamps to watch TV. So, I bought several Etekcity remote outlets from Amazon. Now, I can control 4 lamps from 3 locations with remotes, and don't need to get off the sofa. A solution for laziness.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is obviously wired incorrectly, or you have a defective switch, or one of the switches is not a 3-way switch.

I got tired of having to get off the sofa to turn off the lamps to watch TV. So, I bought several Etekcity remote outlets from Amazon. Now, I can control 4 lamps from 3 locations with remotes, and don't need to get off the sofa. A solution for laziness.
This is more than likely the case. DIY's will be driven to drink trying to replace one of these switches, and having it operating correctly on the first try (or second!).
Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Call Warranty anyhow. Just tell your problem and ask for suggestions. Don't rant and rave or complain. You just may be very surprised about the help you may get.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding switches going bad I understand that is possible but all my current and former Rhode Island homes never had the issue. I’m not doubting you it just seems unlikely for the following reason. This is now 2 separate homes they were an issue, first our rental in the winter of 2018 and now in our preowned villa. Plus a friend of mine had the same issue in his newly purchased villa in 2017.

VillageThinker, Thank you for the suggestions, I’ve been around electronics and electricity most of my life. I don’t have an Ohm meter here with me.

Tags
light, switch, turn, switches, position

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.