3 Way Light Switches

3 Way Light Switches

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

3 Way Light Switches
Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Default 3 Way Light Switches

Since renting, then buying a Villages home in 2018 I find that the 3 way light switches do not function the way I expect them to.

I’ll explain, in any house I’ve owned when you turn on any of the 2 switches they will either light or turn off the light. Here in TV they do not work that way unless one specific switch is always in the on positions the 2nd switch does not turn on the light it is wired to.

An example will help clarify. As we walk in from our garage there is a kitchen light switch that switch will not turn on the light unless the 2nd light switch near the sink is in the up/on position the switch as we walk in from the garage will not not light the overhead light when in fact it should. Something is wrong with this, it should not matter what position either switch is in the lights should light or turn off no matter what position either of the 2 switches are in.

Any thoughts on this or am I missing something?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Yes it sounds like they have the point and travelers mixed up.. you have to make sure on one switch the feed is on the darker screw and on other switch the wire going to light is on the other darker screw the other two wires just go from switch to switch... hope that helps if you need a diagram I can email you one or you give a call..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Platinum member

Well that's the way mine work. Someone didn't wire them correctly. If the home is still under warranty I would call the warranty dep't. The way your explaining it's not the way those switches are supposed to work. Just call an electrician if it's beyond warranty easy fix.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahunt1966 View Post
Yes it sounds like they have the point and travelers mixed up.. you have to make sure on one switch the feed is on the darker screw and on other switch the wire going to light is on the other darker screw the other two wires just go from switch to switch... hope that helps if you need a diagram I can email you one or you give a call..
Thank you for the answer and the offer to send a diagram. I checked You Tube and there are some instructions there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Well that's the way mine work. Someone didn't wire them correctly. If the home is still under warranty I would call the warranty dep't. The way your explaining it's not the way those switches are supposed to work. Just call an electrician if it's beyond warranty easy fix.
Our villa is not under warranty since it was built in 2002. Amazing though that the previous owner(s) did not pick up on the problem.

What I find odd too is that friends of ours purchased a new villa in 2017 and they had the same problem but theirs was covered under warranty.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage

That is a great demonstration of Florida's faulty licensing policy for electricians. Requirement is for contractor to have 1 license in the office to cover all mechanics in the field. All manner of butchers are wiring our homes.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
That is a great demonstration of Florida's faulty licensing policy for electricians. Requirement is for contractor to have 1 license in the office to cover all mechanics in the field. All manner of butchers are wiring our homes.
WOW!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
WOW!
Call Warranty anyhow. Just tell your problem and ask for suggestions. Don't rant and rave or complain. You just may be very surprised about the help you may get.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I have great confidence in your posts.

Is this the issue?

How to Get a License as an Electrical Journeyman in the State of Florida | Bizfluent

I think I may be in trouble with the "keep on track" police.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Default Bad switch

Either incorrect wiring or a bad switch. Yes, they do go bad.

I think that in the end, you'll find that one of the two 3-way switches is bad.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage

OP, if this is going to be a DIY project, please turn off the circuit breaker first, swap the wires as necessary, turn on the circuit breaker, and test each switch for correct operation. If you have an OHM meter BEFORE you turn on the power, you can connect this across the BLACK power wire and the WHITE neutral wire, and test the switches, you should get infinite ohms when the switches are in the OFF positions, and a lower reading when in the ON positions.
Hope this helps.

Tags
light, switch, turn, switches, position