3 Way Light Switches

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,350 Times in 2,506 Posts

Upon completion of repair, please make sure switch securing screws are positioned with grooves pointing North to South.
OCD patrols are in force in The Villages!!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
Either incorrect wiring or a bad switch. Yes, they do go bad.

I think that in the end, you'll find that one of the two 3-way switches is bad.
They do go bad. Had it happen up north and twice here recently.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone for the input good suggestions and a special thanks about the OCD patrols!!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding switches going bad I understand that is possible but all my current and former Rhode Island homes never had the issue. I’m not doubting you it just seems unlikely for the following reason. This is now 2 separate homes they were an issue, first our rental in the winter of 2018 and now in our preowned villa. Plus a friend of mine had the same issue in his newly purchased villa in 2017.

VillageThinker, Thank you for the suggestions, I’ve been around electronics and electricity most of my life. I don’t have an Ohm meter here with me.
I actually have 3 or 4, harbor freight has them for less than $10. If you can wait a couple of weeks, I am very busy with another project, and as soon as it is done, I could give you a hand, let me know.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts
Default Here is a better option

Don't spend 10.00 for a meter. Get one for free, with any purchase, for any amount.
Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, toolbox coupons - 7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER
Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Village Thinker thank you for the offer, if I need assistance I will contact you.

Toymeister, thanks for the lead on the free digital multimeter!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:59 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

As others here have wisely stated, it is either the traveler conductor not wired correctly or a bad switch. I'm guessing the traveler conductor. We find this all the time during our warranty inspections.

The trades are constantly looking for more help. It is difficult to find qualified help in the trades. Also, there may be some pressure to get the job done quickly, and mistakes happen. We would not be so busy if this were not the case.

One should note that in some model homes, especially the designer and premier homes, you can and will find some four way switches. They are a tad more complicated to wire. I've wired a good many homes and I confess that I have to think a moment when wiring these.

If you are not comfortable doing electrical, then I would advise calling a electrician to fix this. You may want to think about any other electrical projects you want to have done to lower the cost.

If you do want to try this yourself, it is pretty simple. You may want to buy a new switch and change the switch(es), wiring it the same way. If it still does this, then you know it IS the traveler conductor, (my first guess). You can take a picture of the wiring with your phone so you do not get confused, and can put it back the way it was.

You would be surprised what some folks will live with, and in some cases never notice. We find some crazy things is some houses....doorknobs installed backwards, etc. With switches, some may just think "that's the way it's supposed to be I guess...."

Frank
Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Upon completion of repair, please make sure switch securing screws are positioned with grooves pointing North to South.
OCD patrols are in force in The Villages!!
OMG. read your comment. Hit the nail on the head for me - I always did/do this when reinstalling elec plates. Thus, yet another reason for my by-line below...

Tags
light, switch, turn, switches, position

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.