30 somethings

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts
Default 30 somethings

I get a news feed about The Villages in my Email everyday. I've noticed that almost every day there is an article about a "30 something person living with their parents in such and such a village was arrested for something". This kind of surprises and saddens me. First that there are so many adults living with their parents in TV and second that some of them are criminals. I'm not writing this to suggest anything. Just an observation.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I get a news feed about The Villages in my Email everyday. I've noticed that almost every day there is an article about a "30 something person living with their parents in such and such a village was arrested for something". This kind of surprises and saddens me. First that there are so many adults living with their parents in TV and second that some of them are criminals. I'm not writing this to suggest anything. Just an observation.
The population of the Villages is around 160,000 now so there are bound to be some people committing crimes within this vast number. These are of various ages. The Villages, Florida - Wikipedia
Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sadly, our problems don't go away just because we moved here. If our children have a drug or alcohol problem, our first instinct is to help them. Even sadder, that "help" comes in the form of enabling. So, until the parents truly see that supporting these offspring does not help them, the rest of us have to put up with these mistakes.

On the plus side, there are several adult children living here that you will never hear about. They are the ones who gave up their lives in another town to become caretakers. They are our unsung heroes. Fortunately, there are more of these Heroes here than you can possibly imagine.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The population of the Villages is around 160,000 now so there are bound to be some people committing crimes within this vast number. These are of various ages. The Villages, Florida - Wikipedia
One would assume that since TV is a 55 and over community that at least 80%(?) of the population is over 55. Yet about half of the crime reported is by persons under 55. Pretty sure that number is disproportionate to the population as a whole.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
For what it's worth, the population of The Villages itself is more like 115,000 during the winter months. This time of the year it's less than 100,000. The number quoted is including the surrounding communities outside of The Villages. The facts are crime is really quite low and the safest place we have lived.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Sage

On the unmentioned website--there was a big police raid on a house near Tierra Del Sol, lots of deputies & an armored vehicle
Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
One would assume that since TV is a 55 and over community that at least 80%(?) of the population is over 55. Yet about half of the crime reported is by persons under 55. Pretty sure that number is disproportionate to the population as a whole.
90 percent of statistics are made up.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sadly, our problems don't go away just because we moved here. If our children have a drug or alcohol problem, our first instinct is to help them. Even sadder, that "help" comes in the form of enabling. So, until the parents truly see that supporting these offspring does not help them, the rest of us have to put up with these mistakes.

On the plus side, there are several adult children living here that you will never hear about. They are the ones who gave up their lives in another town to become caretakers. They are our unsung heroes. Fortunately, there are more of these Heroes here than you can possibly imagine.
"So, until the parents truly see that supporting these offspring does not help them, the rest of us have to put up with these mistakes."

Some of them are HUGE MISTAKES. Hope their mommies are reading this.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
What age group is committing the crimes where you live now?

As has been said, many folks just don't stop loving their children and will always be there when they need help. Bless them as well as the parents who are in the care of their children.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
"So, until the parents truly see that supporting these offspring does not help them, the rest of us have to put up with these mistakes."

Some of them are HUGE MISTAKES. Hope their mommies are reading this.
Regardless of whether or not the parents ever "truly see that supporting these offspring does not help them", residents will live with them as they do every other neighbor who has/had offended the law or not.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
On the unmentioned website--there was a big police raid on a house near Tierra Del Sol, lots of deputies & an armored vehicle
drugs being sold from the house also golf cart chop shop
Old 06-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Old people need to step up their game.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Old people need to step up their game.
Keep an eye out on any house that has adult children living at home. If you see something, say something.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,311 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Keep an eye out on any house that has adult children living at home. If you see something, say something.
Bit of an over generalization with a pinch of paranoia thrown in for flavor.

I know many adult children that live with their older parents. None are criminals or drug dealers. Some have fallen on hard times because of divorce or job loss, some have moved back to care for their parents, and others just never left the nest but they work and are not parasites to their parents.

Id be more concerned if it were a 20-something grandchild that all of a sudden showed up to live with their grandparents.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Unless the adult children or grandchildren are caregivers to their parents or dependent on them due to physical and/or mental challenges most assuredly they are what used to be referred to as "undesirables" of one type or another. They have serious substance abuse issues, criminal histories or other problems which are unlikely, unfortunately, to go away. Needless to say they are incapable of functioning out in society as independent adults. IMHO they do not belong in a 55 and over community which is why some such communities are very strict about not allowing anyone under 55 other than a spouse or caregiver to live there.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-21-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
living, parents, adults, saddens, somethings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.