Restaurant surcharges

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Default Restaurant surcharges

Re: Gator Article in the Briefs, Feb 12, The Daily Sun

I am so glad that Gators restaurant management decided they didnt want to lay off any workers because of Obamcare, so instead they are going to make their customers pay for it by adding a 1% percent surcharge to every bill.
Are they kidding me?

Isnt it bad enough United Healthcare no longer pays Medicare premiums for supplemental insurance in Marion, Sumter and Lake Counties so they can be the sole healthcare provider in the health centers in he Villages (that money now being paid to The Villages as a fee for the privilege). This little fee change added around $96 more taken out of everyones social security check who resides in those counties. Somehow that doesnt seem legal to me o at least fair. Why should we pay for a privilege that benefits them?
Are we now to be faced with surcharges and additional fees at restaurants and other establishments to help defray medical costs? .
How about we agree to Boycott any establishment that puts a surcharge on their bill for that purpose?
So what is small business telling us? They cant afford Obamacare without laying off employees. Am I the only one that thinks this is a problem?
We are slowly going form the Friendliest place in the world to the most nickel and dimed place in the world.
Michael Scotto,
Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomjs View Post

I am so glad that Gators restaurant management decided they didnt want to lay off any workers because of Obamcare, so instead they are going to make their customers pay for it by adding a 1% percent surcharge to every bill.
Are they kidding me?

Isnt it bad enough United Healthcare no longer pays Medicare premiums for supplemental insurance in Marion, Sumter and Lake Counties so they can be the sole healthcare provider in the health centers in he Villages (that money now being paid to The Villages as a fee for the privilege). This little fee change added around $96 more taken out of everyones social security check who resides in those counties. Somehow that doesnt seem legal to me o at least fair. Why should we pay for a privilege that benefits them?
Are we now to be faced with surcharges and additional fees at restaurants and other establishments to help defray medical costs? .
How about we agree to Boycott any establishment that puts a surcharge on their bill for that purpose?
So what is small business telling us? They cant afford Obamacare without laying off employees. Am I the only one that thinks this is a problem?
We are slowly going form the Friendliest place in the world to the most nickel and dimed place in the world.
Michael Scotto,

I don't get the Daily Sun. Can you please clarify, is this RJ Gator's or Gator's Dockside ?

Anyone have a link to the article ?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
I don't get the Daily Sun. Can you please clarify, is this RJ Gator's or Gator's Dockside ?

Anyone have a link to the article ?

Thanks.
I don't have a link but did read it this morning in the Daily Sun. It's Gators Dockside! I don't think we've seen anything yet!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomjs View Post

Are they kidding me?

Michael Scotto,
What if they added a surcharge because the cost of cooking oil went up..........what say you then?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Location: The Villages (previous: Kittery & Eliot Maine, Portsmouth & Barrington NH, Uncasville CT)

They could have added a dollar to each meal and it wouldn't have bothered me. In fact I probably would not have noticed. The surcharge does bother me.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
They were idiots for advertising the fact - should have tricked us into paying by raising the prices ever so slightly.
Have to agree. Pretty dumb to add a surcharge and it will probably backfire.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM

Managing a business means managing the costs associated with doing business. A minor increase in the menu prices would not have been noticed. Publishing the need for a 1% surcharge due to a political policy, is a bad business decision.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 PM

The 1% surcharge is not a business decision but a political statement. Most restaurants are subsidized by the government through the SNAPS program. Since their employees are paid such a low wage with little or no benefits, a fairly large percentage require their subsistence to be subsidized by the taxpayer since their employer fails to do so. And without health benrfits, they are forced to go to the emergency room where they can not denied treatment without cost. Fortunately, the Affordable Care Act will eventually at least address the shortcomings of some employers benefits program.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
The 1% surcharge is not a business decision but a political statement. Most restaurants are subsidized by the government through the SNAPS program. Since their employees are paid such a low wage with little or no benefits, a fairly large percentage require their subsistence to be subsidized by the taxpayer since their employer fails to do so. And without health benrfits, they are forced to go to the emergency room where they can not denied treatment without cost. Fortunately, the Affordable Care Act will eventually at least address the shortcomings of some employers benefits program.
That's exactly right, and I won't be going back to Gators as long as they keep this blatant politically motivated policy in place. Shame on the Gators management!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Sage

And I'll say it again - shame on the for being so dumb to advertise the fact - of course this would cause an outrage - people being blatantly asked to support something many don't agree with.

Bogie - if they had a surcharge because the cost of cooking oil went up it would be just as ridiculous - you figure out a way to suck up the increase or you raise the price - you don't advertise to your customer what you are doing it for.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
That's exactly right, and I won't be going back to Gators as long as they keep this blatant politically motivated policy in place. Shame on the Gators management!
No wonder this country is the shape it's in. A business raising prices to cover increased costs is considered politically motivated.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
And I'll say it again - shame on the for being so dumb to advertise the fact - of course this would cause an outrage - people being blatantly asked to support something many don't agree with.

Bogie - if they had a surcharge because the cost of cooking oil went up it would be just as ridiculous - you figure out a way to suck up the increase or you raise the price - you don't advertise to your customer what you are doing it for.
I agree.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Of course it's political. Haven't been there in years. Have to start going regularly!

Anyone who thought business costs were not going up due to ACA is neither incredibly nave or mathematically challenged.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clekr View Post
Of course it's political. Haven't been there in years. Have to start going regularly!

Anyone who thought business costs were not going up due to ACA is neither incredibly nave or mathematically challenged.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
If you truly believe that the Affordable Care Act has a chance of accomplishing anything good, I think you need to actually try to find anyone who actually works and pays taxes who agrees with you. The only people who are being helped by Obamacare are those with low/no income and they are being shoveled onto Medicaid. Many who previously had insurance are being priced out of coverage. Those with pre-existing conditionals who thought they were going to benefit are finding out that unless they are near the poverty level, they cannot afford to make the decision between the mortgage payment and their $1,000/month insurance related costs (premiums, copays and deductibles).

I know many who have had their premium costs rise from 30% to 130%. Mine went from $380/mo to $730/mo. This does not include all of my additional expenses related to additional taxes related to Obamacare subsidies.

Also, experienced and dedicated waitstaff in restaurants like Gators earn well above minimum wage. In fact they have an opportunity to earn well above the national average income. My 16-year old grandson makes $60 to $80 per night in tips working 4 hours in a Chinese restaurant. He plans on making that much per hour by the time he gets out of college. That is what minimum wage jobs are all about. They are designed to be OJT. Work hard and move up if you have the ability and drive. If not, you do like my father and work two jobs. You do what it takes for yourself and by yourself.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.