400 million $$ amenities purchase

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Platinum member

I think "The Developer" has done a great job of running The Villages. I would rather see them continue in that role than some other form of "government" entity.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 PM

The SLCDD which is similar to VCCDD, so similar that they have the same phone number, both are controlled by the developer, is buying the amenities south of 466.

The VCCDD controlled by the developer, without being required to get residence approval, destroyed an architectural beauty, Katie Belle’s, a residence only club. Now open to the public. Granted low profit could have dictated the change.

When the SLCDD acquires play for free golf courses and Recreation Centers they will have served their purpose of bait for residential buyers. The Recreation Centers could become mini malls or whatever and the golf courses could be new villages. If you don’t like it don’t let the door…….

North of 466 did it right having an AAC.

For those who say, I love the developer, he would not do that. I say don’t let him.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
The SLCDD which is similar to VCCDD, so similar that they have the same phone number, both are controlled by the developer, is buying the amenities south of 466.

The VCCDD controlled by the developer, without being required to get residence approval, destroyed an architectural beauty, Katie Belle’s, a residence only club. Now open to the public. Granted low profit could have dictated the change.

When the SLCDD acquires play for free golf courses and Recreation Centers they will have served their purpose of bait for residential buyers. The Recreation Centers could become mini malls or whatever and the golf courses could be new villages. If you don’t like it don’t let the door…….

North of 466 did it right having an AAC.

For those who say, I love the developer, he would not do that. I say don’t let him.
Well, that certainly is a worse case scenario.

The developer owns the building that contains Katie Belle's. As the owner, he has the right to determine what goes in the building. If the place was doing well, i.e. ROI, nothing likely would have changed. IMO, the restaurant was not returning enough, especially compared to what could be gained by reducing its size and location, opening it to all, and creating a new lease space on the ground floor.

But, you've touched on the one aspect of this transfer that is most concerning. Instead of an AAC for the southern residents, they have decided to use the PWAC to administer amenity funds. But, the PWAC is controlled by the SLCDD with residential CDD representatives present in an advisory capacity only. The north AAC had an advantage in that the revenue from the lawsuit gave them a fund from which they could draw as needed to care for and expand amenities as needed. There is no such nest egg for the south.

Regarding "don't let him", there is no way I can see, unfortunately, outside of legal action that residents can alter the arrangement. The district has already rejected a south AAC. I'm not sure what basis exists for a lawsuit, anyway.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Note: There are amenities south of 466A which will still have to be dealt with at a future time. 400 million is just a few dollars above my pay grade!
Old 10-15-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Well, that certainly is a worse case scenario.

Regarding "don't let him", there is no way I can see, unfortunately, outside of legal action that residents can alter the arrangement. The district has already rejected a south AAC. I'm not sure what basis exists for a lawsuit, anyway.
It is not over till the POA sings. They won the case north of 466.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:27 AM
Email Reported As Spam

coldnomore:

I have repeated your below-stated comments on these pages since signing on to TOTV and Developer proponents have always shouted me down.

And I never understood the sentimentality and devotion to a business entity Villages Lake-Sumter, Inc/aka Developer? To me the relationship is business not personal. VLSI built a community by leveraging debt eventually paid for by residents and in doing so made huge profits. Its called capitalism which I favor but developers don't do it because of altrusims but profit motives so the "look what the developer built just for us" remarks leaves me bewildered

Residents still do no having any voting rights as it all generates from the board of supervisors picked and owned by the Developer and who also control [t]he District in matters that count; albeit they won't admit it. Look at the annual survey questions and you will note they are all puff questions. Perhaps this is best? Perhaps residents should have an opportunity to decide for themselves?

In my opinion Shadow is correct as respects his/her comments pertaining to POA and the AAC.

In the end its all good

I opine others can decide

(coldnomore's comments)

The concern that I have with this particular sale is that it is being sold to the SLCCD, not the individual districts... and the Developer will basically maintain control.

Thereby, having the cake...and eating it too.

Exactly as shown in the underlined portion in the middle of the above quote.

A quick look at who is on the SLCDD Board confirms that: SLCDD board includes Mike Berning, head of sales and marketing for The Villages; Nisbett, owner of country clubs in The Villages; Brad Brown, who headed Villages Insurance for many years; Gerry Lachnicht of Sabal Trust Company; and Randy McDaniel, head of The Villages Charter School.

Then again, some people prefer not to have to worry about such things and are perfectly content with someone else making decisions for them.

Last edited by rubicon; 10-16-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Note: There are amenities south of 466A which will still have to be dealt with at a future time. 400 million is just a few dollars above my pay grade!
According to the Sun, this purchase is of ALL amenities south on 466, including Eisenhower, Rohan, and everything down to 44.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I believe the only way the residents can get control is if the family decides to sell all the property in the town squares since the only people who can vote for representatives in the central CDDs (VCCDD and LSCDD) are the landowners in that CDD, which is the family. Residents can elect representatives in their residential CDD, but their power is very limited to that CDD only and has no control over amenities (south of 466, as the AAC has authority north of 466).

I expect/hope the revenue stream from our amenity fees will cover the purchase with sufficient surplus to address repair and renovation. This was, I believe, the main reason for the lawsuit and settlement that resulted in the AAC.
You are correct !! What bothers me a great deal is that the decision to more or less force us into the purchase was determined by a board that is totally appointed by the Developer. Every member has a connection to the Developer.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Default Bonds

The SLCDD purchases the income stream from amenity money as well as the buildings. They then issue taxable bonds to pay for the purchases. The amenity income stream pays off the bond. The result of this action causes a large percent of our amenity money to be used for those payments and not for lifestyle activities.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
People should pay more than their fair share of taxes, they should never use any carry forward losses in order to increase the tax base to provide the funding necessary for Syrian immigrants to relocate to America and build them mosques.
Hang in there Al. The Political Forum should be coming back soon.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Hang in there Al. The Political Forum should be coming back soon.
Thanks, It's tough. At least I have the pleasure and distraction of Chicago winning the series. And the NFL pool with its large prize, thanks Tal.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:56 PM

Dear cold no more, chapter 190 statute regarding cdd should be required reading for for all people thinking of moving to the villages. The developer has certainly taken advantage of this statute with no regard for the harm it has inflicted on the people who made him millions(maybe billons). Looks like he has no intention of stopping his abuse of power. We have no vote or say in what he is doing. We are at mercy of money hungry, power hungry despot. Waiting to see what financial repercussions of the bridge situation & $400 millon in bonds issued in the name of the villagers. People who look at developer through their rose tinted glasses may
see things differently when it affects their hard earned retirement savins.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Setting aside the control issue for a moment, the selling of things from a private to a public entity should enhance the public’s ability to access information on “what is going on”. And, all decisions should then be judged as to whether they are made in the Public not private interest.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:00 AM

Developer made sure that everying below 466 was cdd. If you read the chapter 190 florida statute on cdds(provided by one of the villagers on this site) developers have total control over these districts. Developer can do anything he wants & shift the financial responsibily to the villagers(i.e. Morse bridge, $400m in bonds,etc). We have no vote. He is in total control. He does not have to exercise these rights(some fair minded deveopers don't) but developer has taken the low road to greed. I'm confident morse family has an entire law firm looking out for their interests.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicata View Post
Developer made sure that everying below 466 was cdd. If you read the chapter 190 florida statute on cdds(provided by one of the villagers on this site) developers have total control over these districts. Developer can do anything he wants & shift the financial responsibily to the villagers(i.e. Morse bridge, $400m in bonds,etc). We have no vote. He is in total control. He does not have to exercise these rights(some fair minded deveopers don't) but developer has taken the low road to greed. I'm confident morse family has an entire law firm looking out for their interests.
I would like to hear more detailed information on the differences between north and south of 466.

I admit to being very naive about cdd's, deed restrictions etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
amenities, homeowners, million$, plumbing, electrical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.