$45.00 centurylink internet for life

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2017, 11:37 PM

Snail speed? I get 40-45 MBPS, which is plenty fast for all of my streaming, for $43 a month. We have fiber optic service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
$45 is not a good deal for their slow speeds. It will be an even worse deal in a few years when everyone else has at least 100 mg and you're stuck at snail speed.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I recently got Spectrum select triple play for about $100 per month. Internet speed on my hardwired desktop averages 110 mbps to 115 mbps.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
In some parts of TV (but not all), CenturyLink is fiber optic via a fiber optic cable. I have that and the internet service is great - customer support not so much so.
Agree 100%, I have fiber optic it is 80 mbs plenty fast. Customer service is terrible if you want to talk to a person only get the automated service.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
My $19 Comcast internet bill allows me to flawlessly stream Netflix, Amazon Prime and anything else in 1080p. My laptop and phone work without any problems. Why would anybody need more speed and pay a higher price? Do we have that many "gamers" here in TV? Or are we all watching tv in 4K?
Is that $19 Mo. part of a Package? I pay $45 per month and get the local networks for no additional cost via Roku over the internet. My cable bill used to be over $100 per month which included TV service. There are also a treasure chest of free movies. Add in the Magic Jack for phone service at $20 per year and I've got all three, TV, Internet, and Phone for $46.66 per month. If you are addicted to the way the old cable packages for TV were originally, you can subscribe, with no contract, to a service like Sling, Directv Now, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, at about $40 per month. The same packages as the Cable is selling for about $60 per month. All in HD quality. This is why people want something different.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
Snail speed? I get 40-45 MBPS, which is plenty fast for all of my streaming, for $43 a month. We have fiber optic service.
Unless you have a few Teenagers living with you anything over 20 Mbps is just Commercial Hype.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
Is that $19 Mo. part of a Package? I pay $45 per month and get the local networks for no additional cost via Roku over the internet. My cable bill used to be over $100 per month which included TV service. There are also a treasure chest of free movies. Add in the Magic Jack for phone service at $20 per year and I've got all three, TV, Internet, and Phone for $46.66 per month. If you are addicted to the way the old cable packages for TV were originally, you can subscribe, with no contract, to a service like Sling, Directv Now, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, at about $40 per month. The same packages as the Cable is selling for about $60 per month. All in HD quality. This is why people want something different.
$19 direct auto-billed, internet only. Speed is reliably over 10mps, which is all I need to stream Netflix, Prime, and my Slingbox from up north. We also use a MagicApp on our ipod that allows unlimited phone calls and texting for $9.95 per year. And I recently put up a roof antenna that pulls in 50+ free tv channels (all the networks plus a whole lotta crap). So why would I want to do "cable"?
Old 12-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
$19 direct auto-billed, internet only. Speed is reliably over 10mps, which is all I need to stream Netflix, Prime, and my Slingbox from up north. We also use a MagicApp on our ipod that allows unlimited phone calls and texting for $9.95 per year. And I recently put up a roof antenna that pulls in 50+ free tv channels (all the networks plus a whole lotta crap). So why would I want to do "cable"?
I agree about cable. I'm not sure why anyone subscribes to cable TV any more or Satellite. You are also correct 10 Mbps is adequate to do HD Streaming, Internet Browsing, and phone all at the same time. Its exactly what I had for years. Are there any data caps? I also installed an antenna. 95% of the time it works just fine. Found an app for Roku which gives you the Major Networks live over the internet. I use it when the antenna has a problem. You are also right on target about the junk over the air. There are some fun stations to watch though. The only ones not available over the air are the Cable Only channels. So if your interested in those one must subscribe to something like Sling, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, or the like. The solution and cost of service depends on where you live. In most cases residential has two choices, Cable Internet or DSL Internet from the phone company. Both will provide what's necessary. You just have to figure out best service for the price that meets your needs. Very few will ever use up 100 Mbps. I went with the CenturyLink DSL higher speed because my wife and I started to use more bandwidth and it was 60% less with no data caps then my cabe ISP provider. With the phone, two HD feeds, security cameras, irrigation, and a few other items now on the internet we were pushing that 10 Mbps. I now have 29 Mbps and will probably not over load that ever. I can't get that speed with no data cap for $19. Sounds like you got it under control.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

I checked the $19.99 Comcast deal. After the first year it goes to $49.99 pule taxes.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman41 View Post
I checked the $19.99 Comcast deal. After the first year it goes to $49.99 pule taxes.
There are a lot of deals like that one. Set the hook and keep them on the line. I'm surprised CenturyLink has the promotion and vows to keep it there. You have to read the fine print however. Your account must be kept in good standing and no changes. So what does that mean? Mine is on auto-pay so it should never have a problem. My previous ISP had a data cap. Data cap on a cable line, what was up with that? I tried to tell them this was nonsense but they would never listen. So bye bye they went. No more of my money. I will say however they have an excellent service department. Also their cost was WAY out of line. I don't have a problem with data caps but theirs was just ridiculous for a cable company. Centurylink says there is no data cap but start downloading at 25 Mbps for 24 hours a day, every day and see what happens. You'll see a data cap or get a phone call. Most of these contracts say speed is not guaranteed. Just a legal way to reduce the speed should they believe your out of line. Spectrum is another ISP who claims no data cap. Comcast settled for 1 TB of data as their cap limit per month. If you use that much data you should get back to real life and stop playing Call to Duty 24 hours a day..... The other thing that is a money maker for the ISP's is the charge for the Modem. Buy your own for $70 to $100. That $5 per month fee you pay is buying a new one for them every year. In 20 years I've had one modem failure. I saw some comments about CenturyLink service. Get used to it, they are all headed toward using the same service model. Service requests will be done using the internet. Problem is the reason I need service is the Internet is not working. Hows that working for you???? Wait till you see how things get done when the Millennia s are totally in charge..... Its going to get interesting.....
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, bill, life, centurylink, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.