0.00 Month Water Bills

$500.00 Month Water Bills

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 10-04-2019, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Topspinmo I hear you as I have seen the same in my neighborhood. However, if you have your irrigation system programmed correctly and you have the water to the house turned off while on vacation up north and you use 60,000 gallons of water then what is the problem? You have the system checked inside and out for leaks by experts, and can’t find any leaks it almost has to be a water meter problem. In some cases the water utility checked the meters, and found a “faulty” meter. An adjustment in the bill was made. In other cases the meter was said to be okay by the water utility and the owner had to reluctantly pay the high water bill. Can a lightning strike close by cause a temporary surge in a meter and when checked the meter be deemed okay? That question is above my pay grade and my expertise.
It is not above my pay grade. The meter works by my the motion of water spinning a needle. The tip of the needle, for lack of a better explaination, has a magnet. Separate from the mechanical aspect of the meter a counter counts how many times the magnet passes by it. This count is what the meter reader is checking with the probe. Count equals gallons.

If somehow an electromagnetic force interferes with the count your Bill Will be off. A lightning strike is a massive electromagnetic force.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toymeister For This Useful Post:

Old 10-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Veteran member

Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

Our irrigation was off inside water off, used 48,000 gallons of water. No leaks in system, verification by 2 companies, we are checking into bill.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

So, how does a water monitor play into this. Let's take two customers, both are up north both have the water shut off. neither has a pool, the neighbors do not have a pool. One has a monitor one does not. Both get a Bill for 60,000 gallons. One has water consumption data for a year, every single day, that matches every bill for the past year except this bill, the other has nothing. The monitor has national accreditation for accuracy. What would you do if you were receiving the complaint at the water utility?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toymeister For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Our irrigation was off inside water off, used 48,000 gallons of water. No leaks in system, verification by 2 companies, we are checking into bill.
There are irrigation controllers that install their own "meter" that tell you how many gallons are used. It is plumbed and will give you data for any leak down line. But why do that when you can get a read directly from the meter by Wi-Fi?

I just do not understand why people only think of this after a problem comes out. Every. Single. House. that I have owned has had a water leak. Pipe fitting burst, washing machine hose, ice maker, irrigation lines. They all have failed. No more, if I have a problem I will fix immediately and not post about it to strangers on the internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toymeister For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedfromGA View Post
Along the same lines of meter accuracy, has anyone actually verified their water meter accuracy? Any suggestions as to how check the accuracy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I have. I use a Flume Wi-Fi water monitor that measures water use at the meter using non invasive means, tells me exactly how much water I am using,, real time. It gives alerts for leaks as well. If you want 10% off I have a coupon code for it (PM me). Full price is 199.00 at Amazon'.
I use one for irrigation, one for potable water. It was ten minute job to install. No pipe cutting, no plumber. If you can tie your shoes you have got this.
Does the Flume confirm that the meter supplied by the water company is accurately measuring your usage?
Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Does the Flume confirm that the meter supplied by the water company is accurately measuring your usage?
Yes in a micro sense and in a ounce sense. Let me explain. You flush your toilet in your 2011 home and it reads 1.2 or 1.3 gallons, spec is 1.28 gallons for that year home. You run your water at the sink and it gives you the flow at 1 gallon per minute, sinks have 1 GPM restrictor. You take some container that you are certain contains one gallon and fill it, One gallon is read.

There are other devices that do this, some are plumbed in, some include a Wi-Fi shut off valve, some require a subscription. None are cheaper, no other measures at the meter, no subscription cost. It is cheap because it is simple. It just counts the magnet passes on the meter. The software is simple.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Yes in a micro sense and in a ounce sense. Let me explain. You flush your toilet in your 2011 home and it reads 1.2 or 1.3 gallons, spec is 1.28 gallons for that year home. You run your water at the sink and it gives you the flow at 1 gallon per minute, sinks have 1 GPM restrictor. You take some container that you are certain contains one gallon and fill it, One gallon is read.

There are other devices that do this, some are plumbed in, some include a Wi-Fi shut off valve, some require a subscription. None are cheaper, no other measures at the meter, no subscription cost. It is cheap because it is simple. It just counts the magnet passes on the meter. The software is simple.
Have you found any billing discrepancies to justify the cost Or is this just an “insurance policy”?
Old 10-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
We've seen 20,000 gallon use on a monthly basis since we bought the house in March. Thing is, we've only actually occupied the house for around 1 week out of each of those months. The sprinkler system is set to go off twice weekly for 15 minutes each time, and has some kind of detection system to not turn on if it's currently raining when it's supposed to turn on.

I called the water company the first month I saw it happen and they insisted this was normal useage and all was well. Since the bill wasn't insanely high, we just kind of let it slide for a couple of months.

But I was still suspicious something might be wrong and checked with a neighbor, who told me his useage is around 8,000 gallons on average, and that's with him and his wife living there year 'round, and their adult son coming to visit often.

Once we're down there "permanent" I'll get it straightened out, but there's little I can do til I'm actually there to check the meter, and also see if somehow, someone else is tapping their water usage onto our meter.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

"The Flume Smart Home Water Monitor straps around your home’s existing water meter"

What does the water company say when they see this strapped around their equipment?
Old 10-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Gold member

Last edited by Velvet; 10-04-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Tags
water, bills, residents, line, irrigation