$500.00 Month Water Bills

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Does the Flume confirm that the meter supplied by the water company is accurately measuring your usage?
Yes in a micro sense and in a ounce sense. Let me explain. You flush your toilet in your 2011 home and it reads 1.2 or 1.3 gallons, spec is 1.28 gallons for that year home. You run your water at the sink and it gives you the flow at 1 gallon per minute, sinks have 1 GPM restrictor. You take some container that you are certain contains one gallon and fill it, One gallon is read.

There are other devices that do this, some are plumbed in, some include a Wi-Fi shut off valve, some require a subscription. None are cheaper, no other measures at the meter, no subscription cost. It is cheap because it is simple. It just counts the magnet passes on the meter. The software is simple.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Yes in a micro sense and in a ounce sense. Let me explain. You flush your toilet in your 2011 home and it reads 1.2 or 1.3 gallons, spec is 1.28 gallons for that year home. You run your water at the sink and it gives you the flow at 1 gallon per minute, sinks have 1 GPM restrictor. You take some container that you are certain contains one gallon and fill it, One gallon is read.

There are other devices that do this, some are plumbed in, some include a Wi-Fi shut off valve, some require a subscription. None are cheaper, no other measures at the meter, no subscription cost. It is cheap because it is simple. It just counts the magnet passes on the meter. The software is simple.
Have you found any billing discrepancies to justify the cost Or is this just an “insurance policy”?
Old 10-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Our irrigation was off inside water off, used 48,000 gallons of water. No leaks in system, verification by 2 companies, we are checking into bill.
We've seen 20,000 gallon use on a monthly basis since we bought the house in March. Thing is, we've only actually occupied the house for around 1 week out of each of those months. The sprinkler system is set to go off twice weekly for 15 minutes each time, and has some kind of detection system to not turn on if it's currently raining when it's supposed to turn on.

I called the water company the first month I saw it happen and they insisted this was normal useage and all was well. Since the bill wasn't insanely high, we just kind of let it slide for a couple of months.

But I was still suspicious something might be wrong and checked with a neighbor, who told me his useage is around 8,000 gallons on average, and that's with him and his wife living there year 'round, and their adult son coming to visit often.

Once we're down there "permanent" I'll get it straightened out, but there's little I can do til I'm actually there to check the meter, and also see if somehow, someone else is tapping their water usage onto our meter.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Gold member

"The Flume Smart Home Water Monitor straps around your home’s existing water meter"

What does the water company say when they see this strapped around their equipment?
Old 10-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,736 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 10-04-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
There are irrigation controllers that install their own "meter" that tell you how many gallons are used. It is plumbed and will give you data for any leak down line. But why do that when you can get a read directly from the meter by Wi-Fi?

I just do not understand why people only think of this after a problem comes out. Every. Single. House. that I have owned has had a water leak. Pipe fitting burst, washing machine hose, ice maker, irrigation lines. They all have failed. No more, if I have a problem I will fix immediately and not post about it to strangers on the internet.
I have never had a water leak in any of the houses that I have owned.

I see this as very low risk, and therefore not worth investing the kind of money that you suggest.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

I've never had a fire...... spend alot more on fire insurance!
Old 10-04-2019, 09:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
"The Flume Smart Home Water Monitor straps around your home’s existing water meter"

What does the water company say when they see this strapped around their equipment?
The bottom line is they don't see it.

Your meter is not read by a human opening the box and reading numbers. S/he takes a stick with a wireless reader and passes it over the meter box. If S/he did open the box it would triple the time at each home. But let's say today, your box gets opened, next to the meter is flumes reader, it is black with a white on red sticker "DO NOT REMOVE".

It could happen. If the chance that it could occur bothers you then get a device that reads your pipe in your house at your water main. Streamlabs is one such product.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Have you found any billing discrepancies to justify the cost Or is this just an “insurance policy”?
I did not buy it for that purpose, it is for leaks. I already caught a blown irrigation pipe. It was plainly visible when it was operating, it shot out for twelve feet. Home watch did notice, the neighbors did not call. I spotted it 850 miles away.

The damage from a potable water leak is real. Just because it hasn't happened to you does not change the risk.

I don't care if anyone gets the product, I posted to show what can be done. You are not helpless for leaks or bad bills.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I had a $200 water bill 2 months ago but it was my fault. Had 2 new TOTO toilets installed when we moved in that are so quiet you can't hear them running after they fill the tank after the flush. Jacobs visited our house twice to tell us our water bill was too high and something was wrong. Couldn't find a leak anywhere but knew it was inside because meter stopped spinning when main shutoff was off. Had fears of underground break. Finally went around turning off water lines 1 at a time until we found the culprit. Turned out toilet in M/BR was forever running but with total silence. I replaced the $15 flapper unit which we killed with bleach tablets in the tank and the mysterious water running stopped as did our spinning meter. Bill down under $40. The crazy "flapper" (actually called a TOWER) they use runs 100% silent when it leaks and there is no sound of water filling the tank. The replacement one was the "normal" flapper and you can hear when the tank is filling if it leaks.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I had a $200 water bill 2 months ago but it was my fault. Had 2 new TOTO toilets installed when we moved in that are so quiet you can't hear them running after they fill the tank after the flush. Jacobs visited our house twice to tell us our water bill was too high and something was wrong. Couldn't find a leak anywhere but knew it was inside because meter stopped spinning when main shutoff was off. Had fears of underground break. Finally went around turning off water lines 1 at a time until we found the culprit. Turned out toilet in M/BR was forever running but with total silence. I replaced the $15 flapper unit which we killed with bleach tablets in the tank and the mysterious water running stopped as did our spinning meter. Bill down under $40. The crazy "flapper" (actually called a TOWER) they use runs 100% silent when it leaks and there is no sound of water filling the tank. The replacement one was the "normal" flapper and you can hear when the tank is filling if it leaks.
Had the same thing happen only a renter did the right thing and tell me about in. No problem I had a repairman out.

Renters sent him away as it was "too inconvenient" to repair it. No reschedule. I got a service call bill for his trouble(fair). Renters let it leak until they left. No one bothered to tell me about the situation.

That is what convinced me to get a leak monitor.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I've never had a fire...... spend alot more on fire insurance!
We had a hose on washer burst about 15years ago up in Illinois while we were gone for just the day. Around $100,000 total unbelievable claim damage. Insurance paid most of it. Adjuster said they had more claims from water than fire. Who turns off the water to washer every time they leave their house? The washer was only 2 years old but apparently the rubber hoses they use aren’t all that great. Replace them with the metal type. Lesson learned.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,916 Times in 2,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Topspinmo I hear you as I have seen the same in my neighborhood. However, if you have your irrigation system programmed correctly and you have the water to the house turned off while on vacation up north and you use 60,000 gallons of water then what is the problem? You have the system checked inside and out for leaks by experts, and can’t find any leaks it almost has to be a water meter problem. In some cases the water utility checked the meters, and found a “faulty” meter. An adjustment in the bill was made. In other cases the meter was said to be okay by the water utility and the owner had to reluctantly pay the high water bill. Can a lightning strike close by cause a temporary surge in a meter and when checked the meter be deemed okay? That question is above my pay grade and my expertise.
I think in case of snowbird I would have the water shut off and see if you got bill for that month showing the high usage. I also think lightning screws up settings on irrigation systems. I set mine and If I don’t monitor it closely it’s back to default mode watering 6 times week ( 3 during morning and three during evening). I would think lightning strike could mess with meter if it was close enough to metal lines. If the lines are PVC I would think lightning would have hit right by the meter to give erroneous reading.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
There are irrigation controllers that install their own "meter" that tell you how many gallons are used. It is plumbed and will give you data for any leak down line. But why do that when you can get a read directly from the meter by Wi-Fi?

I just do not understand why people only think of this after a problem comes out. Every. Single. House. that I have owned has had a water leak. Pipe fitting burst, washing machine hose, ice maker, irrigation lines. They all have failed. No more, if I have a problem I will fix immediately and not post about it to strangers on the internet.
So you assume people only think of this after. Since our family does irrigation systems, we are WiFi connected. Cameras trigger video when certain heads are triggered, storage in cloud. There was a meter problem,. Took awhile to get it corrected.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
So you assume people only think of this after. Since our family does irrigation systems, we are WiFi connected. Cameras trigger video when certain heads are triggered, storage in cloud. There was a meter problem,. Took awhile to get it corrected.
I believe one system is equal to none, two is one and sadly humans can't be counted on.

So whether you use a WiFi irrigation controller and a water monitor as I do, or a camera and another automated means to verify you have this covered. That said almost no one thinks about this until there is an issue.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, bills, residents, line, irrigation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.