55+ ??????

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Sure does leave a lot of room.............80% under. Never heard that one before.

But again, I'm not a dentist.
Obviously a typo. Thank you for pointing it out.

Here's is the actual law that has been posted in this thread already, but it seems that many have trouble understanding.

Quote:
Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes
For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:
1. At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.
2. The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.
3. The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.
Anyone living in the Villages under age 19 should have been granted a special permission usually due to their special needs.

Here is more detail if anyone is interested.

Housing for Older Persons Directory / Resources / Home - Florida Commission on Human Relations

I don't understand why this keeps coming up. It seems that so many people don't take the time to read a synopsis of a simple law.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:09 AM

Most just got out of jail or are strung out on drugs and cant make it on their own so mom or dad take them in...
Old 12-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elshackovillages View Post
Just a question. I have seen over the last 3 months, police records from all 3 counties, of arrests of Village residents. How is it that, of the 60 or so people arrested, all but a few were under 55, and, some under 19. How could all these underage people be living in the Villages. The police reports say "resident of the Villages", not visitor.
The sad case in a lot these felons is they are losers and moved in with mom and dad because they couldn't make a life for themselves , others are legimate and are helping care for elderly amd do work and are good citizens. There are up to 20% of total can be under 55
Old 12-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe 80% of the homes need to be occupied by at least one person 55 or over. In the case of someone living with their parents, as long as they are 19 or over there aren't any percentages that are applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
The sad case in a lot these felons is they are losers and moved in with mom and dad because they couldn't make a life for themselves , others are legimate and are helping care for elderly amd do work and are good citizens. There are up to 20% of total can be under 55

Last edited by tuccillo; 12-18-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,618 Times in 3,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12755 View Post
Most just got out of jail or are strung out on drugs and cant make it on their own so mom or dad take them in...
Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 AM

New bees seem to think The Villages is a resort, IT'S NOT... this is just another community of people like any other except for the 55 and over thing...people live their lives here just like any other city, so you get the good and the bad..just like everywhere else..the sooner people realize this and quit thinking there entitled to certain things the happier they will be...from what I have observed it usually takes 1 to 2 years to figure out your not special...
Old 12-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,296 Times in 534 Posts

Age is 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
The only age requirement is that a person must be over age 18 in order to live in The Villages. 18 or under can only visit up to 30 days per year. Of course, that is just about impossible to monitor since children and grandchildren from the 3 counties can get passes to be here 30 days at a time and keep getting extensions.

It is only checked if a neighbor complains to Deed Compliance - and we all know Villagers never would stick their nose in someone else's business.
For the record, you are suppose to be 19 or older to live full-time. That said, these rules are rarely enforced unless there is a complaint. Lots of rentals in TV and many “fly under the radar”. TV is still a great community and a wonderful retirement lifestyle. Until the unnamed on-line news, it was rare to see any arrests in TV.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:56 AM
Thumbs up Crime

You all are so worried about people’s ages living in the villages.. I would stop worrying about people’s ages and start worrying about the CRIMES being committed in the villages. There are rules and I know plenty of people who were evicted for having children under 19 living in the villages.. Merry Christmas
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubagirl33 View Post
They could be household residents of parents or family members. They’re issued ID cards that get renewed every two years with continued proof of residency at the same address.
They have to have one parent working here to have a child (these aren't children) under 18 yrs. old live here. Also a certain percentage under 55 can live here too, that's what I've heard. Besides why in the would a parent have a so called child this old living with them. To me this would mean they're dead beats & mooching off of mom & dad. I agree with you ARUBAGIRL33. If The Villages want to let children live here let them but for gods sake don't let some 45 to 55 yr. old come in with them. Yes, it does seem like when you hear about trouble in TV it does seem like it's usually these so called 55 yr. old children. But what are we going to do about it. Personally we're looking to move as soon as we find another home back where we used to live, but not because of this so much but it is part of why were moving. GOOD QUESTION THOUGH!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
You can find lotsa facts re 55+ communities at this website:
Housing for Older Persons Directory / Resources / Home - Florida Commission on Human Relations

The short answer is:
For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:
1. At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.
2. The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.
3. The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.

Anyone living in the Villages under age 19 should have been granted a special permission usually due to their special needs.
I agree with what you're saying but don't you really that a so called child living with a parent yet that's 50/55 yrs. old could be trouble unless they're severly handicapped? This is a little shady to me.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I agree with what you're saying but don't you really that a so called child living with a parent yet that's 50/55 yrs. old could be trouble unless they're severly handicapped? This is a little shady to me.
Shady? I think that it's an interesting point. Could you please elaborate?

Thank you
Old 12-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
See post #3 for the CORRECT answer. I don't know how so many people live here and don't know the rules.
njbchbum gave the correct answer in post #3.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
You can find lotsa facts re 55+ communities at this website:

The short answer is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
What I posted is the law - not my opinion that needs agreement.

An older child living with parents is "shady'? LOL I know several parents who have opened their homes to returning children, which children have returned for NUMEROUS reasons - from addiction to divorce to illness to unemployment to financial ruin to caring for thier parents, ETC! I do not judge why the children return; and it is clear that the parents accept them back because they still love their children! The same holds true no matter where parents live and where/when children need assistance - no matter the age of the parents or their children.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:21 PM

A lot of the people that live in the Villages, think like where they live, wake up people, The Villages is not HEAVEN. No matter where you live there is crime and not always from the young. Enjoy all that The Villages offer. Life is what it is, just saying..................
Old 12-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie 136 View Post
A lot of the people that live in the Villages, think like where they live, wake up people, The Villages is not HEAVEN. No matter where you live there is crime and not always from the young. Enjoy all that The Villages offer. Life is what it is, just saying..................
As Harold Schwartz would say, "What can be done to make the villages better?"

Then ask yourself if your complaint is reasonable.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, villages, police, underage, resident

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.