55 and under getting in trouble

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 AM

Thank you all so much!!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Missing

I guess no one wants to point a finger at the drinking and effects on behavior. In looking at the statistics you might want to see how many crimes and accidents have some form of drinking involved. Just drive by the restaurants at Lake Sumter Landing and see the abundant number of people at the bar who will leave impaired? A sizable number of crimes, etc have some level of drinking involved. Just don't understand why the Sheriff doesn't post a deputy in the square to observe those leaving the bars in the evening? Being drunk has no age limits
Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 AM
theruizs

We are in our 60s and have lived here for 5 years now. We have never experienced any problem with anyone of any age. In fact it is kind of nice to occassionally interact here with some of the "younger" crowd, their perspective on life and TV is interesting and valuable. Do not rumors put you off. Spend some time here and see for yourselves!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The problem lies not with the responsible under 55s who are residing in TV to assist their parents - God bless them; it lies with the substance abusers, felons and other losers who are unable to live on their own and return to the nest to live off mommy and daddy who take them in, usually again and again. These whippersnappers commit crimes disproportionate to their numbers.
I agree, and some responsibility rests with mommy and daddy as well. Unfortunately, enabling is not a crime. Perhaps someday, somewhere, a hotshot young assistant DA will charge the parents with "aiding and abetting" , then we'll see where a test case might lead.....
Old 07-31-2017, 07:44 AM
Default Young and older

I don't live in TV, but I do come to visit for a few days when family is down. Never did I see a younger adult causing problems. However, I did see older crowds drinking, getting drunk and acting like children, but not in bad way. TV is a beautiful place to retire. No matter where you choose to live, you will always get a few people causing a problem regardless of age.
For the few comments here saying how the adult loser children come back to mommy and daddy, that is the cruelest thing to say. You don't know their situation. Those adult children might be there to help a sick parent, or perhaps lost their job. Etc. To call anyone a loser without knowing the details doesn't make you sound anymore intelligent. I have a grown professional adult child who works very hard, and if one day he needed my assistance, or I needed his, it's no ones business who lives with who. With some of the comments here, I personally wouldn't want you for my neighbor.
All said and done, TV is a beautiful place to retire, just mind your own business, and keep your business to yourself or it will come back to bite you!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
According to the FBI crime statistics, only 4.6% of crimes nationwide are committed by people 55 and over. So all younger age groups commit crime disproportionate to their numbers. However, when a crime is committed in TV, there is a greater likelihood than the national average that someone over 55 was responsible, simply because the overwhelming majority of residents are over 55.
Taking that a step further, the average village age is well over 70, or I think even over 75 according to the lastest Sumter County demographics. Having any significant percentage of crimes committed by those residents under 55 in this very "old" community that has very little overall crime to begin with, screams that these "youngsters" are problematic and commit FAR more crime than their numbers proportionately. Not understanding and admitting that is just burying your head in the sand or the snow as it may be.

Parents always defend their kids, no matter how bad. Most are good, but parents of hoodlums will often not admit it as it may well reflect bad parenting.

Read the arrest reports over a period of time. The thing Speaks for itself.

One villager once said raising kids was one criteria for her to value your opinion. I think raising "successful" children is the goal and that is to be admired above all. If your adult children come back to live with you out of necessity in a retirement community, often the parents and children can share the blame.

These comments are directed at those that commit the crimes and their parents. Some of us that have lived here a few years might know some of these families.

Last edited by Allegiance; 07-31-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuly914 View Post
I don't live in TV, but I do come to visit for a few days when family is down. Never did I see a younger adult causing problems. However, I did see older crowds drinking, getting drunk and acting like children, but not in bad way. TV is a beautiful place to retire. No matter where you choose to live, you will always get a few people causing a problem regardless of age.
For the few comments here saying how the adult loser children come back to mommy and daddy, that is the cruelest thing to say. You don't know their situation. Those adult children might be there to help a sick parent, or perhaps lost their job. Etc. To call anyone a loser without knowing the details doesn't make you sound anymore intelligent. I have a grown professional adult child who works very hard, and if one day he needed my assistance, or I needed his, it's no ones business who lives with who. With some of the comments here, I personally wouldn't want you for my neighbor.
All said and done, TV is a beautiful place to retire, just mind your own business, and keep your business to yourself or it will come back to bite you!

Well Said.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thoughtfully written, and I might add that there are some societies that encourage many generations living together in a large home; marrieds and older people and children, with all looking after each other. I am quite sure there are clashes and tensions, but also the result is often greater knowledge of life and better ways to successfully deal with common problems. We had neighbors who moved from India. He came to work for Proctor and Gamble in Cincinnati as an engineer and she was an OB Gyn who immediately began the process to become accredited in the States. It was our pleasure to meet several visiting members of her large family and to enjoy all of them. They joked a lot about arranged marriages working better than randomly dating. We so enjoyed their views and their humor, their acceptance of our ways. and interest in learning all about living in the U.S. and their kindness and genuine affection.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your intelligence and compassion.

I have been here in the Villages since 2005 living with my parents and working on many things during that time. I do have to help them out quite a bit even more now that they are getting quite senior in age. I just cannot take off to DC or wherever when I want. Or even to Tampa for that matter. I have been on TOTV since July 2007 often working on some of these things.

My sister-in-law works for victims of crimes in the Washington, DC area so they cannot come down here as often as I would like. And she grew up in that area of Virginia.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-31-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Nice story, but the thread is "under 55 and getting into trouble in the villages."
Here is another story, another neighbor in Ohio,has a young son, one who was born with autism who lives with them. He is now a young man, and has just finished all of the public schooling. I think Ryan is now 21. His mother is trained as a teacher, but had to retire in order to see that Ryan was safe when he came home from school. His father holds an executive position with one of the large food chains that have their headquarters in Ohio. Ryan can do many things but cannot hold a job. His parents will be his caregivers as long as they live.

And adding more to the story about Autism in general, it is a spectrum disorder, with many achieving high levels of education, who are very articulate and high functioning but still cannot hold jobs because they are emotionally stressed in an abnormal way with close contacts with others and demands placed on them they are unable to meet.

I kind of think that this relates to children living with their parents, here or anywhere. It is difficult and sometimes unfair to summarily pass judgment on others who appear to be quite bright and normal, but not being successful in the real world. Sometimes they are peddling as fast as they can.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-31-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You know, there's no city or town perfect. I don't think there's any place that's crime free, know matter what the age is. TV isn't perfect but lots better than any other town or city our size. Where ever you have free entertainment & serve alcohol you're bound to have some kind of trouble because it brings in a younger crowds & undesirable people. So face it, it's going to happen!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:26 AM

Actually, there's no requirement that any percentage of TV's residents be under 55. There is a minimum percentage required for 55 and over, though. Confusion about age restriction in 55+ communities is common, but per federal law, it goes like this: at least 80% of the units must be occupied by someone 55 or older. That's it. The Villages, and any other 55 and older development, can do whatever they want with the remaining 20%. They can make it all 55+ or all under 55 or any combination they choose.

As someone under 55 who lives with a parent in TV and reads the news daily, I feel like a disproportionate number of residents who get in serious trouble here are under 55 and living in a parent or other relative's home. That being said, considering the size of TV, there's very little crime of any sort. I think TV is an incredibly safe, quite, and friendly place, relative to the rest of the country, and I bet you won't regret buying here!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsonowen View Post
Actually, there's no requirement that any percentage of TV's residents be under 55. There is a minimum percentage required for 55 and over, though. Confusion about age restriction in 55+ communities is common, but per federal law, it goes like this: at least 80% of the units must be occupied by someone 55 or older. That's it. The Villages, and any other 55 and older development, can do whatever they want with the remaining 20%. They can make it all 55+ or all under 55 or any combination they choose.

As someone under 55 who lives with a parent in TV and reads the news daily, I feel like a disproportionate number of residents who get in serious trouble here are under 55 and living in a parent or other relative's home. That being said, considering the size of TV, there's very little crime of any sort. I think TV is an incredibly safe, quite, and friendly place, relative to the rest of the country, and I bet you won't regret buying here!
Very true, technically the majority of residents can be 19 years old. The Villages is as close to perfect as it gets, especially dollar for dollar.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Very true, technically the majority of residents can be 19 years old. The Villages is as close to perfect as it gets, especially dollar for dollar.
Anyone under the age of 19 is restricted to visiting no more than 30 days in a calendar year in The Villages.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Anyone under the age of 19 is restricted to visiting no more than 30 days in a calendar year in The Villages.
So therefore most of the village residents can be 19?
Closed Thread

Tags
trouble, living, people, thought, true

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.