AC temp while on vacation

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Worked 40 years in HVAC service up north. So I have a question regarding all these temperature/dehumidifier post.
Question for full timers and snowbirds. Whatever you set your interior controls at for comfort and or to protect your house from mold during six months of Florida high temps and humidity, why isn’t every garage then loaded with mold?
You need four elements to grow mold. In your garage there isn't food. There is mold spores, humidity, temperature.

In your home you have the food, soap film, natural fibers, paper. If you did not eliminate the humidity you would have mold growing.

Likewise, if you had unsealed drywall on your garage, you would have food (paper). Your garage is painted. Sunlight also kills mold, you do open your garage door frequently.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think that a room de-humidifier will have much effect at all on the humidity in the entire house.
In a relatively small two bedroom house it would certainly at least help. Of course, it is not ideal, but it is certainly better than not having one.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A dehumidifier is a good idea as it is cheaper to run than the a/c (in terms of both electricity and wear & tear) and it should keep the humidity low, which is what is wanted.

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 05-07-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Isn't a byproduct of a room dehumidifier dry heat? Wouldn't that be counter productive when AC is running?
Steve
Old 05-07-2019, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Worked 40 years in HVAC service up north. So I have a question regarding all these temperature/dehumidifier post.
Question for full timers and snowbirds. Whatever you set your interior controls at for comfort and or to protect your house from mold during six months of Florida high temps and humidity, why isn’t every garage then loaded with mold?
For some reason, people move down here then freak out about mold. Venture to say there are hundreds (if not thousands) of homes here that sit vacant for long periods of time, without having any mold issues.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The answer we were told years ago is to put your air conditioner on 83 degrees.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
You need four elements to grow mold. In your garage there isn't food. There is mold spores, humidity, temperature.

In your home you have the food, soap film, natural fibers, paper. If you did not eliminate the humidity you would have mold growing.

Likewise, if you had unsealed drywall on your garage, you would have food (paper). Your garage is painted. Sunlight also kills mold, you do open your garage door frequently.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Isn't a byproduct of a room dehumidifier dry heat? Wouldn't that be counter productive when AC is running?
Steve
Yes, a dehumidifier works by cooling the air to remove moisture, and then reheating it back to the original temperature.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Yes - you wouldn't run both; just the dehumidifier

As long as you don't set the humidity level too low (others here have recommended 50%) then having a hot, dry house shouldn't cause any problems.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Gold member

78 if you have wood or laminate floors
Old 05-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I've never left fans on when on Vaca........(the OP question)......do you leave them on for weeks at a time when away??
Answer: Yes. My fans are on low constantly all year round whether home or away. Something we learned to do when living in Hawai'i.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Gold member

With all due respect to the other posters, the biggest cause of mold is MOISTURE! That's why it's key to keep humidity below 60% here in Florida. Our garages don't get mold because they are concrete block with no drywall. Inside we have drywall which is a food source for mold when combined with high humidity levels. You can certainly keep your home humidity below 50% if you are willing to keep your home at 70 to 72 degrees F all summer long. Personally, I don't like wearing sweaters inside in the summer. All I can say after 21 years of living in Hawai'i and Florida is that I've never had a mold problem, a ceiling fan burn up, or high electric bills by keeping my fans on low and temp set at 81 when away. FYI, when home, we set at 77. In both cases my humidity level never goes above 55-57. My best advice? Get a wi-fi thermostat so you can monitor what's happening when you are away. Adjust accordingly based on YOUR experience.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I’d like to hear this answer to this one too!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
With all due respect to the other posters, the biggest cause of mold is MOISTURE! That's why it's key to keep humidity below 60% here in Florida. Our garages don't get mold because they are concrete block with no drywall. Inside we have drywall which is a food source for mold when combined with high humidity levels. You can certainly keep your home humidity below 50% if you are willing to keep your home at 70 to 72 degrees F all summer long. Personally, I don't like wearing sweaters inside in the summer. All I can say after 21 years of living in Hawai'i and Florida is that I've never had a mold problem, a ceiling fan burn up, or high electric bills by keeping my fans on low and temp set at 81 when away. FYI, when home, we set at 77. In both cases my humidity level never goes above 55-57. My best advice? Get a wi-fi thermostat so you can monitor what's happening when you are away. Adjust accordingly based on YOUR experience.
My garage, and many other garages do have drywall. I have never had any problem with mold or mildew in the garage.
Closed Thread

Tags
vacation, temp, thermostat, summer, months

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.