AC temp while on vacation

AC temp while on vacation

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-08-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I've never left fans on when on Vaca........(the OP question)......do you leave them on for weeks at a time when away??
Answer: Yes. My fans are on low constantly all year round whether home or away. Something we learned to do when living in Hawai'i.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Worked 40 years in HVAC service up north. So I have a question regarding all these temperature/dehumidifier post.
Question for full timers and snowbirds. Whatever you set your interior controls at for comfort and or to protect your house from mold during six months of Florida high temps and humidity, why isn’t every garage then loaded with mold?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM

With all due respect to the other posters, the biggest cause of mold is MOISTURE! That's why it's key to keep humidity below 60% here in Florida. Our garages don't get mold because they are concrete block with no drywall. Inside we have drywall which is a food source for mold when combined with high humidity levels. You can certainly keep your home humidity below 50% if you are willing to keep your home at 70 to 72 degrees F all summer long. Personally, I don't like wearing sweaters inside in the summer. All I can say after 21 years of living in Hawai'i and Florida is that I've never had a mold problem, a ceiling fan burn up, or high electric bills by keeping my fans on low and temp set at 81 when away. FYI, when home, we set at 77. In both cases my humidity level never goes above 55-57. My best advice? Get a wi-fi thermostat so you can monitor what's happening when you are away. Adjust accordingly based on YOUR experience.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Worked 40 years in HVAC service up north. So I have a question regarding all these temperature/dehumidifier post.
Question for full timers and snowbirds. Whatever you set your interior controls at for comfort and or to protect your house from mold during six months of Florida high temps and humidity, why isn’t every garage then loaded with mold?

I’d like to hear this answer to this one too!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
With all due respect to the other posters, the biggest cause of mold is MOISTURE! That's why it's key to keep humidity below 60% here in Florida. Our garages don't get mold because they are concrete block with no drywall. Inside we have drywall which is a food source for mold when combined with high humidity levels. You can certainly keep your home humidity below 50% if you are willing to keep your home at 70 to 72 degrees F all summer long. Personally, I don't like wearing sweaters inside in the summer. All I can say after 21 years of living in Hawai'i and Florida is that I've never had a mold problem, a ceiling fan burn up, or high electric bills by keeping my fans on low and temp set at 81 when away. FYI, when home, we set at 77. In both cases my humidity level never goes above 55-57. My best advice? Get a wi-fi thermostat so you can monitor what's happening when you are away. Adjust accordingly based on YOUR experience.
My garage, and many other garages do have drywall. I have never had any problem with mold or mildew in the garage.

Tags
vacation, temp, thermostat, summer, months