Access to home mailbox

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Default Access to home mailbox

Is it a common practice for home owners in TV to ask tenants to rent their own mailbox? I was recently informed that I would not have a key to my three month rental.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirlib View Post
Is it a common practice for home owners in TV to ask tenants to rent their own mailbox? I was recently informed that I would not have a key to my three month rental.

I never gave my tenants access to a mailbox. Told them where they could rent one but that only happened once. They were the only ones to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2017, 03:53 PM

Prior to buying our home we rented for 4 months. We were told the same thing and opted to rent a box in Lady Lake. Went a couple times a week when we were up that way. Not a big deal.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:54 PM

When we rented our house out through Home Town Property Management Tenants did not have the use of the mailbox
Old 10-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have always given my tenants access to the mailbox for that home. Now they are rental homes only and not just a private residence rented for prime months. Never had any issue with tenants getting mail deliver through the assigned home mailbox.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Veteran member

I used to say no, but now I let them use it. Leave the key out on the hook if they want to. The deal is I will not forward mail if it comes after they move out (the next tenant might). I have not had an issue. To be honest, not sure why it is a big deal.
Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 10-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Could it be that the homeowner is having their mail forwarded from their mailbox to another address where they are in residence while the particular home is being rented?

Old 10-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

When I bought the home that did not have the correct mailbox keys they told me it was $500 to replace the keys through the USPS. Is there a deposit for the mailbox key?

I would also be worried about the liability of someone running a business out of a home I own.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Platinum member

I always gave renters a key to the mail box. If the key was not returned they lost their deposit. It was stated in bold in the rental agreement. Never had a problem in the 3 years we rented our home. Same with garage door openers...
Old 10-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirlib View Post
As the renter I would feel better about using The UPS Store. Once the rental of the box at the store is over if there is any mail still delivered to the box you just surrendered they will call you and you can instruct them to forward it to you or destroy it. You stand a better chance of not having your identity stolen. You never know if the next renter is an unsavory charecter or not and you wouldn't want to give them your account statements. For a few dollars why take a chance. The service they provide is excellent.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

Rented long term for 18 months before building. Always had a key to the box that matched the house. never had an issue..
Old 10-29-2017, 11:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the square View Post
Rented long term for 18 months before building. Always had a key to the box that matched the house. never had an issue..

OP is a seasonal renter. Long term renter should get a mailbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 07:31 AM
Gold member

Unless I knew the renter I would never give them a mailbox key. While there are mostly honest people in the world there are many that are not. Renters do not need your mailbox key...no matter how long they rent for they can always have their mail forwarded to the nearest post office.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Mail forwarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Could it be that the homeowner is having their mail forwarded from their mailbox to another address where they are in residence while the particular home is being rented?
Unfortunately, the system does not work well. At our previous home they would deliver to each home rather than our central delivery. The person making the delivery would,"by accedent," if they were already past a home on the block would deliver it to a house down the block and expect that person to deliver it to the proper home. I did this many times till I got tired of it. I used to write on the envelope mis-delivered to ........ When, I started doing that suddenly the mail people no longer dumped their errors on me.

A SIMPLE SOLUTION-as we did. Leave several prepaid (stamped) self addressed envelopes for the people at your previous address so the people can easily at no cost forward any mail that the post office does not properly handle.

AMUSING-I've received a SECOND NOTICE for jury duty at my previous out of state address. I sent them the envelope showing that it was forwarded and that they should update their records as I am not longer a state resident. Will they go away? Any bets????
Closed Thread

Tags
mailbox, home, recently, informed, rental

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.