Accident

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Sage
Default Accident

Appears there is an accident on St. Charles west bound just before Bailey Tr, was turned around by EMS/FD--most likely a golf cart/ merged with a car
Old 01-29-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Appears there is an accident on St. Charles west bound just before Bailey Tr, was turned around by EMS/FD--most likely a golf cart/ merged with a car
Well, the sign does say "Merge"

But seriously, hope everyone is OK
Old 01-29-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage

But a lot people in TV don't understand who has the right of way in a merging situation, the merging vehicle has to yield to the non merging vehicle and the automatic left hand signal doesn't stop the car going straight
Old 01-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
But a lot people in TV don't understand who has the right of way in a merging situation, the merging vehicle has to yield to the non merging vehicle and the automatic left hand signal doesn't stop the car going straight
True, the cart has to allow enough room to safely merge ahead of a car, and a lot of cart drivers aren't all that good at estimating speeds. Some just throw and arm out as they cut in front of a car, others are turning left from the cart lane without warning. If a car is going 30 and the cart 20, it is closing at 14.67 feet/second, so allow enough room
On the other hand, when driving a car and approaching a merge, it is NOT OK to speed up to 40,45 or even faster to race the cart to the merge point. Cars are required to slow down to 20 in the merge zone, so they should NEVER catch up to a cart going 20.
Amazing that the same drivers do different things when they are driving their cart vs. their car
Old 01-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
The bigger Vehicle
Old 01-29-2020, 12:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
True, the cart has to allow enough room to safely merge ahead of a car, and a lot of cart drivers aren't all that good at estimating speeds. Some just throw and arm out as they cut in front of a car, others are turning left from the cart lane without warning. If a car is going 30 and the cart 20, it is closing at 14.67 feet/second, so allow enough room
On the other hand, when driving a car and approaching a merge, it is NOT OK to speed up to 40,45 or even faster to race the cart to the merge point. Cars are required to slow down to 20 in the merge zone, so they should NEVER catch up to a cart going 20.
Amazing that the same drivers do different things when they are driving their cart vs. their car

Some car drivers do see the merge ahead and try to race ahead of the golf cart as if it makes a big difference who got there first. See it all the time.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:20 PM
Sage

Two days in a row this week had a golf cart pull a hard left directly in front of our car. They didn't signal until they were in the turn. The 1st one was driving on Stillwater at the Morse Gate. Good thing I had slowed down because she'd have been a hood ornament. When I tooted the horn, she told me what her I.Q. was (classy---not!)!! The 2nd person did this NOT in a merging lane and again would have been a hood ornament. Where do these people get their driving skills??? I'm so sorry to hear about that accident and truly hope no one was killed!!
Old 01-29-2020, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn’t want to be the car that hit golf cart in the rear? When two lane ends I would think it’s who ahead that has The right away. I can’t remember the speed limit on st. Charles 30? Or 25? Either way very few travel under 30 on the at loop. I rarely travel down there anymore. I am very cautious when passing golf carts that are in diamond lanes. The drivers weave ALL over, yakking, and not pay attention. I wait till it clear and give plenty of room when passing. I also watch for walkers or biker 🚵*♀️ Ahead Cause you can bet the cart will just swerve out in the traffic lane without looking.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Some car drivers do see the merge ahead and try to race ahead of the golf cart as if it makes a big difference who got there first. See it all the time.
Not me.. I slow down and let the cart go. All you see on TV are lawyers saying "in an accident? call me now".
Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

1 post
9 replies

And we don't even know if there was an accident...... OP stated "Appears there is an accident ......most likely a golf cart/ merged with a car"

Didn't anyone play golf today?
Old 01-30-2020, 06:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Car golf cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I wouldn’t want to be the car that hit golf cart in the rear? When two lane ends I would think it’s who ahead that has The right away. I can’t remember the speed limit on st. Charles 30? Or 25? Either way very few travel under 30 on the at loop. I rarely travel down there anymore. I am very cautious when passing golf carts that are in diamond lanes. The drivers weave ALL over, yakking, and not pay attention. I wait till it clear and give plenty of room when passing. I also watch for walkers or biker 🚵*♀️ Ahead Cause you can bet the cart will just swerve out in the traffic lane without looking.
A police officer told me when merging the golf cart has right of way. I always thought the opposite. Cars are supposed to slow down to let carts in.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
A police officer told me when merging the golf cart has right of way. I always thought the opposite. Cars are supposed to slow down to let carts in.
Ah, what a great eulogy.....and he had the right of way....with others murmuring ....too bad he is as dead as if he did not have the right of way. My rule....if its bigger always yield...if its smaller...always yield!
Old 01-30-2020, 06:40 AM
Sage

The cop is wrong, according to the driver's license hand book, "merging vehicle must yield"
Old 01-30-2020, 06:50 AM

I believe in the International Law of Gross Tonnage.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:53 AM
Sage

You don't take a knife to a gunfight and you don't take a golf cart to any traffic accident, when you tie ,you lose--bigly
Closed Thread

Tags
accident, merged, cart, golf, ems/fd--most

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.