Accident on Morse

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
Today I was travelling in my golf cart on St. Charles and the golf cart in front of me slowed down and shot across the street to get to the ST James pool. I slowed down and the car travelling along side of me had to hit the brakes. That could have turned very ugly
Something like this happened to me last week in Hadley. I came thru the Hadley gate and ahead was a golf cart. The driver seemed to be jerking his cart unsure of whether to stay in the golf cart lane or jump ahead of me.

As I started to speed up to pass him he jumped in front of me taking an abrupt left hand turn a few feet later into the Hadley pool area . He did not use his blinker and there was no one behind me forcing me to hit my brakes and to ride his bumper for a few feet.

Good thing my radio was up and the music was loud because I wasn't able to hear him scream at me judging from his face as he was looking back while turning. His mouth was going and face contorted but I couldn't hear him. I'm thinking you have to be kidding me. You're screaming at me?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Platinum member
Default March POA Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
If you live here long enough you'll see cars driving in the golf cart lane but that's not what's been suggested earler. The suggestion is that when a vehicle plans to make a right turn, that by partially blocking the golf cart lane you insure that the golf cart can't possibly slip past you on the right. You protect yourself and more importantly the golf cart. Isn't' that really what's important?
Lt. Nehemiah Wolfe, Sumter County Sherriff's Office was the guest speaker last evening at the March POA meeting. He covered crime and traffic issues in the Villages. One of his comments validated my earlier post. I believe I'm quoting him accurately. "If a motorist was planning to turn right, neither I, nor one of the deputies would give a motorist a citation if within 50-75 feet before an intersection, after checking to make sure that it was safe to do so, pulled into the golf cart lane either partially or totally to block a golf cart from coming up into your blind spot...There's nothing in FL statutes that says this, but it's just plain common sense to avoid an accident where a golf cart might pass a vehicle on the right." He also said in another comment that by FL statute golf carts traveling in their lane going straight would have priority over a vehicle making a right turn. Again, he said use common sense. Do you want to be safe or dead right?

Lt. Wolfe was both entertaining and instructive in his remarks.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum member

Click on this site http://www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/Engl...erHandbook.pdf and scroll to page 45.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Click on this site http://www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/Engl...erHandbook.pdf and scroll to page 45.
Thanks Downeaster, but the only reference on p. 45 that I see relevant is

Solid White Line

A solid white line marks the right edge of the roadway or
separates lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. You
may travel in the same direction on both sides of this line,
but you should not cross the line unless you must do so to
avoid a hazard.

Is this the point you're making?

Last edited by gryoung; 03-20-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Excellent information! Thanks!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.