Accordion doors

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2022, 10:13 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts
Default Accordion doors

Has anyone replaced their sliders with accordion style doors?
If so, are you happy with it? Pros, cons? Price?
Old 01-25-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
I'm looking into them as well - for my main room to the florida room, and from the florida room to the outside.
http://https://www.alibaba.com/produ...25a62e38YchksN
Old 01-26-2022, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
You do not state if your lanai in completely enclosed, sliders have a hurricane rating accordion doors will not. I have never seen these type of doors seal well at the top or bottom, so I would guess you may get anoles and warm or cold air getting into the house, even if your lanai is enclosed. IMHO, I would call the building department on this.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You do not state if your lanai in completely enclosed, sliders have a hurricane rating accordion doors will not. I have never seen these type of doors seal well at the top or bottom, so I would guess you may get anoles and warm or cold air getting into the house, even if your lanai is enclosed. IMHO, I would call the building department on this.
Thanks for the input. My lanai is not enclosed.

I found this on a quick google search.
On July 21, 2011, Lanai Doors™ received Notice of Acceptance (NOA) from from Miami-Dade County for both outswing and inswing aluminum folding door and window systems. Lanai Doors™ was the first company to test and obtain Miami-Dade County hurricane approvals using the Centor E3 folding hardware. After updating for code changes, Lanai Doors™ current NOA numbers are 16-0303.03 and 16-0303.02, which expire on July 21, 2021. Additionally, these products received Certificate of Product Approval from the State of Florida (FL14768.1 R3 & FL14768.2 R3) and Product Evaluation numbers from the Texas Department of Insurance (DR-568 & DR-569). TDI, along with many other state codes, requires compliance with the International Residential Code (IRC) and International Building Code (IBC). Lanai Doors™ completed tests as detailed in ASTM E 1886 & ASTM E 1996.

Highly Rated
Highly Rated
Lanai Doors™ hurricane aluminum bi-fold system is DP-70 rated (165 mph winds) for Miami-Dade County HVHZ large and small missiles. Lanai's hurricane system also satisfies other wind-borne debris region building codes from the East Coast to the Gulf of Mexico to all of the Caribbean and Hawaiian Islands.
Lanai's standard raised threshold obtained higher individual structural and cycling results. Structurally, the standard threshold achieved a DP-80 negative (177 mph winds) and DP-100 positive (198 mph winds) and successfully cycled at DP-90 (188 mph winds) for both outswing and inswing configurations.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Great info, I had not seen this info, good luck with your project.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:53 AM

Back in Oregon, we replaced sliders with accordion doors from LaCantina. No affiliation with them other than being a very happy customer. For screens, we had one large screen that rolled to one end. In the summer we opened the doors, and extended the screen across the 15ft opening.

High Quality Sliding, Folding, & Swing Doors | LaCantina Doors
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 01-27-2022, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
Back in Oregon, we replaced sliders with accordion doors from LaCantina. No affiliation with them other than being a very happy customer. For screens, we had one large screen that rolled to one end. In the summer we opened the doors, and extended the screen across the 15ft opening.

High Quality Sliding, Folding, & Swing Doors | LaCantina Doors
Lol, we mentioned LaCantina doors to our sales agent and they were, "What?" Had to explain that accordion or folding doors of that style (wall of windows opening up to make outside the inside and vice versa) were regularly referred to as LaCantina on the west coast, after the high end brand name, as opposed to accordion doors (which sounds like the wall dividers in hotel banquet and meeting rooms).
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 01-27-2022, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Lol, we mentioned LaCantina doors to our sales agent and they were, "What?" Had to explain that accordion or folding doors of that style (wall of windows opening up to make outside the inside and vice versa) were regularly referred to as LaCantina on the west coast, after the high end brand name, as opposed to accordion doors (which sounds like the wall dividers in hotel banquet and meeting rooms).
That's funny. I actually saw them on an episode of Selling Sunset. After researching the price of them, I now know why the house was listing for 43 million.
Closed Thread

Tags
accordion, doors, cons, pros, happy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.