Accosted at the Local Publix

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

This is a delightful movie about the situation for senior men and women, widowed or divorced. The scene when the newly widowed gentleman attends his first bereavement club meeting is hysterical; the casserole brigade and the neighbor lady on her tricycle inviting him to get together every time she sights him are so typical of what happens as well. Boynton Beach Club - Wikipedia

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
I just recently moved into The Villages and I am still slowly moving into my new house in the Village of Marsh Bend.
I have been an avid marathon runner all my life and this last Friday while attempting to complete my daily six mile run, ( still can’t get accustomed to the Florida heat ) I momentarily stepped into the Publix located near Brownwood for a quick bite to eat and to cool down.

Upon entering into the Publix, still perspiring profusely and still wearing my running gear (clothes), I was immediately accosted by two older Villages ladies who were also shopping at the Publix.

One lady approached me and offered to “bend-over” in front of me and help me select an item from the lower shelf. Yet another older female shopper noted that I had a stain on my running shorts and she offered to meet her back at her house in order that she may wash my running shorts.

My question; What’s up with some of the older single / married female residents of The Villages? Is it possible that there are so many female residents here that are just so lonely?
I think they were having some fun at your expense and btw, they never claimed to live in The Villages.. sorry if you were the butt of their jokes. You were shopping near the fringes.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

I think it would be more offensive having to be near someone getting a bite to eat that is perspiring profusely.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
I just recently moved into The Villages and I am still slowly moving into my new house in the Village of Marsh Bend.
I have been an avid marathon runner all my life and this last Friday while attempting to complete my daily six mile run, ( still can’t get accustomed to the Florida heat ) I momentarily stepped into the Publix located near Brownwood for a quick bite to eat and to cool down.

Upon entering into the Publix, still perspiring profusely and still wearing my running gear (clothes), I was immediately accosted by two older Villages ladies who were also shopping at the Publix.

One lady approached me and offered to “bend-over” in front of me and help me select an item from the lower shelf. Yet another older female shopper noted that I had a stain on my running shorts and she offered to meet her back at her house in order that she may wash my running shorts.

My question; What’s up with some of the older single / married female residents of The Villages? Is it possible that there are so many female residents here that are just so lonely?
Did you call the police?
Old 06-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Mr Midnight is now @ half mast, can't rise to the occasion
He may be Mr. Nine p.m. by now; isn't it almost 15 years since "Leisureville" was written?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
Accosted? I don't really see the point of your post.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

I would never enter grocery store sweating profusely. I would of towel off, till I cooled down, then if it was emergency 🚨 entries the store. Maybe the were being polite not wanting sweat dripping on the items?
Old 06-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Accosted !!!! I think you are letting your imagination run away with you

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Sage

I am aware of several reasonably good looking athletic single men in their 50s and 60s who would verify this sort of thing happens to them quite regularly.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

I believe you, Manaboutown. Hubby was dressed in his best “I don’t give a s*** what you think” outfit at Publix. Didn’t stop the cart pushing woman. I don’t know how common this predatory behavior is. Not used to going to red light districts anywhere.

As far as widowers being inundated with casseroles as compared to women subjugated to leering and catcalls.... casseroles vs catcalls now which would I prefer? Such a difficult decision.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I would never enter grocery store sweating profusely. I would of towel off, till I cooled down, then if it was emergency 🚨 entries the store. Maybe the were being polite not wanting sweat dripping on the items?
Agree, that was very inconsiderate of him. If you are going to run and sweat like a pig carry a protein bar with you and eat after you get home and shower. Gross.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Truly sorry for your experience, but I couldn't resist!

Last edited by EdFNJ; 06-08-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
This is a delightful movie about the situation for senior men and women, widowed or divorced. The scene when the newly widowed gentleman attends his first bereavement club meeting is hysterical; the casserole brigade and the neighbor lady on her tricycle inviting him to get together every time she sights him are so typical of what happens as well. Boynton Beach Club - Wikipedia

Good movie. I lived in a development in Boynton Bch. across the street from where it was filmed.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:

"Accost" seems the wrong word here. Maybe "greeted"?
Old 06-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Sage

Definition of accost: "approach and address (someone) boldly or aggressively"

The OP described his accosters as "two older Villages ladies"...so...I interpret his politely written statement as "I was hit on by two cougars".

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-08-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, running, female, older, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.