Additional Expenses of a New TV Home

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
Yeah Wiki says Palm Rats are only on 3 Islands, none of which are even remotely near Florida, or the USA for that matter.

I should have known.....
With my own eyes, I have seen a palm rat run across a street and run right up a palm tree and disappear. Oh, and the palm tree was only a few feet from the house so the rat could get onto their roof, with no problem.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

What is the problem with having a few palm rats running around. Has anyone here been bitten or have had an uncontrolled infestation??? What villages are these things in, before we bought our home we rented form 7 winters and no one ever mentioned having a problem with rats. We've been here in Fenney for 10 months, there were posts on here stating that there will be all kinds of critters running around down here because of the excavation, I have not seen a mouse, rat, raccoon, armadillo, skunk, coyote, panther, wild pig, snake, or anything else. I did see a snake in the parking lot of the Lake Sumter Sales Office but that is miles away from Fenney and an alligator in our pond which I like seeing, and that is it.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Taste has little to do with attic stairs, washer and dryer, blinds, landscaping, and most of those are missing on a new home. Paint color is easy and cheap to change and most folks rip out carpet in new or used and replace with wood or tile. I personally have found resale homes to be a much better value then new homes. Most don't look at bond or those things that still have to be done in a new home that are already done in a resale. But you must if you want to really compare the two.
Well it does, all the things you mentioned have to do with taste and personal preference. Have several friends here who have bought pre-owned and replaced the washer and dryer, tore out the blinds and put there own in. Landscaping is all about personal taste. If you can accept what someone else likes, then go for it. If you want to put your own stamp on what you buy either get new or prepare to change what you bought. Bond impact is over rated unless, money is all that matters.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

The new homes in Fenney are priced much, much lower than comparable re-sales north of 44. We came down last spring to buy a re-sale with no intention to buy new but after looking at the re-sales and then being brought to Fenney to look at new homes, we bought the new home immediately and have absolutely no regrets. Sure, it's farther for shopping but shopping will be here soon and the atmosphere and pricing more than makes up for waiting for commercial development. I'm not against buying a used home as that was our intent and new is not for everyone but the savings down here was too great to pass up. If you do end up in Fenney be sure to join Fenney Friends (see our website) and come to the monthly social gathering at the pavilion to meet all of your great neighbors and of whom are new.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you do end up in Fenney be sure to join Fenney Friends (see our website) and come to the monthly social gathering at the pavilion to meet all of your great neighbors and of whom are new.

Definitely will look Fenney Friends up. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
What is the problem with having a few palm rats running around. Has anyone here been bitten or have had an uncontrolled infestation??? What villages are these things in, before we bought our home we rented form 7 winters and no one ever mentioned having a problem with rats. We've been here in Fenney for 10 months, there were posts on here stating that there will be all kinds of critters running around down here because of the excavation, I have not seen a mouse, rat, raccoon, armadillo, skunk, coyote, panther, wild pig, snake, or anything else. I did see a snake in the parking lot of the Lake Sumter Sales Office but that is miles away from Fenney and an alligator in our pond which I like seeing, and that is it.
Golf cart wires have been eaten. Vehicle wires have been eaten. All at a cost to the owner, not the rat that ate them...Village of Ashland... in her garage...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
You don’t need to do anything. But if you feel the need to, wait at least one year. You’ll be amazed what you thought to be a good idea 6 months ago now feels like...what was I thinking ? Bottom line, keep your wallet closed until your wants become a real need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. However if you want privacy, you will need to purchase drapes or blinds right away. My recommendation is to buy drapes on sale (Pottery Barn has some on sale) and than wait out for a year to see if you would prefer blinds or something more fancy.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post

Oh, and you have to save out a few bucks ($50 and up) for a name sign for the light post out front! Take your time, look around the neighborhood and pick out something you'll like for a long time. Moving here from a northern state will make you want to put up one with palm trees in it or maybe golfers but check out how many like that are already out there! Here's a chance to show your personality and creativity!
Yes, show your personality and creativity by NOT using flamingoes, dolphins, parrots, globes, fish, nets, shells. No need to show others you are in Florida; they know you are.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
The new homes in Fenney are priced much, much lower than comparable re-sales north of 44. We came down last spring to buy a re-sale with no intention to buy new but after looking at the re-sales and then being brought to Fenney to look at new homes, we bought the new home immediately and have absolutely no regrets. Sure, it's farther for shopping but shopping will be here soon and the atmosphere and pricing more than makes up for waiting for commercial development. I'm not against buying a used home as that was our intent and new is not for everyone but the savings down here was too great to pass up. If you do end up in Fenney be sure to join Fenney Friends (see our website) and come to the monthly social gathering at the pavilion to meet all of your great neighbors and of whom are new.
You should have looked further north, like North of 466. I bought a 1700 sq foot Designer with 2.5 car garage for $257,000. No bond. The home had just been remodeled with over $90,000 of very tasteful upgrades. A similar new home in Fenney costs about the same, has a $30k bond, and has few if any upgrades.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
You should have looked further north, like North of 466. I bought a 1700 sq foot Designer with 2.5 car garage for $257,000. No bond. The home had just been remodeled with over $90,000 of very tasteful upgrades. A similar new home in Fenney costs about the same, has a $30k bond, and has few if any upgrades.
Wow. $90,000 in recent upgrades in a house that sells for $257,000???
I think I could look north of 466 for the next year and not find anything close to a deal like that.
Good for you!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
Wow. $90,000 in recent upgrades in a house that sells for $257,000???
I think I could look north of 466 for the next year and not find anything close to a deal like that.
Good for you!
The deals are out there if you are patient. The previous owners initially tried to get $309K for the home, what they had into it, not a lot of bites and then got into a pinch with time and money, and I swooped in with cash offer.

When I buy I look at 100s of homes online, narrow that down to maybe 20-30 homes that I look at in person, and then make decisions. You need to be ready to make cash offers in order to get the best deals.

There is no way that buying new homes in Fenney is a better deal when you factor in zero bonds, lots of upgrades, and tons of amenities that exist now, not in the future.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Just don't get caught up with "keeping up with the Jone's". You can and will see neighbors spending over $10K for landscaping, small walls, decorative rocks, palms, fancy driveways (staining, stamping, pavers), etc. Sit back, relax and enjoy your new house, then make a decision on what you want to upgrade or change, you might be surprised how nice these houses are without all the added expense. I'd focus on enjoying all the amenities that TV has to offer. In my opinion, that's what TV is about.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:28 PM

I pulled out the carpet and tiled the house immediately since the matching tile was still around.
Took down all the blinds and installed shutters. Will sell the new / old blinds $10 each.
Removed the kitchen chandelier and installed a matching eyeball light. Chandelier $20
Enclosed the lanai, added a seperate A/C unit
Added a hot tub
Added lots of cabinets / built in wall units to the master bedroom, laundry room, kitchen.
Adding a pergola.

Spending the family inheritance on ME ! for my last home to be a great home for ME.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flyer View Post
Just don't get caught up with "keeping up with the Jone's". You can and will see neighbors spending over $10K for landscaping, small walls, decorative rocks, palms, fancy driveways (staining, stamping, pavers), etc. Sit back, relax and enjoy your new house, then make a decision on what you want to upgrade or change, you might be surprised how nice these houses are without all the added expense. I'd focus on enjoying all the amenities that TV has to offer. In my opinion, that's what TV is about.

Smart man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Wiotte;1521994]You don’t need to do anything. But if you feel the need to, wait at least one year. You’ll be amazed what you thought to be a good idea 6 months ago now feels like...what was I thinking ? Bottom line, keep your wallet closed until your wants become a real need.

Totally agree. First of all, I would make sure this is a house that you plan on staying in!!! Then I would make improvements that you want. I've seen some people who did improvements right away and then saw something they liked better several months later. Besides, not everyone has the same taste in decorating.

I personally would install a Nova water filtration system.

Initially, I would do what is necessary. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 03-18-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
expenses, house, home, fenney, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.