Address number in front window

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Default Address number in front window

I was taking a walk last night and noticed something on a home I don't think I have noticed before anywhere in TV. Maybe I just haven't paid attention. A homeowner had removed those awful looking numbers from their front window and had a nice sign/plaque made with their number, in even larger characters, and attached it to the face of their home in a very prominent, but tasteful location. Wondering if this was an exercise in creative license or if it's an allowable option. Does anyone know? I have had a long time assumption that it must be a requirement (for 911) to keep the ugly numbers that TV puts in the front window on each home.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

We bought our 2000 home in 2013, and it has never had numbers in the windows. We are speculating that you have a brand new home. If so, maybe the numbers are for the contractors? Why don’t you call your local rep to find out for sure.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
I was taking a walk last night and noticed something on a home I don't think I have noticed before anywhere in TV. Maybe I just haven't paid attention. A homeowner had removed those awful looking numbers from their front window and had a nice sign/plaque made with their number, in even larger characters, and attached it to the face of their home in a very prominent, but tasteful location. Wondering if this was an exercise in creative license or if it's an allowable option. Does anyone know? I have had a long time assumption that it must be a requirement (for 911) to keep the ugly numbers that TV puts in the front window on each home.
A lot of people on my street have removed the window numbers and put up a sign .
Old 06-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Numbers were removed within 6 months...ugly. Replaced with a granite name plate with highly visible numbers. Many in out neighborhood had them removed.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is a thread on the subject from some time ago. Never thought they might be important.

But do now.

You never know when the paramedics need every possible way to find you quickly.

House Numbers on Windows
Old 06-20-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here is a thread on the subject from some time ago. Never thought they might be important.

But do now.

You never know when the paramedics need every possible way to find you quickly.

House Numbers on Windows
GPS
Old 06-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
GPS

GPS isn't always spot-on accurate enough to get you exactly to the specific house or place you are looking for. In front of my house 2 new iPhones an iPad, my car GPS. a Tom Tom standalone GPS and an old Android phone SOMETIMES (maybe 10% of the time) show me standing at the house BEHIND our house. Would you want the ambulance pulling up there?

73's
Old 06-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

The OP didn’t suggest removing any and all numbers, rather, are you allowed to remove the stick on numbers the builder puts on homes. The answer is yes, it is ok to remove them and replace them with something of your own liking.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
GPS isn't always spot-on accurate enough to get you exactly to the specific house or place you are looking for. In front of my house 2 new iPhones an iPad, my car GPS. a Tom Tom standalone GPS and an old Android phone SOMETIMES (maybe 10% of the time) show me standing at the house BEHIND our house. Would you want the ambulance pulling up there?

73's
Post #8 in the link GG provided.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Post #8 in the link GG provided.

I actually find that hard to really believe and it may have lost something "in the translation" from the source. I highly doubt they don't look at house numbers (maybe not to the exclusion of GPS but likely in addition to gps). I'd have to hear that for myself. I find it pretty concerning since all of our GPS's work the same and other than the Fed IA's their accuracy isn't 100% which is why my name and address is on our light post and I have reflective numbers on my home (not window). I'd hate to find the ambulance pulling up next door or on the street behind me. GPS's accuracy can be off by 30-200 feet or more depending on ones location and the number of satellites in view of the GPS device. In some areas there could even be no GPS coverage due to obstacles.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Of course you can remove these house numbers if you like. I would suggest that if you do you replace them with house numbers that can be easily and quickly seen from the curb.

In my former life I was a career firefighter and Medic. Literally drove to thousands of medical calls. We depended on seeing house numbers somewhere on the home or on a mailbox.

You cannot depend on GPS. Even with the latest downloads there are MANY streets in The Villages that do not even show up yet off of Moyer Loop and of course in Fenney and DeSoto. I deal with this daily.

As to house numbers, the Cul-De-Sacs can be tricky as the odd and even numbers meet somewhere at the end of them.

As we get older the chances of needing an Ambulance someday increases....I want to make it as easy as possible for them to find me quickly.

I do not want my epitaph to read....."Here lies old Frank, his death was quite wrong. They could not find his house number, it took way too long"

Frank
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Of course you can remove these house numbers if you like. I would suggest that if you do you replace them with house numbers that can be easily and quickly seen from the curb.

In my former life I was a career firefighter and Medic. Literally drove to thousands of medical calls. We depended on seeing house numbers somewhere on the home or on a mailbox.

You cannot depend on GPS. Even with the latest downloads there are MANY streets in The Villages that do not even show up yet off of Moyer Loop and of course in Fenney and DeSoto. I deal with this daily.

As to house numbers, the Cul-De-Sacs can be tricky as the odd and even numbers meet somewhere at the end of them.

As we get older the chances of needing an Ambulance someday increases....I want to make it as easy as possible for them to find me quickly.

I do not want my epitaph to read....."Here lies old Frank, his death was quite wrong. They could not find his house number, it took way too long"

Frank

Good post. Vanity kills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
home, front, window, numbers, noticed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.