Here in TV 10 ++ years, what have you had to replace or repair?

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Here in TV 10 ++ years, what have you had to replace or repair?

We are at the 11 year point and was wondering what folks who have been here that longer and longer have experienced in wear and tear and just the good old FL sun wearing things out.

So far we have experienced needing to replace the control valves in our sprinkler system.
The pool at 8 year we have replaced two pump motors, a gas heater and a filter system. Started to fail at the 5 and 6 year point.

HAs anybody had to replace their screening on the bird cage? Ours still seems to be good, but I worry the sun makes stuff so brittle a wind storm could show a problem one day.

How about your experience?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

We've been here the same amount of time. All appliances are good but the water heater makes noises when it's used from stuff floating around probably. I selected the middle of the road appliances when the house was built. AC good, get it checked every other year. Some lighting changed for purely cosmetic reasons. Have tile so no problem with carpets. We're still in pretty good shape. My not so nice fiberglass shower stall would be next.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Homes in our neighborhood are 9-10 yrs old. Neighbor just had interesting experience where all smoke detectors went off at the same time. He changed out all of the batteries and it happened again, so he called the fire department. Turns out that smoke detectors degrade over time and only have an expected 10 year life. CO2 detectors only have a 5 yr life expectancy. All of his detectors have now been replaced and I am looking to do the same.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Funny, when I read your post I thought you were referring to body parts.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Interesting my response to the remark that the developer built great houses was that history would determine that. Generally homes fare well the first 10 years but then..........

We will be here 9 years in August. I completely replaced my smoke alarms twice and my CO 2 detector three times.

We replaced our HVAC about 6 months ago. GE Profile appliances came with the house but were terrible. I do expect to replace my water heater shortly and have replaced one water shut off valve because it was leaking. We plan on replacing all of them because the push/pull as a preventive measure because we are concerned about future leaks especially coming from underneath the vanities.

The house came with a popcorn ceiling which surprised us since we last saw one in the 1970's . So we hired a contractor to scrap it off and reapply a knockdown. Again we laughed because a knockdown ceiling in Des Moines was called an executive ceiling and we had executive ceilings throughout our house and three car garage in DesMoines in 1986.

We had our house repainted with a lifetime rubberized paint (nothing is lifetime) November 2014. i have had to replace two motors for my spa investing in a $1100 unit.

We had to replace a bathroom fan

We added a large built in pantry in our laundry room because the house (a Lantana) did not contain sufficient storage in the kitchen
Old 04-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Interesting my response to the remark that the developer built great houses was that history would determine that. Generally homes fare well the first 10 years but then..........

We will be here 9 years in August. I completely replaced my smoke alarms twice and my CO 2 detector three times.

We replaced our HVAC about 6 months ago. GE Profile appliances came with the house but were terrible. I do expect to replace my water heater shortly and have replaced one water shut off valve because it was leaking. We plan on replacing all of them because the push/pull as a preventive measure because we are concerned about future leaks especially coming from underneath the vanities.

The house came with a popcorn ceiling which surprised us since we last saw one in the 1970's . So we hired a contractor to scrap it off and reapply a knockdown. Again we laughed because a knockdown ceiling in Des Moines was called an executive ceiling and we had executive ceilings throughout our house and three car garage in DesMoines in 1986.

We had our house repainted with a lifetime rubberized paint (nothing is lifetime) November 2014. i have had to replace two motors for my spa investing in a $1100 unit.

We had to replace a bathroom fan

We added a large built in pantry in our laundry room because the house (a Lantana) did not contain sufficient storage in the kitchen
I feel for you! I can't believe all the money you've had to put into your house.
What a shame.
If that had been me, I think I would have sold and then rented!
Old 04-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Dishwasher, washer, dryer, hot water heater and a Nova filtration system. None were necessary, but I prefer better appliances than the ones in my 11 year old home. Oh, a little sprinkler head replacements by Mr. Baumgardner. Once a year I have him inspect the sprinkler system. Money well saved!
Old 04-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
Funny, when I read your post I thought you were referring to body parts.
Yep.
My eyes, knees, etc all came to mind.
At this point, my house has a better warranty then my body.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 04-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Sage

Owned for 9 years Have replaced a couple of smoke detectors, replaced the fridge...only because I wanted a larger one. Have had the screening on the cage replaced but only because of damage done when a car struck cage and damaged it. Had to replace the garbage disposal, have installed a Nova filtration system (water softner system went belly up).
Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Appliances seem to be the biggest culprit, especially the ice maker. Another common issue is the gasket in the toilets, especially the newer toilets. These seem to last about three years before they start leaking. And, of course, the smoke detectors.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Sage

Our house is 8 years old and we haven't had to replace anything yet. Had the furnace worked on one time and the dishwasher but that was 2 years ago. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Mine was built in 2004 -- things that have broken include the toilet innards in both bathrooms, two smoke detectors, ice maker, kitchen faucet sprayer, several sprinkler heads, garage door opener, one window that wouldn't stay open, and the A/C crapped out a few months ago. Also had a minor roof leak.

Things that were showing a lot of wear and replaced: carpeting, laminate countertops, interior paint, all kitchen appliances and washer/dryer.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Gold member

Our home is 12 years old. We've lived here 6 years.

NEEDED - Things that actually broke or wore out:

Spa remotes, pump and bypass kit ($700)
Toilet seats and tank innards ($50)
Replaced a few shingles that blew off the roof peak ($150)
Faucet Repair Kits ($28)

WANTED - Things that we replaced, added, or improved, just because we wanted to:

All rooms painted from basic white to living colors (ceilings too)
Exterior Painted
Laminate (wood style) flooring
Carpet for the Bedrooms
Crown molding everywhere (except closets)
Eaves troths on all sides of house
Granite Counter-tops in the kitchen with sink and faucet
All kitchen appliances
Nova Filtration System
Hot Water Recirculation pump
Garage cabinets, flooring and pegboard

May still want to do:
New cabinets for the Laundry Room
Replace Washer/Dryer
Quartz Counter-tops (sinks and faucets) in both bathrooms
Remodel shower in master bath (floor to ceiling quartz)
Perhaps, replace guest tub with shower
Replace master bedroom carpet with laminate flooring and area rugs
Plantation Shutters (maybe)
Xavier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.