Founder
Default Re: This administrator would like your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by togabill
No !!!!!!!!!!

Don't sugar coat your feelings. Get to the point. ;D
Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM

If you keep it in the political forum we would at least have the choice of reading their views or not.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank2

I prefer to keep this medium free from all polotics. We certainly get enough of it everywhere else.

Thanks for requesting the members' input.
One thing I want to keep in mind is that our vote for these candidates is very important. We should be well informed when we select our elected officials. They have a limited time to communicate with the voters and if they are barred from public forums, it has a chilling effect on the political process. At the same time, there is sadly an odor associated with politics. It is the same odor you get around high pressure salespeople and telemarketers. Yet, these are the people we choose to represent us in decisions that govern our lives and our future.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Platinum member

If you install anything even remotely connected with politics, please, please make it utterly, completely, totally separate from this General Discussion.
We will all have to put up with enough garbage from the idiot politicians and their followers over the next year-plus from other sources, that I think we need a few places to get away from "them."
Old 08-17-2007, 03:13 PM

Thank you for asking for our input. Two points:

1. Jan, if you can limit the extent of the ads in some way and still make a few dollars from politicians to help support this terrific website that you manage, then I am 100% for it.

2. It seems to me that political ads run on TOTV might benefit our membership since ads that are run on TOTV would likely emphasize platform "promises" which would be favorable to 55 + voters. We might then be better able to assess which candidates seem more interested in 55+ causes.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueblue
Thank you for asking for our input. Two points:

1. Jan, if you can limit the extent of the ads in some way and still make a few dollars from politicians to help support this terrific website that you manage, then I am 100% for it.

2. It seems to me that political ads run on TOTV might benefit our membership since ads that are run on TOTV would likely emphasize platform "promises" which would be favorable to 55 + voters. We might then be better able to assess which candidates seem more interested in 55+ causes.
Assuming, of course, that what they tell us is really what they intend to carry out... which is not QUITE always the case.

I would also like to put my comments in re: "unbiased opinions" - I believe that everyone's own opinion is ALWAYS completely unbiased, and ALWAYS based only upon fact - and never with any emotion involved (just check the string on "Hillary for president..."). Maybe that is why we are admonished to never get into a discussion with friends over politics or religion.
Victoria &amp; Vancouver, B.C.<br />China Lake, Ca<br />Pasadena, Ca<br />Several cities in Orange Co., Ca<br />Bakersfield, Ca<br />Indiana, PA<br />West Palm Beach, FL<br />TV&nbsp; (Mallory Square)!
Old 08-17-2007, 04:06 PM

Hi,
I agree with those who said if the revenue would help TOTV, great. I wouldn't care if the ads were kept in the Politics section, but further discussion on political subjects should be, IMHO. We might learn something.
Thanks for seeking opinions.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
I think an unbiased presentation of all candidates is the way to go. I recommend TOTV to take a neutral postion. Once you "officially endorse" a candidate, you obviously run the risk of alienating those who hold a different view. This can be especially damaging when soliciting other potential advertisers and not to mention that your existing sponsors may not like the TOTV endorsement as well. But, of course you already know this and that it's a tough business decision.

Personally, as a business owner, I would not want to jeopardize losing a single customer's business by advocating a particular political position and being careless enough to attach my business's name to my personal views. My Franchisor doesn't not allow this anyway...and for a good reason.

I like to assess the views of the candidates myself, all candidates, and form my own conclusion. I'm an intelligent guy and I don't need others to wade through the B.S for me.
What JZ said...I'll assess the candidates myself. Also, I wouldn't want pop-up ads (ever) on this site. Keep political discussions in political sections.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Can anyone name the past 4 ads that have appeared on the board so far? I can only name one and I'm not sure if it really the acai berry stuff. I can ignore political ads just as easily as I can ignore other ads.

Now for political discussions....put them in a separate forum where if anyone goes they understand that their political love may get bashed and their personal feelings hurt. I do have my politically preconceived notions but sometimes someone can take a brick out of my distorted reality and let a different light in. Heck I can always ignore what is said in the forum too. It has the potential for fun.......

Poor Jan we are going to have to pay you since this will be a full time job for you by the time all the ideas are instituted.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 PM

I'm not a resident of TV (yet), but I have become a major follower of this forum. I agree that political ads don't bother me - I can view or ignore, no problem. If the revenue helps keep this site going, great. I would prefer to keep political discussions out of the general forum. My wife and I are politically active, and have strong political opinions. We don't mind a spirited discussion in the proper arena, but we also like to get away from it also. As divided as this country has become, I don't want to lose an online "friend" because I made him mad about something I said or he made me mad ditto. Unfortunately, anymore when a political discussion gets started it can get out of control pretty quickly.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

I think it's ok too, and agree it should be in the political thread. It can be fun for those who like to voice opinions.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

Was involved in politics back in NY when I ran for state assembly. I feel like a novice here since we have lived here only two years. I would welcome a separate forum for political issues, ads, etc. This way, folks who don't give a hoot won't be bothered by having to go through the forum.

I don't believe you will have any equal access issues if it is a "paid" forum. Each of us should be bright enough to cut through the crap and find out what the candidate is REALLY saying with the plus of having comments from folks who have lived in Florida for a while and who might know more about what the candidate has done or not done for our category of voters.
:bigthumbsup:
Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Gold member

Might be helpful to let them post their positions on issues in the Political Rorum as long as they are willing to deal with questions and responses from the rest of us.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 AM

If they will do Q & A it should be interesting. :bigthumbsup: I would like to ask Gary Breeden what he has against the Sumter Humane Society/SPCA. Is he a friend of Michael Vick? Heard some bad things about his concern for neglected animals in the county. Sumter is the only county in Florida without an animal shelter! >

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.