Adult Children living in The Villages. Why?

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Default Adult Children living in The Villages. Why?

This is something that I have an opinion about and I don't know what others think.

This forum is very caring, loving, and sometimes don't see the problem with common sense things. Don't attack me as it is true. Been seeing some crime lately that points to adult children living in The Villages.

So...

Why are there adult children living with retired people in The Villages?

Now my thoughts and I am sure people will see both sides.

First, if the adult child is mentally ill to the point they cannot live on there own. Not all mentally ill people have to live at home. And, and, and, WHY would you MOVE to The Villages, the adult Disneyland, if you have to be a caretaker for the child? Not like there is good medical care in the area.

Second, the adult child who is going through some bad luck. Still, no. Get them motivated. There are no jobs here and they will keep living off your generosity and care for them. However, if you care for them, get them an apartment in Gainesville where there are more jobs so they can get back to the norm. They will only milk you for all your money and guilt you if you resist.

Third, the adult child who is the caretaker for an old villager. Well, if you are homebound, why would you want to live in the villages. If you are homebound then most likely money is tight, and this isn't the place. Also, bad healthcare here. And, what work will the adult child do while being a caretaker. Well, if they have a job then the villager doesn't need a caretaker.

Fourth. I don't know a fourth. I don't see a problem with a 30 year old BUYING a home here. That would mean they have a vested interest in The Villagers, however all the others are either using the villager, guilting the villager or there is a better place to live. It isn't here.

So, to conclude.
No jobs.
Bad healthcare.
Crime goes up.
Mostly other people are over 60 years old.

No good can come from an adult child living in The Villages.

Okay, let the hate begin. I wonder if there is anyone on my side?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

The rule is 19 and over can live here full time.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 PM

I thought the rule was 55 and over. I am a single female hoping to retire to the Villages. I want an over 55 community where I feel safe. I am so tired of 20 somethings sitting on their cars outside my home with their music cranked to oblivion because it is daytime and nothing can be done. I am tired of the petty theft of bikes, and tipped over trash cans, and smashed in mailboxes from mailbox baseball. I want away from "strafing" where kids on bikes race at you as fast as possible and then lock their brakes spraying gravel. There is nothing you can do but hide inside, as they don't "hurt" you. Police do nothing. I am tired of my sweet peas trellis' being torn down because the kids jump them, and of trying to go shopping when some millennial shoves past me and mutters "old biach" or something worse. I have a recumbent bike I am getting rid of because when I rode it, the millennials wanted to try it. I said no because it was to exercise my leg and I had no insurance. The next day I came home from work and all 3 tires were slashed.

You may love your kids/grandkids but they don't act the same when they are outside your watchful eye. I want to live some place I feel safe, with people who understand when I speak and who don't use the F word as an adjective, subject, verb, adverb and predicate all in the same sentence.

I'm sorry I don't want to be around your kids, but why would you move to an over 55 community and hurt other people by bringing them? Just move to a normal neighborhood where your kids fit in.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
The rule is 19 and over can live here full time.
Correct. The problem is not that they are allowed to live here. The problem is that many don't know it until they have purchased and moved in. Then the feeling of betrayal sets in: "Why didn't somebody tell me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
... I wonder if there is anyone on my side?
Why take sides about something that is allowed by law.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default We knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Correct. The problem is not that they are allowed to live here. The problem is that many don't know it until they have purchased and moved in. Then the feeling of betrayal sets in: "Why didn't somebody tell me."

Why take sides about something that is allowed by law.
When we bought we knew that people 19 and up could live here. I know people of many different ages and I do not have a problem with any of them living here. People need to research before paying hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetakai View Post
I thought the rule was 55 and over. I am a single female hoping to retire to the Villages. I want an over 55 community where I feel safe. I am so tired of 20 somethings sitting on their cars outside my home with their music cranked to oblivion because it is daytime and nothing can be done. I am tired of the petty theft of bikes, and tipped over trash cans, and smashed in mailboxes from mailbox baseball. I want away from "strafing" where kids on bikes race at you as fast as possible and then lock their brakes spraying gravel. There is nothing you can do but hide inside, as they don't "hurt" you. Police do nothing. I am tired of my sweet peas trellis' being torn down because the kids jump them, and of trying to go shopping when some millennial shoves past me and mutters "old biach" or something worse. I have a recumbent bike I am getting rid of because when I rode it, the millennials wanted to try it. I said no because it was to exercise my leg and I had no insurance. The next day I came home from work and all 3 tires were slashed.

You may love your kids/grandkids but they don't act the same when they are outside your watchful eye. I want to live some place I feel safe, with people who understand when I speak and who don't use the F word as an adjective, subject, verb, adverb and predicate all in the same sentence.

I'm sorry I don't want to be around your kids, but why would you move to an over 55 community and hurt other people by bringing them? Just move to a normal neighborhood where your kids fit in.
Everyone sees 55+ and assumes that means 55+ ONLY. That is not the case here in The Villages. There are a lot of under 55 living here. Not just living with a parent, but a many under 55 year olds own and live here. It is not a "retirement" community. It is a deed restricted community that allows permanent residence to anyone over 18 and up to 20% of the homes can be owned by under 55 YO people.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetakai View Post

Yes, 55+ Age-Restricted Communities Are Legal | 55places.com Blog
Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 PM

let me bring this thread BACK. You all are sidetracking.

I know the rule is 19 and over. But going over 35 MPH is a rule on Morse Avenue but how many of you follow that.

And I don't mind if a 19 year old buys here as long as his children aren't here.

My problem is I don't WANT to deal with other people's problems or situations.

Plus, my question is WHY, not that its okay to do.

Okay, go back to talking about something else.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Everyone sees 55+ and assumes that means 55+ ONLY. That is not the case here in The Villages. There are a lot of under 55 living here. Not just living with a parent, but a many under 55 year olds own and live here. It is not a "retirement" community. It is a deed restricted community that allows permanent residence to anyone over 18 and up to 20% of the homes can be owned by under 55 YO people.
The Fair Housing Act provides exemptions that allow a community to de facto discriminate based on age without de jure discrimination. The exemptions are administered by HUD

In order to qualify for the "55 or older" housing exemption, a facility or community must satisfy each of the following requirements:

At least 80 percent of the units must have at least one occupant who is 55 years of age or older; and

The facility or community must publish and adhere to policies and procedures that demonstrate the intent to operate as "55 or older" housing; and

The facility or community must comply with HUD's regulatory requirements for age verification of residents.

If the community fails to document/verify, they lose the exemption and after that, families with multiple rugrats can move in by the zillions.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
...Okay, let the hate begin. I wonder if there is anyone on my side?
“Begin”? You must mean continue, right? Since you’ve already started it.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Why are there adult children living with retired people in The Villages?

No good can come from an adult child living in The Villages.
We are all adult children aren't we??

We are adults, we are someone's child.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

If you do not want to deal with other people's problems, then it does not matter where you live. People all come with baggage. You must have to pay extra at the airport for yours. Sounds like you have a lot of personal issues that keep you from being able to engage, have empathy, or accept. Hope you are not my neighbor, I have big dogs and you would not like them either.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Out of 125,000 residents how many are under age 55 - under 40 - 20 something??? I know there are no real statistics only educated guesses. My point is that the number is really very small especially in the age bracket of 20-50 years of age. We have lived in TV for 11 years plus (4 different Villages) and I just don’t see a problem whatsoever. It appears some are trying to make “something out of nothing”. Fore!
Old 09-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran member

The 55 applies to how old you need to buy a home not the age which you must be to live in the home.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

///
Closed Thread

Tags
adult, child, villages, living, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.