Adult Children living in The Villages. Why?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2018, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
My point is that on a per capita basis the under 55 population who are not caregivers or physically or mentally challenged individuals incapable of living on their own statistically contains an inordinate number of criminals of one stripe or another.
I challenge you to the statistics that prove an inordinate number of criminals under 55 without special needs live in The Villages.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I challenge you to the statistics that prove an inordinate number of criminals under 55 without special needs live in The Villages.
Yep.

Facts matter.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 PM

Not all Adult children commit crimes.
Some of these Adult children are serving you food in the 100 plus restaurants or checking you out at the grocery stores.
You were young once. Give them a break.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
...My point is that on a per capita basis the under 55 population who are not caregivers or physically or mentally challenged individuals incapable of living on their own statistically contains an inordinate number of criminals of one stripe or another.
What a bunch of hooey.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
It is well known that crime is age related; thus 55 and over communities enjoy low crime rates simply because older adults commit far fewer crimes than young adults.

Adult children living with their parents rather than out on their own, if they are not caregivers or care recipients, usually have serious issues coping with life, issues such as substance abuse, histories of criminal behavior, consequent incarceration and mental instability. Therefore even relative to their age group as a whole they commit more crimes as recidivism rates are high. Long View of Ex-Prisoners Finds 83% Recidivism Rate | The Crime ReportThe Crime Report

Here is some reference material supporting crimes being age related. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...9639.wbecpx275

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-25-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
It is well known that crime is age related; thus 55 and over communities enjoy low crime rates simply because older adults commit far fewer crimes than young adults.

Adult children living with their parents rather than out on their own, if they are not caregivers or care recipients, usually have serious issues coping with life, issues such as substance abuse, histories of criminal behavior, consequent incarceration and mental instability. Therefore even relative to their age group as a whole they commit more crimes as recidivism rates are high. Long View of Ex-Prisoners Finds 83% Recidivism Rate | The Crime ReportThe Crime Report

Here is some reference material supporting crimes being age related. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...9639.wbecpx275
The bottom line is this;

People who are over 19 and under 55 are ALLOWED to live here

People under 19 are NOT allowed to live here no matter WHAT the circumstances. They are deed restricted to visits of no more than 30 days in a year.

The number of people who are under 55 is monitored. The rules governing the 80-20 have been presented twice in this thread and they are from the Federal government regarding age restricted communities. The age of people in resales are monitored exactly the way the age of people in new homes are monitored. We aren't even close to the 20%.

Manabouttown does not live here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-25-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
… Manabouttown does not live here.
That explains things. One of the first to go on my ignore list.

I never understood why people who never or no longer live here remain so obsessed with TV. Move along, nothing to see.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:08 AM

Ok, now I am confused. I had heard the 20% rule before. I had also heard that they lived in a different 'village' of The Villages. Had also heard that under 55 could live in the same home as long as at least one person in the home was over 55. But selling your home to someone who is 19? We were hoping to move here soon, and I totally understand someone under 55 living with the owner of the house who is over 55, but what gives? The Villages is promoted as an over 55 community and I have nothing against younger people; however there are plenty of reasons people get to our age and want to be with other people our age, at least for most of the time. Is this truly a 55 community or not? I don't see how you can have it both ways if you are calling it a 55 community.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:12 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittcm1 View Post
Ok, now I am confused. I had heard the 20% rule before. I had also heard that they lived in a different 'village' of The Villages. Had also heard that under 55 could live in the same home as long as at least one person in the home was over 55. But selling your home to someone who is 19? We were hoping to move here soon, and I totally understand someone under 55 living with the owner of the house who is over 55, but what gives? The Villages is promoted as an over 55 community and I have nothing against younger people; however there are plenty of reasons people get to our age and want to be with other people our age, at least for most of the time. Is this truly a 55 community or not? I don't see how you can have it both ways if you are calling it a 55 community.

You answered your own question...........20% can be under.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Here; hud rules for age restricted communities - Bing

There are areas (villages) built for people with families. They were built by the developer for people who work here but they are not "PART" of The Villages. They are close to The Villages, but those people living in those homes with young children do not have rights to the pools and recreation centers in The Villages and have the same rights as anyone living close by to visit the squares and restaurants.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-25-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
From HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) -

In order to qualify for the "55 or older" housing exemption, a facility or community must satisfy each of the following requirements:

At least 80 percent of the units must have at least one occupant who is 55 years of age or older; and
The facility or community must publish and adhere to policies and procedures that demonstrate the intent to operate as "55 or older" housing; and
The facility or community must comply with HUD's regulatory requirements for age verification of residents.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Is this truly a 55 community or not? I don't see how you can have it both ways if you are calling it a 55 community.
What confuses people is the bad information that gets passed around and/or assumptions drawn when they hear "55+ community". Some of that bad information even comes from representatives of The Villages itself. As I stated at least once or twice in this very thread, I've had sales agents at open houses tell me, without question, that I was not old enough to buy a home here yet and then walk in the next open house, tell them what I was told, and was told just the opposite.

Is this truly a 55 community? Yes it is

How can you have it both ways? Refer to the much discussed 80-20 regulation.

I'm stating the following based on my own, first hand knowledge and experience, not based on what I've heard or assume:

You can buy a home in The Villages if you and everyone else in the home is under 55. Doesn't matter if it's a new home or pre-owned. No special conditions or forms to sign. You are treated just like anyone over 55 in the buying/closing process. The qualification that nobody in the home can be under 19 is a restriction on everyone regardless of your own age.

These are facts. Not what I've heard or what I assume. I bought a brand new home earlier this year and my wife and I are both under 55, even if only for a relatively short time.

Why isn't this a problem? Again, refer to the 80-20 regulation. As long as people like me make up less than 20% of the population here, the regulation is satisfied. While I have met plenty of people in similar circumstances, I don't believe we make up anywhere near 20%, and like everyone else, we get older every day so we all get closer, on a daily basis, to moving from the 20% to the 80% as others come behind us.

Why does someone under 55 even want to move here? Same reasons as anyone else wants to move here, we just happen to be in a position to do it sooner than many. The one thing I hear from people here, over and over, is that they wish they would have moved here sooner - so I did.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
How can you have it both ways? Refer to the much discussed 80-20 regulation.

You can buy a home in The Villages if you and everyone else in the home is under 55. Doesn't matter if it's a new home or pre-owned. No special conditions or forms to sign. You are treated just like anyone over 55 in the buying/closing process. The qualification that nobody in the home can be under 19 is a restriction on everyone regardless of your own age.

Why isn't this a problem? Again, refer to the 80-20 regulation. As long as people like me make up less than 20% of the population here, the regulation is satisfied. While I have met plenty of people in similar circumstances, I don't believe we make up anywhere near 20%, and like everyone else, we get older every day so we all get closer, on a daily basis, to moving from the 20% to the 80% as others come behind us.

Why does someone under 55 even want to move here? Same reasons as anyone else wants to move here, we just happen to be in a position to do it sooner than many. The one thing I hear from people here, over and over, is that they wish they would have moved here sooner - so I did.
You were doing so well with the explanation until that part I bolded. The regulation is that one person in each household must be 55 or older. Thus a single home with four owners of ages 55, 19, 19, and 19 technically is a senior owned home and counts toward the 80% requirement. The language of the law applies to every single 55+ development in the country. It is not specific to here. So in an extreme example of 25 homes like the one above, there would be 100 residents of the development with 25 people of age 55 and 75 of age 19. Of course there is only an 80 % requirement so you can substitute 5 more 19 year olds for 5 seniors and still be in compliance as you'd still have 20 of the 25 homes being owned by at least one person of age 55+. So 20 people age 55+ and 80 age 19. Isn't math fun?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 AM

well, well, well. First to Ed's attack on my patriotism... you really don't know anything about me, coach (coach of what?).

Second, whomever doesn't believe there is more crime by people under 55 than by people over 55 are living in their own bubble (and not looking at what is in The Villages bubble)/

Third, Okay, 55 and under CAN, MAY LEGALLY, and ITS NONE OF MY BUSINESS. So. Get over it. What does someone who is an adult child living at home do in The Villages? Go to the town square to drink with the older folk? Play golf (I haven't seen that). Garden? Card games at the Rec centers? NONE of this really makes sense. They don't. Okay, play softball? Nope. Polo, not that I have seen in the stands. I'm still brain-storming? I know...

Being enabled BY their blind parents, drinking,... drinking.... I don't know.

And if someone has a collage degree then they can live on their own. Sorry, I don't buy it. We all have problems. What doesn't your highly functional son do for a life? Work? Well, if he can work, he can deal with living away from mommy and daddy? If he doesn't work, what does he do, stay home and watch TV? Does he drive? If he can drive, he can get away from the nest. And, if you have always had a son with issues, why would you move to the expensive villages.

You want to know the stats on healthcare here. Go look. Villages Regional gets 2.2 out of 5 stars with 175 reviews. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville gets 4.2 stars out of 254 reviews. You know why? They young adult children and young people who live outside the bubble work at the Villages Regional. Well, they don't drive down from Jacksonville. Those are FACTS.

okay, to crime... this is written BY THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THESE FORUMS... (the TLTR is: there is, and for MOST part, it is younger people (not adult child mind you, but except for a handful, not retired adults. And... if your ADULT CHILD lives in the villages and isn't a shut-in, who do they hang out with? Old people (the answer is no), Young people from the surrounding area (yes).

This is the INSIDE THE BUBBLE article in full. Make your own decision. But it is my business, I pay to live here, and I pay taxes, and I pay fees to use the amenities. I don't want to be around a bunch of 35 years at the pool.

Does The Villages Have a Crime Problem?
For many years, The Villages really lived up to its monicker, “Florida’s Friendliest Hometown”.

If you were to ask any resident the top 4 or 5 things they like about the place, the words “low crime” are often included in their statements describing why they love The Villages.

And while the community does have a pretty low crime rate, crime does exist.

Most of the crime seems to be alcohol-related, including DUI’s and sometimes domestic disputes and battery.

But, the community has had its share of thefts and other crimes.

Just to give you one example, back in 2014 there were 8 burglaries in the span of about 60 days, with one taking place between 3 and 4 a.m. while the homeowners were asleep in their bed and resulted in the theft of a 50-inch TV, a Macintosh computer and a digital camera.

There have been other rashes of burglaries at various times.

Stolen carts and golf clubs happen fairly regularly as well.

In the December 2015 update to my book (I update it every 2 years or so), I shared a few of the crimes that had occurred in the few years prior to that update:

– Shortly before Christmas one year someone was arrested for stealing UPS pack- ages from the doorstep of a home in The Villages

– A man was arrested for stealing a purse and six credit cards from City Fire in Brownwood

– There were two recent carjackings that ended with crashes in The Villages

And, here are a few of the most notable crimes that have occurred in recent years:

– A group of Polish and Russian gypsies were arrested for stealing jewelry and silverware from homes in The Villages

– In the course of the same month, a Villages man was arrested after he physically assaulted a woman who was sitting in a chair he had saved at Spanish Springs Town Square

– An employee of McCall’s Tavern confronted two teenagers who were driving recklessly around Spanish Springs Town Square. The teens attacked the employee, and he died a week later from his injuries.

– A married Villages man was arrested for firing 33 shots into his neighbor’s home after she declined his repeated sexual advances. He later admitted to having a crush on the woman. (Luckily no one was injured)

– An employee of an electrical contractor stole rings valued at $13,500 from a home he was working on in The Villages to feed a prescription pill addiction

– A 60-year old Villages resident entered the VA Outpatient Clinic armed with an AM-15 rifle, at least two additional magazines containing 26 rounds of ammo each, and a 9-mm handgun. After confronting a Dr. in an exam room, a series of struggles ensued. The suspect’s gun was discharged multiple times, but thankfully nobody was hit. The gunman was restrained by clinic staff and patients and is in custody.

I’ve told people all along, first impressions aside, The Villages is just like any other place with a population of 125,000+ people.

There are always going to be people out to take advantage of such a high concentration of middle to upper class unsuspecting victims.

As one resident put it to me:

“The Villages has over 125,000 residents. It’s a cross section of America and much of the World. Are we really without any of the problems faced by other municipalities?”

Absolutely not, and the bigger it grows the more apparent that is to those who are paying attention.

In the past, much of what happens has gone unreported by the local media for various reasons which makes it really tough for residents, let alone prospective future residents, to get a handle on how much and what kind of crime problems The Villages really faces.

This has changed recently with new sites like **************.com coming online and covering this stuff, but not everybody knows where to look.

Basically my goal is to let current and future residents know that just because you live in or plan to move to what people describe as “Disney World for adults”, you cannot let your guard down.

Keep your doors locked at all times. Get a security system. Look out for your neighbors. Program the phone numbers for local police into your phone.

All things that seem like basic common sense but we are all guilty of forgetting sometimes.

And the same goes for wherever you decide to call home.

THESE ARE THE FACTS.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
You were doing so well with the explanation until that part I bolded. The regulation is that one person in each household must be 55 or older. Thus a single home with four owners of ages 55, 19, 19, and 19 technically is a senior owned home and counts toward the 80% requirement. The language of the law applies to every single 55+ development in the country. It is not specific to here. So in an extreme example of 25 homes like the one above, there would be 100 residents of the development with 25 people of age 55 and 75 of age 19. Of course there is only an 80 % requirement so you can substitute 5 more 19 year olds for 5 seniors and still be in compliance as you'd still have 20 of the 25 homes being owned by at least one person of age 55+. So 20 people age 55+ and 80 age 19. Isn't math fun?
You are conflating owners and residents. But you do acknowledge that it's an "extreme example". When you start seeing a preponderance of 55 year olds co-habitating with multiple teenagers, get back to us. To my knowledge, the Playboy mansion is nowhere near central Florida.

I've met people that moved here at a similar age to me and a few that actually bought property here when they were under 50, but I have yet to run into anyone that purchased property here prior to reaching legal drinking age.
Closed Thread

Tags
adult, child, villages, living, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.