Adult Children living in The Villages. Why?

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
When we bought we knew that people 19 and up could live here. I know people of many different ages and I do not have a problem with any of them living here. People need to research before paying hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No jobs in the villages, you've got to be kidding. With all the construction going on, anybody that wants to work, can get a job.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-19-2018, 03:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

As is usually the case, gross generalizations about any class of people are full of misconceptions, half truths, distortion, and usually venom. Gracie's daughter is a positive and valuable influence to the community and I am fairly certain that there are many many others. There are obviously some that cause problems, but that is probably a small minority. I agree to an extent that most adult children should be self sufficient, but to paint all with the broad brush of no-accounts and leeches is unfair and to paint all their parents as enablers and weaklings is wrong, and frankly, bigoted.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
The 55 applies to how old you need to buy a home not the age which you must be to live in the home.
The Villages (developer) will only sell a new home if someone over 55 will be occupying the house. The intent is to maintain the 80% over 55 requirement for an age restricted development. You can resell your house to anyone over 18.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetakai View Post
I thought the rule was 55 and over. I am a single female hoping to retire to the Villages. I want an over 55 community where I feel safe. I am so tired of 20 somethings sitting on their cars outside my home with their music cranked to oblivion because it is daytime and nothing can be done. I am tired of the petty theft of bikes, and tipped over trash cans, and smashed in mailboxes from mailbox baseball. I want away from "strafing" where kids on bikes race at you as fast as possible and then lock their brakes spraying gravel. There is nothing you can do but hide inside, as they don't "hurt" you. Police do nothing. I am tired of my sweet peas trellis' being torn down because the kids jump them, and of trying to go shopping when some millennial shoves past me and mutters "old biach" or something worse. I have a recumbent bike I am getting rid of because when I rode it, the millennials wanted to try it. I said no because it was to exercise my leg and I had no insurance. The next day I came home from work and all 3 tires were slashed.

You may love your kids/grandkids but they don't act the same when they are outside your watchful eye. I want to live some place I feel safe, with people who understand when I speak and who don't use the F word as an adjective, subject, verb, adverb and predicate all in the same sentence.

I'm sorry I don't want to be around your kids, but why would you move to an over 55 community and hurt other people by bringing them? Just move to a normal neighborhood where your kids fit in.
I bought my first home in TV at age 42. I am now 50...and still live here.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
As is usually the case, gross generalizations about any class of people are full of misconceptions, half truths, distortion, and usually venom. Gracie's daughter is a positive and valuable influence to the community and I am fairly certain that there are many many others. There are obviously some that cause problems, but that is probably a small minority. I agree to an extent that most adult children should be self sufficient, but to paint all with the broad brush of no-accounts and leeches is unfair and to paint all their parents as enablers and weaklings is wrong, and frankly, bigoted.
Thanks, Ed. I always appreciate your thoughtful, kind, and intelligent comments.

When I see arrest reports for Villagers under 55 in the online news, I have no idea if they live with their parents or not. Why would anyone assume they do?

There are plenty of arrest reports for 55+ Villagers who are impaired by alcohol and/or drugs or who indulge in a bit of domestic violence or theft. Not sure why the misdeeds of one age group should bother me more than the other or make me uncomfortable to live here.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
We are all adult children aren't we??

We are adults, we are someone's child.

Ha! I much prefer your oversimplification to chi33's oversimplification
Old 09-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
The Villages (developer) will only sell a new home if someone over 55 will be occupying the house. The intent is to maintain the 80% over 55 requirement for an age restricted development. You can resell your house to anyone over 18.
Not true. The Villages is waaaay over 80% senior occupancy and in no danger of violating the guidelines. If you are over nineteen, and have the money, and/or excellent credit they will sell you a home.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I bought my first home in TV at age 42. I am now 50...and still live here.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
You just haven't been caught.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post

I wonder if there is anyone on my side?

500 Views and no one is. That's a pretty good indication.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Default America's Friendliest Hometown?

There seems to be a few (hopefully its just a few) that missed the tagline for The Villages which is 'America's Friendliest Hometown'.

It doesn't take much effort to search this forum to raise question to this tag.

Here is what I have seen just in the last few weeks that questions that tagline:

-Adult children should not live with their parents regardless of reason
-People that look like this (poster included a picture of a hispanic man mowing) should not work here,
-Snowbirds,
-Gypsies
-Prisoners are too close to us
-NFL players are criminals and do not respect law enforcement
-Nike products should be boycotted because they support Colin -Kaepernick
-NFL should be boycotted because players are protesting oppresion on their community (or is it the National Anthem)

It would be so nice if we could just look in the mirror and try to do better.

Last edited by thomp679; 09-19-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Again, the question wasn't if it is legal. The question was WHY WOULD someone want their ADULT CHILD to live with them in The Villages.

If someone buys the home until 55... well, that is cool because you have an interest in keeping up with community standards. I know it is 19 of over, however with that being the case, why are the mailbox swimming pools 35 and over?

So, as jimmermac said, you will mostly have the bleeding L base who shout. They will shout down everything. The others wait and then just vote. (this isn't political, its a way of how someone lives their life).

As to thomp679, well, negative news is what people want to debate. There is no debate in positive news unless it is politically motivated.

And the person who mentioned the jobs in construction... well, have you seen some of the adult children in the golf carts? Do they look like construction workers to you? As to people mentioning the crime being more seniors then adult kids; that is just silly. IN the world in general everyone knows there was more crimes commented by people under 35 then by people over 55. Based on DOJ stats (I looked it up) close to 22 of out of every person ages 35-39 commits a violent crime however about 3 of every 1000 people ages 65 or over commit a violent crime. That is 8 fold more (is that how it is said?)

(I do read the posts)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:12 PM

There are lots of reasons why an adult child lives with their parent(s). Shame on you for being judgmental.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

My daughter cane with me from California and lived with me for a year. During that year, she worked, saved her money, paid me nominal rent, helped our neighbors as much as she could. Our street was sad when she moved out. She was barely 19.

A friend’s daughter moved in with her parents when her job was downsized. She got a job with Villages Recreation, literally saved two peoples’ lives when they heart attacks at her rec center. She also helped her father take care of her mother whose cancer had come back. I don’t know if she still lives here. She is definitely an asset to whatever community she lives in. She is in her late 30’s or early 40’s.

A former client welcomed their son home after he got out of the military. He had serious PTSD. He stayed with them for a few years while he recovered. He now lives near TV. He was known in his neighborhood to help anyone with repairs, heavy lifting, etc. He was quiet and kind. He was in his 20’s.

A kid who worked for me lived with his grandfather. He moved here because of a drug problem (meth). He was hard-working, always showed up on time, polite to clients and their neighbors. He ultimately moved back home. Again, he was an asset while here.

Tal lives with his parents. He helps them by running errands, etc. From what I can tell, his neighbors have no issue with him living here.

As has been mentioned, Gracie’s Helene lives with them and always will. Helene is one of the kindest, most loving people I have ever had the honor to know. We could all do well to take lessons from Helene.

Yes, there are some problem children here. Yes, some do get arrested. So do some well over 65 folks. However, I’d say the majority of under 55 residents are an asset to our community.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 09-19-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM

To answer one question; I'm sure people have moved here and then found themselves accommodating an adult child for one reason or another. For one thing; we are all aging, and at some point might need assistance from our children. I do agree with the opinion some "kids" need to be firmly relocated! However, I presently have an adult child living with me, who is attempting to finish college, works full time, and would love to move out if they could just find reliable roommates so they could afford to. Despite what the "news" site implies, I'm sure the deadbeat creeps are the exception, not the rule. And from what I've seen and heard in TV, age does not define behavior!
Closed Thread

Tags
adult, child, villages, living, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.