Changing from pavers to stamped concrete?

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Default Changing from pavers to stamped concrete?

Has anyone had experience removing 1" pavers from their driveway and replacing it with stamped concrete?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Has anyone had experience removing 1" pavers from their driveway and replacing it with stamped concrete?
Are the pavers breaking up on the drive?
Old 02-07-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Are the pavers breaking up on the drive?
Yes.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Stamped concrete is usually done when a new driveway is poured and not as a veneer.

My guess is if you are having a problem with pavers which were added over your concrete driveway, you ultimately will have a similar problem with a stamped concrete veneer breaking up as well. A veneer cannot take the wear and tear of 1" of concrete over your existing driveway, for years and years.

If you are really unhappy with your existing driveway and like pavers or stamped concrete, I'd advise you to rip out your driveway completely and do either treatment from scratch. Either of those as a new treatment will last forever because it is done properly.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 AM

My suggestion is to call someone to assess your particular situation. A great company to deal with is Go Concrete Design. They finished my driveway with stamped concrete and my previous home also. They are a very reputable company to deal with.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

Just had our driveway painted/stained and in the discussion with several people that stopped by to see the job, a few with pavers said these are a maintenance nightmare, between cracked pavers and the need to constantly add sand.
Driveways by Jay did our driveway, and we love the design and colors, Jay did a GREAT job. He has done several driveways in the area, and on our street.
As for your problem, I agree with above, you may want to look at having the existing driveway removed, and either a new concrete driveway (painted/stained), or a new cobble stone driveway with the 4 inch paves and a compacted sand base.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Sage

This month is the 4th anniversary of our concrete overlay (not stamped concrete)driveway. No cracks so far. There is a small chunk out of the driveway by the street where the original concrete cracked, but it isn't the fault of the overlay. It did have to be recolored and resealed during Year 3, but so do painted driveways. don't they?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Who did your overlay? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
This month is the 4th anniversary of our concrete overlay (not stamped concrete)driveway. No cracks so far. There is a small chunk out of the driveway by the street where the original concrete cracked, but it isn't the fault of the overlay. It did have to be recolored and resealed during Year 3, but so do painted driveways. don't they?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Sage

I believe you will find in your deed restrictions that you must maintain a poured concrete driveway, which would preclude a 4" paver on sand drive.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

Good point, check the deed restrictions.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:06 PM

Thanks to all for the comments!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Who did your overlay? Thanks.
Stone Creations did the installation. However, when it came time to reseal, we read the negative comments about them on TOTV and went with Go Concrete instead. We are very satisfied with their service.

Last edited by Carla B; 02-10-2015 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Gold member

A way to extend the life of a paver driveway when the original pavers are no longer available is to take out a 8"x8" or 10'x10' diamond shape in the center. now use these pavers to replace your cracked ones, then replace the diamond with new pavers of a different contrasting color. As always you should sand and seal the driveway regularly to maintain its integrity and reduce the cracking of pavers.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 AM

Just had ours done, I removed the pavers and built/extended the outdoor patio out back, Go-Concrete designs then ground the surface to bare concrete. so far all looks good, love the free hand design that was done. Take a drive by at 1104 Salido Ave. For a successful job, I would think the key is having a clean concrete surface to bond the new materials. We had two cracks diagonal at the end of the driveway. The artisans designed the "flag stone" seams to follow the cracks so if the base made the new covering crack, it would follow/be concealed by the groves in the new design and be easily grouted and stained to blend in with the new design.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplars View Post
Just had ours done, I removed the pavers and built/extended the outdoor patio out back, Go-Concrete designs then ground the surface to bare concrete. so far all looks good, love the free hand design that was done. Take a drive by at 1104 Salido Ave. For a successful job, I would think the key is having a clean concrete surface to bond the new materials. We had two cracks diagonal at the end of the driveway. The artisans designed the "flag stone" seams to follow the cracks so if the base made the new covering crack, it would follow/be concealed by the groves in the new design and be easily grouted and stained to blend in with the new design.
Thank you for the info and generous offer to look at your driveway, which I will do, when I am able to travel (recovering from surgery).

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.