advice for a military retiree

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2018, 05:18 AM
Default advice for a military retiree

I am about to retire from the Army and my wife and I are planning to live in TV. I suspect my VA disability rating will be 90% to 100% when I retire. I would like to get recommendations from the group on this forum. Anything from locations to live, supplemental insurance for Tricare, VA clinic reviews, veteran service organizations to join, veteran discounts, realtors, and any other feedback from veterans/military retirees who live in TV.

Tricare Prime vs. Tricare Select?

For example, I was told to enroll in the MOAA Mediplus supplemental insurance to cover costs not covered under Tricare.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

A call to Villages health will confirm the acceptance of your health insurance, there are some different rules for under 65 to over 65, so call to make sure you understand the rules. You do not state you disability, but if this impacts your ability to travel (car or golf cart), you may want to take this into consideration as some areas are much closer to stores, restaurants, health care, etc than other areas. As I recall the VA clinic is located in the Northen area of TV.
This is a start, I am sure there will be a lot more useful info.
Also, thank you for your service.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
A call to Villages health will confirm the acceptance of your health insurance, there are some different rules for under 65 to over 65, so call to make sure you understand the rules. <snip>
Even though this statement is good advice, The Villages Health isn't the only facility to utilize for your Primary Care Physician. There are many excellent choices for primary care -- especially in your case, since you are eligible to use the services provided by the VA.

AND ... the best is yet to come! All the best to you.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We also have our own VA Medical Facility, it opened in 2010 and is fairly large, I believe it is maxed out at 16,000 patients. You might have to wait a few months before they will assign you a doctor. The hospital is in Gainesville, which is about an hour + 15 min via mostly I-75. My neighbor who is 100% disabled E-9 was taken to the hospital by ambulance 3 years ago. He was then sent over to Leesburg Hospital where they performed open heart surgery and the VA paid everything for him.

I've been going to the VA clinic and hospital since 2011. They're pretty good for the most part, sometimes they foul up. I had one doctor at the Villages clinic that took me off Plavix because my stent was put in over 18 months ago, he didn't know their was two kinds of stents, chemical and metal. I have chemical which requires Plavix for life, and I then had to go to the Gainesville hospital for angioplasty. That was in 2011 and that doctor was removed immediately from the clinic.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

With 100% disabled, tax breaks, and tricare IMO you probably won't need no supplement insurance, unless both of you don't plan on working or take job with no health care options. VA clinic is located in north side of the villages off CR 42 close to 27/441. Would be hike in golf cart if you buy far south (12 to 13 miles).

As years go by the VA clinic will be overwhelmed IMO. IMO the VA would be my last resort. But that's me. I worked and additional 20 years and used tricare as secondary insurance. After retiring again I used tricare and my wife and I has never had problem with tricare. Had some problem with certain health care providers not filing correctly, but tricare basic was fine. I think prime is not available in this area? Now I'm over 65 on tricare for life, my wife not 65 yet and she's on tricare select. She never had problem either, but we alway go to doctor in network provider.

Thanks for your service and hope the retirement re leaves some of the difficult times spent in the military especially if you were enlisted? You can now reap your reward for your sacrifice. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

Tricare Prime is not available unless you want to drive 1 1/2 hours plus one way to MacDill AFB hospital for routine care. I've been very pleased with the local VA Clinic. My 10% disability means no copays. Spouse is under 65 and has been using a combination of VA Clinic with minor copay and Tricare Select. So far it's been cheaper than the annual Prime enrolment fees that we used to pay back when Prime was available.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 AM

So spouses who are not veterans can use the VA clinic? I did not know the VA would treat them.

From the feedback, I understand Tricare Select should be our choice for living in TV.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave042 View Post
So spouses who are not veterans can use the VA clinic? I did not know the VA would treat them.

From the feedback, I understand Tricare Select should be our choice for living in TV.
My spouse is a veteran...
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Great ideas. Thank you so much.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
My spouse is a veteran...
I'm 20 plus year veteran, but that don't mean I can use the VA automatically.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I'm 20 plus year veteran, but that don't mean I can use the VA automatically.
Eligibility for VA benefits have changed over the years. It used to be much more restrictive... service during periods of conflict, etc. You may find that you now can use the VA. Veterans Eligibility - Health Benefits
Old 02-25-2018, 10:27 PM

Are you 65 or older? Medicare will become your primary and Tricare as your secondary. Call Village Health and ask 352-674-1700 your questions. If you are being seen at the VA Clinic you may be referred to The VA hospital in Gainesville which is 1.5 hours drive or McDill AFB about the same drive.

Tags
tricare, live, veteran, insurance, supplemental

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.