Advice re Gas Grill

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
To make your grill last longer, you should definitely get a cover. They're only about $25 to $50 and that alone will keep the direct sun off the tank. I have a CYV that faces east and my backyard gets sun all afternoon, so it's shaded in the morning by the house but gets sun afternoon, no problems in almost 10 years.

One tip is to buy two tanks, nothing worse then to be in the middle of grilling something and you're tank runs out.They're about $30 each at Ace Hardware. I'm not a big fan of Blue Rhino and taking tanks back and forth, you never know what tank you're going to get, something old and beat up, and you have to hassle with Lowes or someone else. Living in the south area, I use the Ace Hardware in the Wildwood Shopping Center, just drive your car around the back and leave the tank, they're usually an attendant there. He'll fill them up and you pay by the weight, when one runs out, you got a couple of months to get it filled because you're using the other tank.
What is a CYV?
Old 11-25-2020, 10:30 AM

First as a retired firefighter NEVER EVER STORE PROPANE INSIDE.

Second as long as you have a grill cover you should have no issues with it being in sunlight. When they fill a LPG tank it's done by weight to allow for vapor expansion. Tanks also have built in relief valves. If you think you're ever having a propane issue get well away from the tank, do not operate anything in the immediate area like lights, garage door opener, cell phone do not transport it anywhere and call 911from a neighbors house or yard.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Platinum member
Default Sun block recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0614 View Post
what is a cyv?
courtyard villa. Usually surrounded by rear privacy wall and fencing.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
weber is the best all round gas grill , and get the 3 burner one .
Nobody asked
Old 11-25-2020, 11:14 AM
SUENRAN
Default Natural Gas Hookup

If you live in an area where natural gas service is available, consider having a line installed for your grill....and don't forget to change the jets on the grill if you do. Never have to worry about refilling tanks!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:48 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLife View Post
I’m considering getting a propane gas grill but our CYV gets the sun all day on the patio. I’m concerned about the heat & propane canister in the super hot summer months. I could get a smaller portable grill on wheels & store it in the garage but I’m just wondering if anyone else has had similar concerns. Thank you.
Definitely not an expert on propane but I have certainly observed large home improvement places as far south as Coral Gables with huge stores of filled tanks sitting in the intense heat all day, day after day.... they must know it is not dangerous would be my guess !
Old 11-25-2020, 11:51 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUENRAN View Post
If you live in an area where natural gas service is available, consider having a line installed for your grill....and don't forget to change the jets on the grill if you do. Never have to worry about refilling tanks!
Very true ! Sure wish we had incorporated that when we built ! We "thought" we had really planned out every detail but...that's one we missed. Have you priced that as an after thought ? WOW is it expensive ! Sadly, have to stick with hauling the take to Ace and back...LOL !
Old 11-25-2020, 12:20 PM

No concern. Think about all the tanks stored in storage area in states like Arizona
It is not a concern. Get the grill of your choice and enjoy.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
To make your grill last longer, you should definitely get a cover. They're only about $25 to $50 and that alone will keep the direct sun off the tank. I have a CYV that faces east and my backyard gets sun all afternoon, so it's shaded in the morning by the house but gets sun afternoon, no problems in almost 10 years.

One tip is to buy two tanks, nothing worse then to be in the middle of grilling something and you're tank runs out.They're about $30 each at Ace Hardware. I'm not a big fan of Blue Rhino and taking tanks back and forth, you never know what tank you're going to get, something old and beat up, and you have to hassle with Lowes or someone else. Living in the south area, I use the Ace Hardware in the Wildwood Shopping Center, just drive your car around the back and leave the tank, they're usually an attendant there. He'll fill them up and you pay by the weight, when one runs out, you got a couple of months to get it filled because you're using the other tank.
Yes, but, aren't you still "..taking tanks back and forth.." plus waiting for them to be filled?
If you don't like the condition of the Blue Rhino tank offered; they will give you a different one.
We have mutiple tanks but still enjoy the Blue Rhino convience.
TEHO I guess.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:29 PM

You can just remove the tank when you are not using it. This will prevent it from getting heat on it all day and it will prevent any gas leakage. Also it is not a common thing that tanks that sit in the sun will have any issue as they are meant to withstand some heat. In Florida it doesnt get that hot even in direct sunlight.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:30 PM
Platinum member
Default Safety first

Quote:
Originally Posted by suenran View Post
if you live in an area where natural gas service is available, consider having a line installed for your grill....and don't forget to change the jets on the grill if you do. Never have to worry about refilling tanks!
keep in mind that regulators are adjustable so when switching over from propane to natural gas an adjustment or regulator replacement may be required
Old 11-25-2020, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Yes, but, aren't you still "..taking tanks back and forth.." plus waiting for them to be filled?
If you don't like the condition of the Blue Rhino tank offered; they will give you a different one.
We have mutiple tanks but still enjoy the Blue Rhino convience.
TEHO I guess.
If you buy 2 propane tanks from Ace Hardware, they are $30 apiece, that's $60. A 20 pound tank holds about 4-1/2 gallons of propane and it's about $3.50 a gallon. When I fill a tank at Ace it's about $17.00. To start new with 2 tanks and both filled is about $94, and they are now your tanks, you own them.

To start with Blue Rhino at Lowes, they are $50 for a filled tank with no exchange. That's a $100 and you don't own the tanks. When exchanging a tank it is $20, slightly higher and you still don't own the tanks. When you move, get rid of grill or whatever, if you turn in a empty Blue Rhino with no exchange, I cannot find any cash value from Blue Rhino, so in a sense you bought two used tanks if you keep them.

I also find Ace easier than going to Lowes, getting in line, paying the cashier, getting a clerk to go outside and unlock the cage and give you a tank. Ace I drive around back, set my tank on the ground, the clerk fills my tank, when he's done he gives you a slip and you go inside and pay the casher. The Ace store at Wildwood or Southern Trace are both very efficient and you have almost no waiting ever. Less hassle and I own the tanks. If might seem like a small thing, but three years ago I got rid of my grill, decided I wasn't using it enough but I still had the tanks. This past June I bought a new grill, I already had the tanks.

Lowes website Wildwood Trailwinds Villages

The Villages Florida

Ace Hardware purchase

Manchester Tank 20 lb. capacity Steel Type 1 Empty LP Tank
Item no.8100018
$29.99

The Villages Florida
Old 11-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Platinum member
Default Voila

Excellent presentation.
I like the smaller businesses myself.
They need our support to keep the monolithic businesses in check.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Our tank sits under the M/B window and we have had only 3 tanks blow up but that's why we have insurance. Picking up the pieces of siding and all my wife's clothes from our neighbors yard every year or so is a bit of a nuisance though. Our neighbor called the 2 ladies in a golf cart (with the clip boards) to report us as a nuisance but it isn't in our deed restrictions so they didn't show up. After the 3rd time we switched to a pellet smoker now they complain about the smell of wood but we just drop a rack of ribs at their front door and they don't bother us anymore.
Closed Thread

Tags
grill, i’m, propane, gas, garage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.