Advice/Rec's - Add 1/2 Bath

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Default Advice/Rec's - Add 1/2 Bath

I am considering adding a 1/2 bath to my Villages house. Looking for thoughts about advisability and do's/don'ts from those who have experience. If you have a contractor you can recommend, please pass that along. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Wow, this sounds like an interesting project. With almost all of the plumbing in the slab this could be very expensive unless your 1/2 bath backs up to an existing bathroom, this could get easy access to hot and cold water and a sink drain, but you will still need to get the drain connection for the toilet. I will be very interested in the replies. Good luck with your project.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Very doable. Look at contractor websites.......Like Advance, or XCel Construction or PSL or T&D.........they give capabilities and show past projects.

I disagree you have to back up to a current bath, you just need access to the hot/cold water and drain. There is access locations other than under the slap or another bath. A lot of times you can access the water from the garage.

Obviously, always interview and get references.

Good Luck.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Very doable. Look at contractor websites.......Like Advance, or XCel Construction or PSL or T&D.........they give capabilities and show past projects.

I disagree you have to back up to a current bath, you just need access to the hot/cold water and drain. There is access locations other than under the slap or another bath. A lot of times you can access the water from the garage.

Obviously, always interview and get references.

Good Luck.
I agree with your comments, I was assuming that the 1/2 bath was on the opposite side of the house from the garage, and getting the water supplies would be problematic. I was coming from the layout of our house, where this would be difficult at best.
Upon additional reflection, if the OP is lucky, and the waste drain is on the same side of the house as the new 1/2 bath, then it might be possible to have the new toilet drain go through the slab and outside to the existing drain line, not sure about getting through the foundation. Also, if the other bathroom is on an adjacent wall then the water supplies and sink drain could be shared, JMHO.
I would get 3 estimates, with specific lists of what is to be done, and expected payment schedules, nothing up front. Construction must get ALL of the required permits.
Good luck.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. If we go forward, I will return to the site and let you know.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:04 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply. If we go forward with the idea, I'll return and share comments about the experience.
Closed Thread

Tags
bath, 1/2, experience, advance, contractor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.