Are the AED that are installed ever used? How often?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
I am the coordinator for our neighborhood of about 100 homes in Marsh Bend. We have two, and are secured with combination locks.

We have a team of trained responders. I collected funds to purchase and install them, pay for replacement batteries in 4 years, replacement of pads after use, and pay for the alert system that notifies responders when there is a cardiac event.

We collected enough for more than 4 years of costs and alert memberships.

We are all trained, and will have periodic refresher training. We also hope to be there when needed, but don't mind if we are never needed.

Our neighborhood was easy - almost all contributed.

The way it works:
- home or family member calls 911 for response
- 911 dispatch determines location and whether this is a cardiac event where an AED would be helpful
- Emergency Services is dispatched AND EeadyAlert is notified. ReadyAlert checks their database and issues a voice and/or text alert to the responders closest to AED group.

Our group pays an annual fee to ReadyAlert for that dispatch service.
I am thrilled that TV offers this amazing service but shocked to learn that they are not provided by TV and that the volunteers are asked to continually fundraise for them.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Who in TV is supposed to provide this service and how would it be paid for, and by whom? Just curious what you had in mind.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rose View Post
AEDS are only as good as the response time of a "captain". There are usually more than 1 in a neighborhood, I'd course. There is an AED in our neighborhood, but since those people who organized and collected the money for it have moved away several years ago, who knows who is in charge or if there are any volunteer "captains" around anymore or if the defibrillator is attached to that house anymore. We have had a lot of turnover in our neighborhood through the years, so I'm pretty sure everything fell by the wayside. Big waste of money in our situation.
Please become informed about how the system works in response to cardiac arrest in our community. The captain is only a coordinator. All volunteer responders are equally qualified and trained. If you have AEDs located in your village there are active providers also available there. Maybe you would like to volunteer and help your neighbors?
Old 07-23-2021, 09:11 PM
Platinum member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Who in TV is supposed to provide this service and how would it be paid for, and by whom? Just curious what you had in mind.
Ummmm, the Morse family? They would jus tack on another $500 from the sale of homes. Otherwise if it came out of their pockets, that ain't happening.
It would be a win win situation as far as people buying homes and this is mentioned as a bonus move in factor.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Ummmm, the Morse family? They would jus tack on another $500 from the sale of homes. Otherwise if it came out of their pockets, that ain't happening.
It would be a win win situation as far as people buying homes and this is mentioned as a bonus move in factor.
Because they struggled selling homes for the last 25 years
Old 07-23-2021, 11:09 PM

They ARE USED. Many lives have been saved. The VPSD has the amazing statistics and the person asking for the donation should be able to share that data with you.

A neighborhood AED with a a team of trained and qualified responders is worth every penny you and your neighbors invest. Learn more, you may even want to get involved yourself.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:11 PM

Gross exaggeration of response time for an emergency response.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
So I live in a newer Village. Neighbors have been collecting to purchase some AED’s. One of my neighbors said in his last Village he was one of the “Captain’s “ I think they are called. I asked how often the AED’s were used and he said never to his knowledge. I was wondering if there are statistics on how often they are used in TV and the success rates? Thanks
For information, all Community Watch patrol vehicles are equipped with AED's.
Closed Thread

Tags
aed’s, village, neighbors, aed, knowledge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.