Are the AED that are installed ever used? How often?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2021, 11:03 AM
Default Are the AED that are installed ever used? How often?

So I live in a newer Village. Neighbors have been collecting to purchase some AED’s. One of my neighbors said in his last Village he was one of the “Captain’s “ I think they are called. I asked how often the AED’s were used and he said never to his knowledge. I was wondering if there are statistics on how often they are used in TV and the success rates? Thanks
Old 07-22-2021, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

For those who don't know what this thread is about, AED is an acronym for Automated External Defibrillators.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,585 Times in 932 Posts

I would guess there’s no data on how often they are used in TV. I found this conclusion from an NIH study (conclusion is 10 years old).

Survival After Application of Automatic External Defibrillators Before Arrival of the Emergency Medical System

“Application of an AED in communities is associated with nearly a doubling of survival after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. These results reinforce the importance of strategically expanding community-based AED programs.“

In a region with residents the age of Villagers, I would think an AED is a welcome addition to a Village.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:10 PM

They are definitely used. In the 1st 4 months of the year there were 71 Cardiac Arrests, 25 responses by neighbors.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Ideally, I think we would all love for them to rot in their boxes and never need to be used, sadly, that's not likely to be the case in our community.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-22-2021, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Like most things there will be a spun reality. With a heart attack time is or can be the difference between life and death.

We were approached by neighbors to contribute and we did. The pitch was if they got too much they would credit us back. They did get too much rather than issue refunds they bought two of them. More recently they were shaking us down for replacement batteries. As I recall from my internet research they are $400 each so $800 for the two in our small section.

Are they faster than EMT-emergency medical from the fire dept? Will the be in the way while struggling to find the key to the locked post. Will the EMT slow their response knowing that we have not one but two defibrillators close by. Are our well meaning amateurs able to diagnose accidental poisoning, drug overdose etc?

Nothing is ever perfect yet we expect demand that it is.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,377 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Like most things there will be a spun reality. With a heart attack time is or can be the difference between life and death.

We were approached by neighbors to contribute and we did. The pitch was if they got too much they would credit us back. They did get too much rather than issue refunds they bought two of them. More recently they were shaking us down for replacement batteries. As I recall from my internet research they are $400 each so $800 for the two in our small section.

Are they faster than EMT-emergency medical from the fire dept? Will the be in the way while struggling to find the key to the locked post. Will the EMT slow their response knowing that we have not one but two defibrillators close by. Are our well meaning amateurs able to diagnose accidental poisoning, drug overdose etc?

In some cases they will be faster and in others they will not. They are purchased for the cases where they will be faster.

Why in the world would you lock the AED? You want this to be available in an instant to whoever happens to be there. Locking them up and waiting for a key makes them far less useful. EDIT: Because these have been stolen in the past and because it seems Florida law requires AED and CPR training before someone is allowed to use one.

Will the EMT slow their response? Would the EMT like to see his name on the front page of the paper in the article about a death that occurred when the response was slowed?

The well-meaning amateurs don't need to diagnose anything. The "A" in AED takes care of diagnosing whether a shock is necessary.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 07-22-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,016 Times in 5,320 Posts

Quote:

I would think they are under lock and key to make sure only trained people can have access to them. They do get some amount of training in when and how to use them in the case of an emergency.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:59 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Villages safety gives a very good presentation on acquisition, use and training. I've never collected a penny from all the dollars Ive spent on car insurance, but still carry way more than the minimum. And thats for a piece of metal and plastic. Given the horror stories of EMS response, having a trained volunteer force and the equipment to use an AED in a time critical situation to save a life is something to be applauded, not pencil whipped
Old 07-22-2021, 05:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,083 Times in 295 Posts

Going from memory here, but the Sun had a recent story that talked about AED's, and I believe they said you have a 60% chance of surviving a heart attack in the Villages, but only 40% elsewhere, largely due to the AED's and the fact that your neighbors who are trained to use them get the 911 call the same time the ambulance does.

Our neighborhood recently took up a collection to replace some of ours that were expiring. The $5 they were asking seemed like awfully cheap heart attack insurance to me. I didn't even realize we had them. What an amazing place to live! Can anyone imagine their neighborhood back home doing this?
Old 07-22-2021, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post
Going from memory here, but the Sun had a recent story that talked about AED's, and I believe they said you have a 60% chance of surviving a heart attack in the Villages, but only 40% elsewhere, largely due to the AED's and the fact that your neighbors who are trained to use them get the 911 call the same time the ambulance does.

Our neighborhood recently took up a collection to replace some of ours that were expiring. The $5 they were asking seemed like awfully cheap heart attack insurance to me. I didn't even realize we had them. What an amazing place to live! Can anyone imagine their neighborhood back home doing this?
As I've stated thing are often spun. As far as Villagers being more likely to survive a heart attack it may have nothing to do with AED's. Younger people are far less likely to survive a heart attack than older people.

As far as $5.00 the batteries are $400. We have two, at least one more than we might need. We were asked for and paid far more than $5.00.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 PM

The 7-18-21 article in The Daily Sun stated that the cardiac save rate in The Villages is 40% compared to 10% nationally.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
For those who don't know what this thread is about, AED is an acronym for Automated External Defibrillators.
Thanks, I did not know.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,556 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:

Of course theyre faster than waiting for an EMT. And you cant seriously think an EMT will drive slower because you have access to an AED
Old 07-23-2021, 05:45 AM

My wife and I are AED/CPR responders having been trained here in TVs by the local CERT. First of all, the AEDs are locked because they are expensive and subject to being pilfered. Each responder has a key to the lock, so worrying if we can find a key is unfounded. With enough responders in an area, the call-out process is to head to the address, and once sufficient responders arrive, one or more go to the AED site and retrieve the equipment just to have it on site if needed.

I believe the latest data shows that here in TVs, responders arrive on site within 3-4 minutes of notification and fire dept and/or EMS in 5-6 minutes. First responders receive the callout via phone call, text message and email. Enough means that I personally believe we will get the emergency notification in a timely manner, day or night.

Every minute where a patient is not treated, they loose roughly 10% probability of survival. Enough reason not only to support your local group financially, but to become a local AED/CPR responder.
Closed Thread

Tags
aed’s, village, neighbors, aed, knowledge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.