Again, apartments

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran member
Default Again, apartments

Someone more knowledgeable than I, tell me what this means? Is the Village of West Lake truly in The Villages per se? Will they get amenity access?

Villages wants younger employees living inside Leesburg portion of community. Commissioners are being asked to amend the city’s comprehensive plan to allow new Community Support Districts inside the age-restricted portion of The Villages that already has gained approval in the city.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:12 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Someone more knowledgeable than I, tell me what this means? Is the Village of West Lake truly in The Villages per se? Will they get amenity access?

Villages wants younger employees living inside Leesburg portion of community. Commissioners are being asked to amend the city’s comprehensive plan to allow new Community Support Districts inside the age-restricted portion of The Villages that already has gained approval in the city.

There were requests by the developer to allow children of workers in the villages to share our amenities in special CCDs and now to allow conversion of single family into multi family homes. Mobile homes on the historic could be demolished to build apartments. Doug Gilpin who promised to let the new Sumter commissioners decide is now backtracking under pressure from the developer. Attend the meeting tonight at Everglades Rec Center at 5pm and tell the commissioners to postpone a decision until the developer spells out his plans and a detailed study can be made.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

TV infrastucture needs more workers on site.
By including affordable homes for them, TV gives themselves another cash source by housing them.
Access to all amenities?
That could be a little teeny bit contentious!
Old 10-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
There were requests by the developer to allow children of workers in the villages to share our amenities in special CCDs and now to allow conversion of single family into multi family homes. Mobile homes on the historic could be demolished to build apartments. Doug Gilpin who promised to let the new Sumter commissioners decide is now backtracking under pressure from the developer. Attend the meeting tonight at Everglades Rec Center at 5pm and tell the commissioners to postpone a decision until the developer spells out his plans and a detailed study can be made.
Share our amenities??? Are you talking about Charter Schools?

Suggesting that Mobile homes COULD be demolished on the historic side is pure exaggeration!!!

Many less expensive modular homes that went on market some four or five years ago in Orange Blossom Hills and Country Club Hills were purchased by the developer, removed and then site built homes were built and offered for less than 200K. We all applauded that because modular homes are sometimes not safe in a Hurricane.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-13-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:44 AM

I don't have any problem with apartments at Spanish Springs. I think it might just save the stores and restaurants from going under if we have more foot traffic there! I do not, however, think there should be anyone living in those Apartments who is not a "Senior". We have been here 18 years, we enjoy Spanish Springs, but this is a "Retirement Community" and as such, those Apartments should reflect that rule when choosing Tenants! The Villages, so far, has managed to staff Restaurants and Retail stores without providing housing for those workers. I don't see any reason to allow the Apartments be rented to anyone but Seniors!
Old 10-13-2020, 10:49 AM
Sage

I believe the OP was referring to these apartments built by another developer on 466 East of The Villages and West of 441/27/

Apr 30, 2020 · An 300 unit apartment complex touting its access to The Villages has revealed its pricing structure. Lake Sumter Apartment Homes and Lake Sumter Senior Living are under construction at County Road 466 and Cherry Lake Road – in Sumter County. The complex will include 300 units. The project will offer sorely needed housing for a workforce in The Villages.

Water use was refused by The Villages Inc. and granted by Lady Lake.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Dont think TV will be doing any consulting for opinions.
They have gone straight in and asked for required amendments.
Like Nike, they just do it!
Old 10-13-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post

The Village of West Lake is undeveloped land that was purchased not long ago from the City of Leesburg. It is a large area. Someday it will be developed and be part of The Villages. I'm guessing it will be 5 years or more.

There already are several Villages which are designated for families instead of seniors. It is important that the people who work here have a place to live. I can't say what will happen in the future, but in these current family villages they have their own amenities (pool, playground, rec center) and do not have access to ours.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I believe the OP was referring to these apartments built by another developer on 466 East of The Villages and West of 441/27/

Apr 30, 2020 · An 300 unit apartment complex touting its access to The Villages has revealed its pricing structure. Lake Sumter Apartment Homes and Lake Sumter Senior Living are under construction at County Road 466 and Cherry Lake Road – in Sumter County. The complex will include 300 units. The project will offer sorely needed housing for a workforce in The Villages.

Water use was refused by The Villages Inc. and granted by Lady Lake.
No, the OP was referring to a newspaper article about the Villages of West Lake, undeveloped land purchased from the City of Leesburg.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
The Village of West Lake is undeveloped land that was purchased not long ago from the City of Leesburg. It is a large area. Someday it will be developed and be part of The Villages. I'm guessing it will be 5 years or more.

There already are several Villages which are designated for families instead of seniors. It is important that the people who work here have a place to live. I can't say what will happen in the future, but in these current family villages they have their own amenities (pool, playground, rec center) and do not have access to ours.
I found the article from the Orlando Sentinel and here it is. Must be talking about the family villages for people who work here and want to send their kids to Charter Schools.

The Villages wants younger employees living inside Leesburg portion of community: report - Orlando Sentinel

Family Villages for younger workers do not share our amenities such as pools and golf courses and rec centers.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
I don't have any problem with apartments at Spanish Springs. I think it might just save the stores and restaurants from going under if we have more foot traffic there! I do not, however, think there should be anyone living in those Apartments who is not a "Senior". We have been here 18 years, we enjoy Spanish Springs, but this is a "Retirement Community" and as such, those Apartments should reflect that rule when choosing Tenants! The Villages, so far, has managed to staff Restaurants and Retail stores without providing housing for those workers. I don't see any reason to allow the Apartments be rented to anyone but Seniors!
Right! I don’t want kids living in the villages!
Old 10-13-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I found the article from the Orlando Sentinel and here it is. Must be talking about the family villages for people who work here and want to send their kids to Charter Schools.

The Villages wants younger employees living inside Leesburg portion of community: report - Orlando Sentinel

Family Villages for younger workers do not share our amenities such as pools and golf courses and rec centers.
Yes, that's it!

Note that "younger workers" simply means under age 55.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
The Developer has already stated that the apartments in the squares will only be 55+.

The Villages has been providing houses for for workers for many years. One example is the Village of Oxford Oaks.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:44 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
There were requests by the developer to allow children of workers in the villages to share our amenities
More FAKE news.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:48 PM

There was an article in the local paper several weeks/months ago presenting the developers plans for the southern area. The southern area plans included a major medical research/UF hospital complex encompassing something like 400 acres, if I remember correctly; a second charter school that will be built close to the Village of West Lake which will be a village for younger people who work in the villages. Their children will be able to attend the new charter school. The younger workers and their families will not have access to the amenities which we old folks have. They will have their own amenities within their village. There is also plans for a major sports complex near the new second village charter school. Other than that the southern area is supposed to be developed for age restricted homes just like we now enjoy.

Have your facts before starting rumors and getting everyone in an uproar.

Tags
villages, inside, portion, community, leesburg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.