Again, what is a new home?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2018, 02:04 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default Again, what is a new home?

While this was discussed two years ago, I still believe that it’s a little bit deceiving to list in print and on the web that these are New. Check the sales listing in the Daily Sun and The Villages web site under New Homes and Villas for VHN 8280146 located in Village of Bridgeport-Creekside Landings. Although the 5 listed Villas – Creekside Landings are owned by the Villages and never sold, they have certainly been used and are nine year old homes.

It’s one on the legal loop holes in my opinion that creates the need for buyers beware and or always asks questions of sellers. Some things never change. Not my dislike of naming these homes as new.

Old thread - > What is a new home?

Last edited by twoplanekid; 11-24-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I bought a car with 6000 miles on it that was never titled and considered perhaps technically new but a demo. It was priced accordingly. The Creekside villas are definitely demos and were new in 2009. Advertised furnished but how old are the furnishings? The car I bought was a current year.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chi-Town; 11-25-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:39 PM

No worry, they will sell quick. Great location.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

If you as an individual or as a contractor owned a home and rented it out for nine years, do you think a Realtor would call it a “new home” for sale? Perhaps a matter of semantics and given it’s the Village Developer it may be legal but... one can come to their own conclusion... By doing due diligence one will flush out exactly what you would be purchasing.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
If you as an individual or as a contractor owned a home and rented it out for nine years, do you think a Realtor would call it a “new home” for sale? Perhaps a matter of semantics and given it’s the Village Developer it may be legal but... one can come to their own conclusion... By doing due diligence one will flush out exactly what you would be purchasing.
One would only hope!

We know that is not always the case.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I wonder what the sellers would say if you asked about the warranties on the appliances and roof.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

I always assume that "new" means "new listing" as in - it was just recently put on the market for sale, and hasn't been since the last time it was sold (or ever, if it was always owned by the developer). If it's an actual new house - as in - it was recently built, and didn't exist at all until that point - then it would be "new construction" or specify "new home" and not merely "new."
Old 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think I heard that the developer added a five year warranty on appliances and HVAC. It would be wiser to call them something clever or at least describe them as used in Life Style visits. They would have no trouble selling them if this was done, BUT

The Morses are remarkably successful at what they do, do not need advice from any of us, and so far no one who has purchased a home used previously for LifeStyle visits, like all of the ones at Lake Sumter Landing, have come on here to complain.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Yep.

Regardless of whatever loophole exists that might make it legal, no one with any integrity or common sense would think of these houses as..."new."
Old 11-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I always assume that "new" means "new listing" as in - it was just recently put on the market for sale, and hasn't been since the last time it was sold (or ever, if it was always owned by the developer). If it's an actual new house - as in - it was recently built, and didn't exist at all until that point - then it would be "new construction" or specify "new home" and not merely "new."
In this instance, we are not talking about a “new” listing but Villas that appear listed in the new Village homes rather than preowned homes section of the paper and the Villages web site. The five listed homes are in the newly built home group because technically speaking they were never sold. That they are nine years old and lived in for most of that time period apparently isn’t a factor.

I am with garciegirl in that I would suggest placing a notice to better describe the house as being used for Life Style Visits for nine years. I recognize that these houses will eventually be sold so why not be upfront in their description?

Until the wording is changed, I would still question how these particular houses are being marketed in print and on the web as being new.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

/// /// ///.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

What is the life expectancy of a roof in TV? If these so-called new houses are nine years old, their roof life is pretty far along. I wouldn't be so concerned about the appliances as I would be about the roof.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:16 PM

So where do they do the life style visits now? Further south I guess?
Old 11-25-2018, 05:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,600 Times in 1,760 Posts

Over nine years at 365 days per year probably a few thousand people have stayed in each of those homes. How on earth can they be considered new which connotes yet to be occupied?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, opinion, it’s, villas, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.