Age of Residents

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applepie View Post
We have neighbors who moved here from Tellico. While they said it was beautiful, it is in the middle of nowhere. 60 miles to nearest hospital.

And THAT as we age, is a HUGE issue.

Beautiful there, but it snows.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

According to this site median age is 68, 67 for women and 69 for men.

Current The Villages, Florida Population, Demographics, Statistics, ages, gender and race in 2012, 2013

The stats on the population are obviously low, at just over 51,000 so they are behind the times. The Villages grows so fast informational sources do not seem able to keep up to date.

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
Found this on the internet:
82 Cool Facts About The Villages July 25, 2013 By Ryan Erisman
4. The average age in The Villages for a male is 62 and female is 60.

These ages seem low to me. Do you think that that is the average age when a person buys in The Villages? I can accept that. As the community ages so do the people that reside there.
Seems right to me. The oldest person on my street is 65 and there are over 10 people just on my street under 60
Old 08-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalboomer View Post
Seems right to me. The oldest person on my street is 65 and there are over 10 people just on my street under 60
Duvalboomer -- just wondering by your screen name I am assuming you live in the village of Duval? I am a younger wannabee so Duval may be a village I should investigate further.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
[/COLOR][/B]

And THAT as we age, is a HUGE issue.

Beautiful there, but it snows.
Gracie -- agree with you about need for easy access to health care as one ages. And my eventual goal is never to have to experience snow again except maybe during a Christmas visit to the Midwest to visit family. I hope someday to never own a snow shovel, ice melt for the sidewalk, an ice scraper or a snow brush.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Our village of Tamarind Grove was built in 2011. We have 13 CYV's on our street and we have two spouses that are 70+ and the other 24 or so residents are between 58 and 65, which would probably make the average age in the early 60's.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Duvalboomer -- just wondering by your screen name I am assuming you live in the village of Duval? I am a younger wannabee so Duval may be a village I should investigate further.
yes I know several younger people in Duval (well under 60). its a great village
Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Sage

WOW I am truly amazed.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 PM

We are 58 and 49. Retired Jan 2013, closed on our home here March 2013! We are full timers or a Frog and tadpole. (lol)
Old 08-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Sanibel is a good mix but I think there are more under 65 than over 65. I'm pretty sure that holds for all the Villages south of 466A.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
This does not surprise me---$93,800 income for the current home buyers. TV is selling Premier Homes as fast as they can build them. Many of them are 750,000-850,000 with 40,000 plus bonds. All other models are higher priced too. IMHO some over exuberance to buy new while you can! After build out, I believe home prices will level off and perhaps even drop a bit due to the fact there will be no new homes being built. This is probably a minority opinion.
I think the prices will go astronomically. Two reasons: there will be no new building to keep the prices in check. Presently resales keep new prices in check and vice-versa. Secondly, and the BIGGIE, the baby boomer onslaught. Just look at Collier, Gilcrest, Pinellas. They are selling fast and not cheap. And this is the very front end of boomers. In three years the wave begins. Even if the recession continues, NE homes (even discounted) will be less than Florida, so the prices here will continue on the rise, at least in TV. - big demand!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Gold member

Don't forget that there are a LOT of adult children living here - either very young (19-25) and not quite out of the nest, or older (30s-40s) and have moved back to the nest for whatever reason, plus quite a few disabled adult children who will live with their parents for a long time. These skew the "average age" of residents - they are residents also.

I don't know if they get these numbers from the resident ID info or not, but am guessing they do, or possibly they are getting it when people close on their homes - who knows if it ages as we do. We bought at 55, didn't move down permanently until we were 60. Now our neighborhood, which was built in 2006, is mostly late 60s, early 70s - none of us get younger. Most were around 65 when they bought new. Resales are a mix of older and younger buyers.

There are lots of retirement places where you get more house for the money, but if you want mostly warmer weather in winter, and no snow/ice, and lots to do besides golf, and nearby access to medical care, it is hard to beat TV.

My feel about age ranges is that we are still in the younger group in our early 60s, but would agree that the newer the village, the younger the overall age.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Don't forget that there are a LOT of adult children living here - either very young (19-25) and not quite out of the nest, or older (30s-40s) and have moved back to the nest for whatever reason, plus quite a few disabled adult children who will live with their parents for a long time. These skew the "average age" of residents - they are residents also.......
I get what you are saying, but since they are residents, they really skew nothing. If we didn't count them, then the data would be skewed.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCollierCpl View Post
I think the prices will go astronomically. Two reasons: there will be no new building to keep the prices in check. Presently resales keep new prices in check and vice-versa. Secondly, and the BIGGIE, the baby boomer onslaught. Just look at Collier, Gilcrest, Pinellas. They are selling fast and not cheap. And this is the very front end of boomers. In three years the wave begins. Even if the recession continues, NE homes (even discounted) will be less than Florida, so the prices here will continue on the rise, at least in TV. - big demand!
New Retirees prefer new homes over resales. Its the marketing and the availability of the new homes that brings all the prospects to TV---the resales do get some play but they are secondary to the availability of the new homes and the "buzz" of the development of TV. Somebody (maybe TV'S developer) will start-up another community with new homes----golf carts----golf courses-----stores---etc. etc. and TV prices will level off and maybe down a bit but until then prices most likely will continue to go up as long as the economy doesn't crash like '07-'08. For us TV will continue to be a good place to live. Just different after build-out without all the new homes being built and fewer prospects for the resales. How many of us would be here if we couldn't buy a new home? Many of us IMHO.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Gold member
Default you're correct, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I get what you are saying, but since they are residents, they really skew nothing. If we didn't count them, then the data would be skewed.
I think the original poster was trying to find out the average age of Villages homeowners (retirees) - and I don't think it's between 60-62. At 62, I still feel like I'm in the bottom 20%, with maybe 80% between 65-80, and another 20% over 80.
This is strictly a guess, based on what I see in the activities I attend.

Again, the newer the village, the lower the average age, but you will find all ages in all neighborhoods. And also remember that probably 10-20% of buyers in new Villages came from older Villages.

All the retirement articles are saying that baby boomers are having to work longer, in general, and as company pensions disappear, and govt pensions get more restrictive, and life expectancies extend, it only makes sense that the average age of retirees everywhere goes up.

I do think, in the last few years, with many 50 plus workers, as well as others, losing their jobs, that there has been a bump of early retirees just because their jobs ended, not because they decided to retire. I'm among them, expected to work until 62, was downsized and chose not to relocate to continue working at my company. Would think this will happen less frequently as the economy improves.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.