Age spread in a new village?

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Smile Age spread in a new village?

Anybody have an idea on what the ages, or average age is, of people buying in the new neighborhoods? As this is a 55+ community, are most of the new people near that age?

Just trying to figure out if we would inegrate better in a resale at age 67, than a new build.

Thanks for any comments in advance.

Richard and Lee from Tampa.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 PM

We are in the village of buttonwood. Ages 62 and 61
Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Sage

My guess: You'll probably find many of the buyers of new homes to be a bit younger than those in existing neighborhoods. But Sandy and I bought a resale last year and have found that our neighbors pretty much cover the 55-75 year old age spectrum.

Personally, I wouldn't worry much about the average age group of those living near us. If you tend to associate more with those closer to your own age, you'll undoubtedly connect with them through other means besides being neighbors.

Age aside, one difference I think you'll find in the recently built areas is the commonality that EVERYONE there will be new to the neighborhood. Speaking from the experience of moving into a 3-4 year old existing area, we're the 'new kids on the block' - pretty much every one of our neighbors has been living there for several years. But we've gone up and knocked on more than a few doors to introduce ourselves, always wave and say "Hi" to people driving by or out walking, etc., just to get to know some people there. But I'm sure it's a different overall feeling than moving into a neighborhood where EVERYONE is new! We'd like it either way........after all, it's in TV!

Bill
Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM

A simple question that's a little tough to answer.

I begin by saying that I will defer to those more knowledgable on the matter than I who will share their insights on the matter.

I don't know about demographics of a new village.

Logic would dictate that more 55/60-ish would be attracted to a newer village bc boomers are beginning to reach retirement status, either by "normal" age or by early buy-out packages, and the new villages have hundreds of home sites readily available.

That said, I am 57 but my neighbors on either side are mid-60s plus. One of them is moving into his 3rd TV property.

What that indicates to me is that a new village would attract more people who want to be a part of the newness, energy, and vibe of a new neighborhood, regardless of that person's age.

I presume that those who move to TV- regardless of age or any other demographic factor- share very similar core traits/interests, generally speaking. Otherwise, they would have chosen to retire somewhere else.

Consequently, if you both determine that TV is for you, then I believe that you will gravitate to folks who share same interests as you do no matter which village you select.

Age is just a measurement of how long you've had a life. Attitude is an indication of how you live your life.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Sage

It's been my experience that TVers don't care how old you are chronologically or what you did before you came. My friends in TV are all over the (senior) map, age wise.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
It's been my experience that TVers don't care how old you are chronologically or what you did before you came. My friends in TV are all over the (senior) map, age wise.
I agree. In a retirement community like TV, there are just different degrees of "oldness". Everyone is up there in years, some just more than others.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Veteran member

I wouldn't say that it would be all "younger" folks in the new villages!!! In ours (Amelia) on our street, it runs the gamut of 80+ to 50-something. Everyone pretty much gets along just fine. "AGE" in my opinion is subjective!!
I've seen folks in their 40's pretty much rolling up their street before the sun goes down and acting as if they were quite elderly. I've seen folks in their 70's and 80's having people needing to guess just how old they were. I wouldn't worry about it!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Gold member

I have met 3-4 couples who first bought in an older neighborhood (close to Spanish Springs) and felt no one was out and about and the neighborhood wasn't very social anymore - they all ended up selling their first TV homes and buying either new or a couple of years old to find a more "social" neighborhood.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum member

kofficer:

After 6 years here in Sunset Pointe, which was all under construction when I moved in, my street of 16 houses have aged together. Our youngest couple came about 2 years after the rest of us. They're now 58+64. Our oldest couple are mid-80s.

This "old crock" is three-quarters of a century old.

As we age, many folks our (my) age are now thinking more about retirement or assisted living homes than about a 55-plus suburbia!

My gut says the newbies are younger than me!

I saw somewhere a couple months ago that the average age in TV is now closer to 62 than 70!

But, as others have said, age doesn't matter here at all! We're all kids working on our second (third?) childhoods!

Welcome!

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.