aggravating experience at the supermarket

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Sage
Default aggravating experience at the supermarket

My luck has not been good the last few days at the supermarket. We decided to try Aldi lately to save some money on produce. We have always shopped at Publix for this. Bought 3 zucchini in a bag at Aldi and got them home and they smelled so bad and were rotten. Opened up the bag of mini English cucumbers, also rotten. As we are checking out at the checkout my husband's finger went through a big rotted spot on the watermelon we were buying.

Went to Sam's club tonight and bought a roasted chicken and $6.98 package of already cut up red watermelon. Got home and cut the chicken and began eating and the chicken was not thoroughly cooked. Opened the package of watermelon and the watermelon, although red was so hard I could not put a fork through it. The entire package was hard.

Yes we did get refunds but the aggravation of having to make two trips takes the pleasure out of it. Now I will do my produce shopping back at Publix from now on and will probably never buy another already roasted chicken.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
My luck has not been good the last few days at the supermarket. We decided to try Aldi lately to save some money on produce. We have always shopped at Publix for this. Bought 3 zucchini in a bag at Aldi and got them home and they smelled so bad and were rotten. Opened up the bag of mini English cucumbers, also rotten. As we are checking out at the checkout my husband's finger went through a big rotted spot on the watermelon we were buying.

Went to Sam's club tonight and bought a roasted chicken and $6.98 package of already cut up red watermelon. Got home and cut the chicken and began eating and the chicken was not thoroughly cooked. Opened the package of watermelon and the watermelon, although red was so hard I could not put a fork through it. The entire package was hard.

Yes we did get refunds but the aggravation of having to make two trips takes the pleasure out of it. Now I will do my produce shopping back at Publix from now on and will probably never buy another already roasted chicken.
I am so sorry. You are always so positive and upbeat on here and such a help to all of us.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Sage

You made the right decision.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am so sorry. You are always so positive and upbeat on here and such a help to all of us.
Thanks Gracie. Just spoiled dinner tonight. Not that big of a deal in the scheme of things but I will double check items I buy from now on although the chicken and watermelon were beautiful from the outside.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
You made the right decision.
Yup!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:49 PM
Platinum member

That is why I shop at Publix.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I have never had a problem with Aldi's produce. I did buy a French Brie cheese there which was disgusting, they took it back with no problem.

However, just this week - in fact this morning - I have to take back to PUBLIX three grapefruit which have gone rotten. I bought a bag for $7.99 a couple of days ago and already three are rotten. But, I know I will have no problem with Publix because their customer service is second to none!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-09-2018, 07:07 AM
Location: Village of Buttonwood, original town Hubbard, OH (suburb of Youngstown)

I do my shopping at Walmart and have little problem with bad produce. I do work there but even if I didn't work there, I would still do my shopping at Walmart to save LOTS of money over the competitors!
Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
That is why I shop at Publix.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Produce is a difficult commodity.

Must stay on top of rotation and disposal.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Aldi's is not a supermarket .. It's closer to a third world grocery store .. Read the threads .. people talk about how they take their bad produce back all the time .. It was one and done for me .. Most of us are well past the "just as good as" posers ..
Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Finding a purchased perishable perished is irritating. Repeatedly finding purchased perishables perished can indeed aggravate that irritation.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Aldi's is not a supermarket .. It's closer to a third world grocery store ..

Better check your facts : ALDI is the common brand of two German discount supermarket chains with over 10,000 stores in 20 countries, and an estimated combined turnover of more than €50 billion..

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The produce manager can make a huge difference in a grocery store

.Produce Manager Duties | Chron.com

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post

Better check your facts : ALDI is the common brand of two German discount supermarket chains with over 10,000 stores in 20 countries, and an estimated combined turnover of more than €50 billion..

Which includes Trader Joe's as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
watermelon, chicken, package, publix, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.