aggravating experience at the supermarket

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Any of you ex hippies out there growing anything else?
Old 08-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Sage

I had heard that they are building a large hydroponic garden nearby to provide produce to our local grocery stores. I saw what I think is the structure going up near Brownwood. I hope the veggies taste home grown. Having grown up on a farm I miss the taste of home grown veggies.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Hey, come to think of it, in our 55 1/2 yrs of marriage and living in many place, I never had to return a grocery item. There were a few times when I thought the item was inedible, but I just did not want to bother to drive back to the store just to get a few dollars or cents back. I always thought being miserly was a sign of being mean.

I witnessed an elderly man demanding at a restaurant that he was shortchanged ten cents. The line behind him was getting log and long, so I gave him a dime and asked him to leave. He drove away in a brand new Cadillac. Ever since then I swore to myself that I would never be one of those miserly mean grouches.
I agree . Never let anyone deliberately take advantage but never be a miser. Most of us here can well afford to be generous but some just can’t seem to get into that “loving feeling”
Old 08-10-2018, 03:59 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I beg to differ. A customer of mine just received ARC approval to have an 8’ side by 3’ deep herb garden (with wooden sides) built directly behind her house.
I stated that ours does not allow vegetable gardens, I did not say yours does not, no need to beg to differ. While on the subject, are you allowed to grow vegetable in your herb garden?
Old 08-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I stated that ours does not allow vegetable gardens, I did not say yours does not, no need to beg to differ. While on the subject, are you allowed to grow vegetable in your herb garden?
Whats the difference between an herb and a vegetable? But yes, VOG, it was approved as an herb garden.

Also, for clarity and my edification, could you please reference the Deed Restriction which prohibits such an item. I'd be interested to read it, especially since ARC approved the plans for my customer.

Last edited by photo1902; 08-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Whats the difference between an herb and a vegetable?
"a herb is something that flavours food where a vegetable is a plant that can be eaten as a main ingredient."

Copied from here: What Is The Difference Between A Herb And A Vegetable > This Week In The Garden

This too:

An herb is an annual, biennial, or perennial plant which does not produce permanent woody stems, and has aromatic, medicinal, or savory qualities.

A fruit is the ovary or seed-bearing part of a plant.

A vegetable is any other part of a plant--stems, leaves, roots, bulbs, tubers, etc. that is eaten.

Dictionary by Merriam-Webster: America's most-trusted online dictionary

Herbs, fruits, and vegetables are all plants. Not all plants are herbs, fruits, or vegetables. Maybe they wouldn't have approved tomatoes, peppers & eggplant growing but OK'd herbs ???

Last edited by EdFNJ; 08-10-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 AM
Sage
Default The Villages Grown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I had heard that they are building a large hydroponic garden nearby to provide produce to our local grocery stores. I saw what I think is the structure going up near Brownwood. I hope the veggies taste home grown. Having grown up on a farm I miss the taste of home grown veggies.
In the August Vmail video, beginning construction of The Villages Grown was mentioned. It will be on Route 44, kitty corner to the Rohan Rec. Center. The Villages Grown is supposed to provide nutrient dense, sustainably grown produce. The Vmail did not say when construction would be finished.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Recomendation

Regarding concern in buying "roasted chicken". We buy ours at "Whole Foods" and have never been wrong. They are slightly smaller and a trifle over priced but definitely worth it. Found Sam's to be big, cheaper but very tough.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
In the August Vmail video, beginning construction of The Villages Grown was mentioned. It will be on Route 44, kitty corner to the Rohan Rec. Center. The Villages Grown is supposed to provide nutrient dense, sustainably grown produce. The Vmail did not say when construction would be finished.
It would be nice if they have a farm stand and sell the vegetables.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
It would be nice if they have a farm stand and sell the vegetables.
Definitely, and hopefully tours of the operation will be offered.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
...They are...a trifle over priced but definitely worth it...
Well which is it?

Just kidding. I got a little chuckle when I read this.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Many senior/retirement communities and even some municipalities have community gardens. You pay a modest yearly fee for a square within the garden. You are responsible for its upkeep, and you are limited as to what you may/may not grow, and which pesticides/fertilizers you may/may not use. Some are strictly organic herb and vegetable gardens, some allow non-food flowers, some are flowering plants only, some allow decorative grasses. Some allow "garden gnome" type decorative touches, some don't.

The community takes turns watering the whole thing, or has a built-in watering system. You might have an option of selecting a square within a section of the garden that doesn't get the automatic watering (in case you're planting desert-friendly plants or vegetables that don't thrive with daily watering, such as tomatoes).

I haven't heard anything here mentioned about TV having such a thing, and it sort of has me wondering why not. I could imagine each village having a small raised-bed plot for things like tomatoes, squash, beans, herbs, peas, sweet potatoes, sunflowers, etc.

And if you decide you don't want to participate anymore (or are unable for whatever reason) you let the garden manager know, and they rake the whole thing over and allow it to become fallow til your "right to use" period expires. Then they let someone else use it.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Many senior/retirement communities and even some municipalities have community gardens. You pay a modest yearly fee for a square within the garden. You are responsible for its upkeep, and you are limited as to what you may/may not grow, and which pesticides/fertilizers you may/may not use. Some are strictly organic herb and vegetable gardens, some allow non-food flowers, some are flowering plants only, some allow decorative grasses. Some allow "garden gnome" type decorative touches, some don't.

The community takes turns watering the whole thing, or has a built-in watering system. You might have an option of selecting a square within a section of the garden that doesn't get the automatic watering (in case you're planting desert-friendly plants or vegetables that don't thrive with daily watering, such as tomatoes).

I haven't heard anything here mentioned about TV having such a thing, and it sort of has me wondering why not. I could imagine each village having a small raised-bed plot for things like tomatoes, squash, beans, herbs, peas, sweet potatoes, sunflowers, etc.

And if you decide you don't want to participate anymore (or are unable for whatever reason) you let the garden manager know, and they rake the whole thing over and allow it to become fallow til your "right to use" period expires. Then they let someone else use it.
That's a great idea. I think there is something like that by the wood shop.
Awhile ago is remember communities built around farms instead of golf courses. A room with a view sounds pretty good to me.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:54 AM

Any and all grocery stores have a problem staying on top of aging produce, particularly that which is pre-bagged. A word to the wise: shop for your items individually and place them in a provided bag yourself. Might cost you a little more initially, but you will save yourself the frustration of taking it back once you get it home. Believe me, I learned this the hard way!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Sage

My husband is the administrator of a community garden in the area of Buffalo ridge just off 466. It has been in existence for years. It is all laid out like square foot gardening and has I'm guessing 50 or 60 plots that are rented each year by whoever wants one. The produce harvested is for your own family's use. It's not the garden on Rolling acres where the produce is donated to charity. There are rules that are followed and each gardener has to sign a form to follow the garden rules. He has most of the plots rented with gardening starting in a few weeks but may have two or three left.
Closed Thread

Tags
watermelon, chicken, package, publix, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.