Aggressive Snake

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Gold member
Default Aggressive Snake

I know, another snake thread. I was out of town for a week and when I returned, I noticed that my collection of anoles was much smaller than when I left. Thinking a predator might be around, I walked out of my slider onto the patio, and was moving down the sidewalk along the side of the house (my courtyard villa has a grass lawn), when a long black racer raised its head about a foot off the grass and struck at me. I was 7-8 feet away from it, so it had no chance to bite me, but it scared the daylights out of me. It proceeded to strike at me several more times, so I ran into the garage and got a golf club. I'm a live and let live person when it comes to "harmless" snakes, but I won't put up with an aggressive animal of any kind in my yard. I wasn't able to catch him and he slithered into a thick bush where I couldn't see him. Apparently he left the area as I haven't seen him since and the remaining anoles are active again. Has anyone else ever had a run-in with an aggressive black racer?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

He was aggressive cause you were afraid of him. He was bluffing with no bullets ( fangs or poison) to fire at you. I had to run one out of my garage he thought he was the boss till it put my boot in his face. He ran for the hills. I don’t kill them not because the eat the lizards but small rodents. I like the anoles cause the eat insects around house. Even had one inside House that I couldn’t catch for month. I would wake up and he would be steering at me from end table.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Yikes! I have heard they are aggressive if cornered, but from your description it didn’t sound like it was. Personally, I would’ve shrieked and run the other way. We have had one or two slither across our yard, and occasionally found snake skins, but no encounter like you described.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

what was your choice of club?
Old 08-14-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Not fond of snakes that are aggressive myself. I’m pretty sure one of us would have to leave and since I pay the property tax I think it would not be me.
I have an outside hose.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
what was your choice of club?
I find a five iron works best for snake clubbing.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
A couple rounds of 22LR rat or snake shot will do the trick as well.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

I have a black snake in my front yard. See him every once and awhile. He doesn't bother me and I don't bother him.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A couple rounds of 22LR rat or snake shot will do the trick as well.
I was thinking a .410. But I guess I'll have to scale down when we move to The Villages.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Gold member

My club was an Adams Tight Lies 7-wood. But the snake got up against the concrete wall, and although the Adams 7-wood is not my favorite, I was afraid of hitting the wall and ruining a perfectly good club. I have a broom out there now. With that next time I can pin him down and deal with him when he's helpless. I hope.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Love your question about which club to use.... reminds me of many years ago when Tiger's wife took a club to his automobile window.... and the most asked question around central Florida was "what was her club selection/"....LOL... turns out, rumor had it, she chose a 9 iron !
Old 08-14-2020, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
Love your question about which club to use.... reminds me of many years ago when Tiger's wife took a club to his automobile window.... and the most asked question around central Florida was "what was her club selection/"....LOL... turns out, rumor had it, she chose a 9 iron !
Well you do have to be careful with some of the irons.

Once upon a time playing in a kind of wet snow hit a golf ball and the head of the 5 iron went further than the ball. The next hole same thing happened with 6 iron.

Called Macgregor and they kind of begged me to send all of the clubs back and they could not wait to send me a top of the line set of irons. Guessing there was kind of sorta some legal issue if someones head got in the way of a flying head.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
My club was an Adams Tight Lies 7-wood. But the snake got up against the concrete wall, and although the Adams 7-wood is not my favorite, I was afraid of hitting the wall and ruining a perfectly good club. I have a broom out there now. With that next time I can pin him down and deal with him when he's helpless. I hope.
That’s why I keep my old set of clubs in the garage. I can lend them to others who need to borrow some clubs, or if necessary, risk damaging one of them for pest control : )
Old 08-15-2020, 05:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I know, another snake thread. I was out of town for a week and when I returned, I noticed that my collection of anoles was much smaller than when I left. Thinking a predator might be around, I walked out of my slider onto the patio, and was moving down the sidewalk along the side of the house (my courtyard villa has a grass lawn), when a long black racer raised its head about a foot off the grass and struck at me. I was 7-8 feet away from it, so it had no chance to bite me, but it scared the daylights out of me. It proceeded to strike at me several more times, so I ran into the garage and got a golf club. I'm a live and let live person when it comes to "harmless" snakes, but I won't put up with an aggressive animal of any kind in my yard. I wasn't able to catch him and he slithered into a thick bush where I couldn't see him. Apparently he left the area as I haven't seen him since and the remaining anoles are active again. Has anyone else ever had a run-in with an aggressive black racer?
Those of you who get Amazon Prime on your televisions should watch the Australian series “Snake Boss,” about a woman who catches poisonous snakes in Brisbane for a living. It’s pretty fun, and scary, and icky, too. You’ll learn pointers about catching them using tools sort of like golf clubs.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:33 AM

I would recommend a sticky rat trap along the wall. That will catch it and send it dispose of it. The only good snake is a dead snake.
Closed Thread

Tags
aggressive, live, snake, racer, black

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.