Aggressive vehicle driving toward golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 02-29-2020, 02:39 PM
Default Aggressive vehicle driving toward golf carts

I witnessed a gray SUV yesterday (2/28/20) on Morse Blvd around 5:30 PM heading south near the 466 gate driving very aggressively. I observed a golf cart in front of me put their blinker on to cross Morse (southbound) to get to the median to cross the northbound traffic just north of the 466 gate. The golf cart was over 200 feet in the clear of this gray SUV. The gray SUV had to be going well over 50 MPH because the SUV closed the gap very quickly on the golf cart. The golf cart barely was in the median when the driver of the SUV pulled up on them (in the median) and almost rammed the golf cart and laid on the horn for about 5 seconds, then drove off at a quick pace. We don't need this type of behavior in The Villages people. Please remember this is a golf cart community and golf carts share some of the roads we drive on so lets try and be respectful and safe.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

While you are correct, if there were a new thread for every incident of bad golf cart or car driving that one sees around here this forum would explode. Oh wait, there is!
Old 02-29-2020, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyola View Post
I witnessed a gray SUV yesterday (2/28/20) on Morse Blvd around 5:30 PM heading south near the 466 gate driving very aggressively. I observed a golf cart in front of me put their blinker on to cross Morse (southbound) to get to the median to cross the northbound traffic just north of the 466 gate. The golf cart was over 200 feet in the clear of this gray SUV. The gray SUV had to be going well over 50 MPH because the SUV closed the gap very quickly on the golf cart. The golf cart barely was in the median when the driver of the SUV pulled up on them (in the median) and almost rammed the golf cart and laid on the horn for about 5 seconds, then drove off at a quick pace. We don't need this type of behavior in The Villages people. Please remember this is a golf cart community and golf carts share some of the roads we drive on so lets try and be respectful and safe.
Always a possibility, wasn't a Villager...…..
Old 02-29-2020, 03:58 PM
Sage

That is a treacherous road (Morse, north of 466) for golf carts and especially at that crossing. Drivers of cars should pay attention and drive cautiously and not recklessly.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
That is a treacherous road (Morse, north of 466) for golf carts and especially at that crossing. Drivers of cars should pay attention and drive cautiously and not recklessly.

I absolutely agree that location is dangerous and poorly designed.

I think there's enough room to build a two-way MMP, on the east side of Morse, from San Marino (first traffic light north of the gate) down to the wood bridge by the church...and would be much safer.

You could still keep the cart lane south of San Marino on the west side of Morse, for those that need to access those other couple of roads/villages...but they at least wouldn't have to cross Morse.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Some people need anger management.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

In my over eight years here I have seen it all. Most of the time the aggressive drivers are contractors with a trailer. I have had them blow their horn, curse me with the widow down, shoot me the middle finger.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

I think if they had built a tunnel under Morse at that gate, or possibly a bridge over it, that would've solved the problem. Would have also been awesome if they'd widened that rickety wood bridge that curves around the gate area by just four inches on each side. That thing is slippery when wet - the tiniest skid while slowing down could send a golf cart right into the water below!
Old 03-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I think if they had built a tunnel under Morse at that gate, or possibly a bridge over it, that would've solved the problem. Would have also been awesome if they'd widened that rickety wood bridge that curves around the gate area by just four inches on each side. That thing is slippery when wet - the tiniest skid while slowing down could send a golf cart right into the water below!
Never happened...………………………..
Old 03-01-2020, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Never happened...………………………..
Actually...it did.

About 3-4 (5?) years ago, a woman missed the bridge and went into the water...while headed north.

Which is why shortly after, they redid it and widened it...just a tad.

They could/should...have went even wider.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:07 AM

Not to discredit what you had witness, And to the goof ball that was driving like an idiot, but I'm surprised the golf cart used its blinkers
Old 03-02-2020, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
As The Villages built and grew, the planners got better. I think that the area's decisions in that area are managed by the residents after the dumb "lawsuit". Not so south of 466, it is still the CDD way of things. I like that.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Actually...it did.

About 3-4 (5?) years ago, a woman missed the bridge and went into the water...while headed north.

Which is why shortly after, they redid it and widened it...just a tad.

They could/should...have went even wider.
I stand informed.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyola View Post
It happened to me twice. At the St James gate turning onto St Charles in my cart. I was turning left onto Barksdale and waiting for oncoming cars to clear once a white SUV with Wisconsin license plate goes into the golf cart lane on the right and passes around me and beeps the horn as he goes by. The second time at the same location again I’m turning left at the same street. He comes full spread out of the gate I’m waiting to turn he comes up behind me goes into the golf cart lane to drive around me and opens his window and yells at me “GO”. This was a black SUV with Florida license plate. Isn’t the cart lane only open to carts and bicycles? I’m pretty certain cars are never allowed in that lane. Anyone?? Is that the case?? Why have people become so rude and aggressive. 🙁
Old 03-02-2020, 07:36 AM

We have no idea what the motivation of the SUV driver was. Mad at someone? A personal emergency? We take your word for what you saw. I have also seen golf cart drivers think they have the right of way when merging into roadways from the golf cart lane. I have also investigated hundreds of traffic accidents during my career. I was often amazed when people who say they are eye witnesses to the same event have totally divergent perspectives.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, suv, median, gray

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.