Air Conditioning Service!

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Default Air Conditioning Service!

Beware of this company, they were fine until there was a problem, they replaced a part that I firmly believe did not need replacement and charged me over $ 350.00 and the air conditioner still did not work, the third attempt they fixed a wire problem that tech. said it was wired wrong, he rewired and solved the problem. They replaced the pump which did i believe did not need replacing.I brought this to the attention of the Service and Store managers and they keep making excuses and refused to bring this issue to a resolution. I have a contract with Munns to service air conditioner twice a year for $ 139.95 and I had it serviced once asked for refund for the second half of year and was told refund would be $ 60.00 not half of # 139.95 which is $ 69.98. They must need the money ? I have been a customer for Four years and now will go to another company.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Default A/C

I guess your talking about Munns?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Take the $60.00 and move on. I know nothing with respect to Munns. We've been happy with Sun Kool.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Sage

That would be cool if Munns tried that with us, since they were the builders contractor--realy thinking of going to Chuck Farrell, but any company is only as good as its worst employee
Old 06-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

I think that purchasing a service contract is a very bad idea. Some may think that having a service contract will get you faster and better service, but I think it is the opposite. If you have a contract, you are required to use one company for a repair, and you have already paid that company for the repair in advance. So, the contractor has no monetary incentive to give you a high priority. But, if you don't have a contract, you are free to call any one of many available contractors, who will give you same day service because they want your business. To me, this is a no brainer.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-03-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:04 AM

He seems to be referring to a maintenance contract, not a service contract. This would be for new filter, cleaning, and checking/adjusting 2x a year. He has not paid for any repairs in advance.

The $350 charge he refers to seems to be in addition to his service contract. The service contract does not obligate you to use the same company for repair, although they usually claim they give you priority service and a lower rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think that purchasing a service contract is a very bad idea. Some may think that having a service contract will get you faster and better service, but I think it is the opposite. If you have a contract, you are required to use one company for a repair, and you have already paid that company for the repair in advance. So, the contractor has no monetary incentive to give you a high priority. But, if you don't have a contract, you are free to call any one of many available contractors, who will give you same day service. To me, this is a no brainer.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

If so, even that is a waste of money. There is really nothing to clean in an air conditioner, except the evaporator coil, which is not accessible without dismantling the unit, and they are not going to do that. And, as long as it is cooling properly, there is nothing to adjust or clean. Replacing the filter is a simple DIY task, and Munn's will charge you $50 for a filter that you can buy at ACE Hardware for $15.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-03-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:19 AM

The compressor can get leaves etc. inside depending upon where you live. Coils do get dirty and should be sprayed periodically. Yes, filters are easy for most. But maybe a widow who is elderly does not want to or know how to change it. And, would you know the system is running efficiently solely based on the fact that at some point in time, the inside temperature reaches the thermostat setting?

To each his own, it seems......

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If so, even that is a waste of money. There is really nothing to clean in an air conditioner, replacing a filter is simple, and as long as it is cooling properly, there is nothing to adjust.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:51 AM

I would not have a HVAC system without a service contract. Rodents love to get in the compressor area and will chew on and through the wires. The freon lines can develop leaks just due to the thermal expansion. Twenty degrees is enough over a period of time. The units efficiency is dependent on clean vents, free of any junk. Critters will store stuff in these areas. Normally the cost of the contract is for the cleaning and inspection. Always at a much lower rate than the advertised amount. Any repair work comes with a reduced rate for the tech. Also parts are at cost.

We have had contracts in four different cities with different firms. Always got the immediate service when something was wrong.
The service is scheduled and you can ask for a tech you like.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

I found Munns to be extremely expensive and only interested in pushing the service contract. I went elsewhere, competition is a great thing!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Sage

Munns installed our system (new home) and does the required annual maintenance/inspection to maintain the 10 year parts/5 year labor warranty. They have also addressed 2 warranty issues (out of balance condenser fan and failed start capacitor). No complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I found Munns to be extremely expensive and only interested in pushing the service contract. I went elsewhere, competition is a great thing!
Closed Thread

Tags
service, air, problem, year, conditioner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.