Air conditioning service contract

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2018, 04:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Air conditioning service contract

I need to read up on the details of this later today but I believe we have a year from our new house closing date to decide whether to purchase. I think I had previously read that it’s 5 years labor and 10 years parts. I was just wondering if others thought this was a good or bad idea. The company is Sun Kool. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
I need to read up on the details of this later today but I believe we have a year from our new house closing date to decide whether to purchase. I think I had previously read that it’s 5 years labor and 10 years parts. I was just wondering if others thought this was a good or bad idea. The company is Sun Kool. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

As I understood with Sun Kool you have two years from your closing date to sign up for the extended LABOR warranty that will take you to 10 years. I too am contemplating the same thing whether another five years of labor is worth it. I believe the extra 5 years is around $649. If you sell as I understand you would get part of that money back minus what you may have used in labor through that period.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

Yes now that you mention it, I believe it is two years to sign up. I guess the only negative on waiting the two years is that the price could go up. Hopefully we can get others thoughts on this.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuctba View Post
As I understood with Sun Kool you have two years from your closing date to sign up for the extended LABOR warranty that will take you to 10 years. I too am contemplating the same thing whether another five years of labor is worth it. I believe the extra 5 years is around $649. If you sell as I understand you would get part of that money back minus what you may have used in labor through that period.
Actually now that I’m reading, the 10 year parts and 5 year labor warranty were included by the Villages when you purchased your home. The extended SunKool warranty is a maintenance warranty where you get a couple tuneups per year. It includes a discount of 20% off service calls as well as no overtime or weekend charges and biofresh duct treatment. I may call today to find out what they charge for a tuneup if you don’t have the maintenance contract.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Consumer Reports position on extended warranties/service contracts.

Don't Buy Extended Warranties - Consumer Reports

Quote:

When you need to repair your car, refrigerator, computer, or a major system in your home, it’s comforting to think you won't have to break the bank to pay for the fix. That’s why so many people are open to the idea of buying extended warranties that cover repair costs from the many companies that sell them.

These protection plans are also sometimes called service contracts or protection policies. But by whatever name, our advice is the same: Skip them.

Extended warranties can have many gotchas, relying on contract fine print to deny coverage for almost any reason. They've become a major source of complaints to the Better Business Bureau and elsewhere.

“Accidental damage may not be covered. And there may be clauses that allow the company to deny coverage if, for example, you don’t follow their instructions for routine maintenance,” says the Federal Trade Commission.

And yes, there are some folks who have come out ahead...by purchasing an extended warranty.

However, if the company offering the extended warranty wasn't making a profit (often quite large) on them...they wouldn't exist in the first place.

It all boils down to the fact that no one can predict the future and how much someone is willing to spend...for their own peace of mind.

Just be sure to read all of the fine print on what is/isn't covered and what level of 'routine maintenance' is required...to maintain the extended warranty.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 05-14-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Consumer Reports position on extended warranties.

Don't Buy Extended Warranties - Consumer Reports

And yes, there are some folks who have come out ahead...by purchasing an extended warranty.

However, if the company offering the extended warranty wasn't making a profit on them...they wouldn't exist in the first place.

It all boils down to the fact that no one can predict the future and how much someone is willing to spend...for their own peace of mind.

Just be sure to read all of the fine print on what is/isn't covered and what level of 'preventative maintenance' is required...to maintain the extended warranty.
Yeah I realize most service contracts are a rip-off.
To be covered by the included 10 year part and 5 year labor warranty requires that annual maintence be done on the unit so I need to find out how much is charged for this by Sun Kool without the Sun Kool maintence contract.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,684 Times in 5,232 Posts

Quote:
Actually now that I’m reading, the 10 year parts and 5 year labor warranty were included by the Villages when you purchased your home. The extended SunKool warranty is a maintenance warranty where you get a couple tuneups per year. It includes a discount of 20% off service calls as well as no overtime or weekend charges and biofresh duct treatment. I may call today to find out what they charge for a tuneup if you don’t have the maintenance contract.
The Villages only provides a one year warranty on individual parts and labor, and a 2 year warranty on "systems". But, the manufacturer of the A/C equipment, such as Carrier, often have longer warranties.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,684 Times in 5,232 Posts

Quote:
Yeah I realize most service contracts are a rip-off.
To be covered by the included 10 year part and 5 year labor warranty requires that annual maintence be done on the unit so I need to find out how much is charged for this by Sun Kool without the Sun Kool maintence contract.
I agree. These service contracts have never made sense to me because it limits your options when your system breaks down. You are tied to one company, and they may not be as quick to come out to repair your system. And, the company your have paid in advance may be looking for new business and may not give you the high priority response that you deserve.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Villages only provides a one year warranty on individual parts and labor, and a 2 year warranty on "systems". But, the manufacturer of the A/C equipment, such as Carrier, often have longer warranties.
Yes you are correct. The extended warranty is not through the Villages.
“Because you purchased a home in The Villages, your heating and cooling system comes with an enhanced Carrier 10-year factory part warranty and a 5-year labor warranty through Climate Shield. Climate Shield is an insurance company.”
Old 05-14-2018, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
My last Sun Kool tune up bill was $89.00 dated 10/31/2017
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
My last Sun Kool tune up bill was $89.00 dated 10/31/2017
I believe that is the lowest price plan which includes one tune-up. We’ll probably go with that. Then there is a $199 plan which includes two tune-ups and a $50 credit for filters, etc. along with a few other benefits. Finally they quoted me a plan for $649 shortly after I bought. I’m waiting for their return call so they can explain that one to me. Not quite sure why that one would be needed since the 10 years parts and 5 years labor is already included as long as your unit is serviced once per year.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I believe that is the lowest price plan which includes one tune-up. We’ll probably go with that. Then there is a $199 plan which includes two tune-ups and a $50 credit for filters, etc. along with a few other benefits. Finally they quoted me a plan for $649 shortly after I bought. I’m waiting for their return call so they can explain that one to me. Not quite sure why that one would be needed since the 10 years parts and 5 years labor is already included as long as your unit is serviced once per year.

I’m curious what they say. I believe this 649 is for the labor in years six through 10 so in essence it would now be 10 years labor and maintenance. You still need to get and pay for the annual maintenance to keep it active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuctba View Post
I’m curious what they say. I believe this 649 is for the labor in years six through 10 so in essence it would now be 10 years labor and maintenance. You still need to get and pay for the annual maintenance to keep it active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct. The $649 is for labor for years 6 through 10. I’m leaning towards just the $89 yearly tune-up to be in compliance with the 10 years parts and 5 years labor warranty. The first tune- up is free.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

About this "yearly tune-up". What exactly does the service tech do to your air conditioner?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
About this "yearly tune-up". What exactly does the service tech do to your air conditioner?
The attached is for the $199 Kool Club membership which includes 2 yearly tune-ups. I’m assuming but not positive that the $89 once a year tune-up would include the same stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	47420E6E-C01B-4355-9B8A-02BAA7C66D8B.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	75065  
Closed Thread

Tags
read, years, thought, good, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.