Air conditioning service contract

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I personally don't like any long-term contracts...especially ones that are on the low side cost wise.

It just seems to me, to be all too tempting to suck someone in with a low price for a yearly maintenance agreement then 'find' things wrong that need repaired...to make up for the low initial cost.

I'll just stick with calling Chuck Farrell 352-753-9497 once a year...to look things over.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
The attached is for the $199 Kool Club membership which includes 2 yearly tune-ups. I’m assuming but not positive that the $89 once a year tune-up would include the same stuff.
I have never done a "tune-up" on the A/C units I have owned. I replace the filter and occasionally check to make sure the condensate line is draining properly. On a hot summer day, it is a good thing to check the outside unit to make sure the copper pipe that has the black insulation on it is cold to the touch and sweating. If the house is maintaining a proper temperature and your electric bills are consistent, then you really don't need to do anything else. Most of the things listed on the tune-up sheet are a waste of time and money (how do they inspect the compressor?). And, there is no way they can do all of the items on that list for $89. It would take all day to do them properly. Also, it does not include replacing the filter, which is the most important thing to do. Most HVAC companies will charge you more than twice as much for a filter than you can buy yourself. Munn's charges $50 for a filter that I buy at ACE Hardware for $15.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-14-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I read the carrier warranty, have you? Let me save you the time Carrier does not require any sort of service of any kind to maintain their warranty, none.

Now what will likely need to be replaced? The capacitor, and it will most likely fail after the comprehensive warranty which was two years I believe. The ten year warranty is for the compressor which again will almost certainly perform for ten years.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I read the carrier warranty, have you? Let me save you the time Carrier does not require any sort of service of any kind to maintain their warranty, none.

Now what will likely need to be replaced? The capacitor, and it will most likely fail after the comprehensive warranty which was two years I believe. The ten year warranty is for the compressor which again will almost certainly perform for ten years.
Are those called a "start capacitor"?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Sage

The 10-year Carrier parts warranty on my system is for all parts.

Quote:

Old 05-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The 10-year Carrier parts warranty on my system is for all parts.
Same here. Capacitor covered three years into service.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:

The warranty is on the condensing unit, where the capacitor is located. The compressor is also part of the condensing unit.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. These service contracts have never made sense to me because it limits your options when your system breaks down. You are tied to one company, and they may not be as quick to come out to repair your system. And, the company your have paid in advance may be looking for new business and may not give you the high priority response that you deserve.
It is actually the exact opposite of this. If you break down you are on the top of the list and they will respond within 24 hours of your call. This applies to 24 hour a day 7 days a week with no uncharge on labor.

In Florida during the summer you do not want to be without A/C.

This is how my service with Munns works.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
It is actually the exact opposite of this. If you break down you are on the top of the list and they will respond within 24 hours of your call. This applies to 24 hour a day 7 days a week with no uncharge on labor.

That's what we have found with Sunshine's service contract too. Twice in the last 4 years we've had a capacitor go bad an in both cases they had someone at the house to fix it in less than 4 hours... the house barely had time to warm up.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have used Sunshine to service and clean and change filters on our air conditioner for six years.. We are satisfied.

Their number in Sumter county is 352.748.9329
Old 05-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post

Glad you are satisfied. But, how do you know you are on the top of the list? I had a problem with my A/C system last year, and Munn's came out almost immediately, in way less than 24 hours. If they hadn't, I had at least 5 other companies to call. There is no shortage of HVAC contractors in The Villages. I don't see any need to sign a contract with one company, especially since they don't provide any warranty about how fast they will respond.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-16-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We had sunkool on first house,sold in four years, refused refund of remaining 6 years, due to a repair that was covered by warranty. It was vacation home, so used them for peace of mind.

Second house sunkool, no extended warranty, but used them for two years $199.00, twice a year maintenance.

Third house 5 year preowned, sunshine install, have all paperwork, leak in the system ongoing since year 1. We purchased home had sunkool come, found leak, and fixed it. Then second year we were told another leak and we needed a new system for $$$$$. I called Chuck Farrell for second opinion. No charge for service call and found no issues with our 8 year old system.

We now use. Chuck Farrell, for all homes. Guys are always polite, and have never had a problem. $65 for once a year maintenance that they say is all system needs.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Glad you are satisfied. But, how do you know you are on the top of the list? I had a problem with my A/C system last year, and Munn's came out almost immediately, in way less than 24 hours. If they hadn't, I had at least 5 other companies to call. There is no shortage of HVAC contractors in The Villages. I don't see any need to sign a contract with one company, especially since they don't provide any warranty about how fast they will respond.
They came out on a Sunday at 10PM. There was no extra charge for after hours or weekend service and they were here in 4 hours. I only pay $89 a year and that includes an annual service. Not sure you can just call someone on a Sunday after hours and get someone to come out without extra charges..
Closed Thread

Tags
read, years, thought, good, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.