Airbnb

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2020, 07:31 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

I feel most Airbnb owners don't really consider their neighbors.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:33 AM

If they get a guest pass, they have to be accompanied by the owner to use an amenity like the pool, executive golf, etc. If they stay longer and get a renter's pass, the owner has to lodge their ID with The Villages and the renter, in essence, is the owner for that period of time and uses those privileges in their place. At least according to the rules.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 AM
theruizs

I believe the “rules” actually allow you to rent a home you own here, but there are certain restrictions regarding it. I even think the developers own a business here that you can contract with to manage your rental(s). However, renting a room out of your home may be a different issue and might be considered running a business out of your home. The same would be true, IMO, of operating a pet boarding service (one you are getting paid for). Contact Community Standards and report it. The developers enforce rules like that on a complaint driven basis. There really isn’t any other way to do it.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:29 AM

Surprised by all the "not in my backyard" comments. My wife and I and another couple rented a villa 2 yrs ago and frankly it was1. In as good and probably better condition than 95% of the surrounding properties 2. Had strict rules on what you could and could not do, even to no shoes inside 3. Admonished us to be RESPECTFUL to the other property owners and the amenities we used. It was perfectly clean and extremely well decorated, unlike many "homeowners" we saw when we were looking to buy. Consequently, after we left the owner posted how perfect we left the place. We are searching for a nice place for next snowbird season and everyone we have looked at has the same list of high standards. So, before one who lives in a glass house throws stones, investigate and become fully informed. Bad apples, sure, among residents also, you betcha, but, many great people who may be your next neighbor or best friend rent from Airbnb, just saying! Enjoy your weather and area, it's beautiful.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage

We lived in a Palm Coast condo for a short period of time prior to moving here--there was a short term rental policy, 30 days or longer
the constant abuse of this policy was the straw that broke the camel's back for us--the ocean front beauty was destroyed , by kids running through the passageways, leaving bait buckets in front of units, trashing bicycle racks and the big ones drunks getting sick in the pools causing constant closures & people taking infants in swim diapers into the spas
Old 02-25-2020, 11:42 AM

It’s becoming an issue where some home owners ( obviously not year round Villagers) are literally turning their homes into “turnstyle” quickly hotels! There was some talk about instituting dome minimum day rules about these “rentals” but haven’t heard much since! I find it somewhat ironic & hypocritical that while we can’t have simple lawn ornaments , flashing “Vacancy” signs could become routine!
Old 02-25-2020, 11:49 AM

Correct
Old 02-25-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage

Honestly, some people got to be really desperate for additional $$, looked @ several adds on Airbnb for the TV--IMHO , you have to be absolutely nuts to have total strangers living in your house while you're home--a lot of the rentals are for the split side of the typical designer, " 2 bedrooms with private bath"
Old 02-25-2020, 01:08 PM

"Contact Community Standards and report it. The developers enforce rules like that on a complaint driven basis."

This quote is only partially correct and only applies to exterior deed restrictions but in no way involves the Developer. The District Govt./CDD's enforce the exterior restrictions. The Developer may take a complaint, but one poster is correct: there is no written process. Interior restrictions are enforced "at the discretion" of the Developer--and most are not really enforced because there are no consequences.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpkk_2000 View Post
Perhaps the Villages would be better served if the trolls would pick up on this issue and run with it...just sayin'
Put a bounty on violations --paid for by doing away with the village patrol.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva1 View Post
If they get a guest pass, they have to be accompanied by the owner to use an amenity like the pool, executive golf, etc. If they stay longer and get a renter's pass, the owner has to lodge their ID with The Villages and the renter, in essence, is the owner for that period of time and uses those privileges in their place. At least according to the rules.
You do not need to be with them when they have a guest pass, there is no renters pass.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:57 AM
Default Sorry to here about this story about airbnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Not just AirBnB, check out ****, Homes to Go and all the rest of the rental sites out there on the Internet. No rules against it at this point and I'm not sure there ever will be. There's a huge glut on the market of rentals as more and more buy now and plan to retire later.
On the airbnb site you do not have to be 55 to rent and you can bring children up to 12 years and babies are free .We just got back from a visit and loved the place .We liked it because it is 55 years and no kids .We are looking to buy now and working with a realtor But I do not want to move there and have renters with children and babies .
On the website you can rent for one day two days etc. Boy I would be **** if I bought next to a villa or home that has new renters every other day with kids .
There are some beautiful home for sale in gated communities right outside the villages even though I love the life style I am just glad I found this article before we buy
Thanks
Old 02-26-2020, 06:06 AM

To lighten up the conversation a bit......
We recently moved two hours away from our kids up north.... now when they come, they will be staying with us overnight.
Accordingly, I put a small sign on the guest bedroom........ HeirBnB....
Old 02-26-2020, 07:05 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Honestly, some people got to be really desperate for additional $$, looked @ several adds on Airbnb for the TV--IMHO , you have to be absolutely nuts to have total strangers living in your house while you're home--a lot of the rentals are for the split side of the typical designer, " 2 bedrooms with private bath"
So true, yet you will call a stranger and get in their car at all hours.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage

No problem getting in a car with a stranger as long as I have two friends with me, Mr Smith & Mr Wesson & their Austrian sidekick Herr Glock
Closed Thread

Tags
airbnb, stop, rent, guest, passes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.