Aldi Grand Opening

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Honest question. I’m new to Aldi...even after ‘renting’ the cart for a quarter, can’t customers still wheel the cart to their car after shopping?
Yes. You take the cart to your car, unload your groceries, then take the cart back to the cart station. When you push the cart into the cart in front of it, there is a key on a chain on the cart in front of you. You insert that key into the slot on your cart's handle, and your coin pops out. Put the coin back in your car and leave it there for the next time.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll With It View Post
I love Aldi. Can't beat the prices or the quality. It's really nice to sometimes just pass the shopping cart along to someone else and let them keep their quarter. I like to pay it forward.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll With It View Post
I love Aldi. Can't beat the prices or the quality. It's really nice to sometimes just pass the shopping cart along to someone else and let them keep their quarter. I like to pay it forward.
Many mornings I will get a cart from someone who says "have a blessed day and pass this on" and I do. The smile on the face of the recipient is all the thanks you need.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-06-2018, 02:13 PM

Have a blessed day. Beautiful.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes. You take the cart to your car, unload your groceries, then take the cart back to the cart station. When you push the cart into the cart in front of it, there is a key on a chain on the cart in front of you. You insert that key into the slot on your cart's handle, and your coin pops out. Put the coin back in your car and leave it there for the next time.
More often then not after you unload someone just coming in hands you a quarter and takes your cart. win,win
[i guess others have already said this many times]
Old 05-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This is the modus operandi in Europe (where Aldi started) and has been for decades. It's sooooooo nice not to have any grocery carts banging around loose in the parking lot because people were too lazy to return them to the cart return spot 20 feet away.. We keep a coin in the car's coin bin. Easy peazy. Easier than swiping a card or giving a dollar bill, IMO.
So, if you don't mind spending a quarter, can you just leave the cart at your car, or is that considered rude? Then, someone can come along and get a free quarter. When I go to Publix, I always park next to a cart return station, so I don't have to return it anywhere. And, why don't they have plastic bags like everyone else? I really don't care how they do it in Europe.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, if you don't mind spending a quarter, can you just leave the cart at your car, or is that considered rude? Then, someone can come along and get a free quarter. When I go to Publix, I always park next to a cart return station, so I don't have to return it anywhere. And, why don't they have plastic bags like everyone else? I really don't care how they do it in Europe.
Cost cutting. Bring your bags.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
I agree. Two things will keep me away, the quarter thing and no plastic bags. It's like they don't want customers. I will still shop at Publix and Walmart.
Everyone has the right to shop where they choose, for whatever reason they choose. A $100 cart of groceries at Publix will cost you $60 or less at Aldi with equal to greater quality. As for me I'll lend them the quarter and find a box.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Gold member

You can buy a bag for pennies, not sure if they are plastic or paper tho.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Cost cutting. Bring your bags.
They sell bags for a dime. I wouldn't encourage anyone to shop there. What I find interesting is that the container looks like the name brand and sounds like it too. Look at the beer. They have one that looks and sounds like Carona and another like Heineken. It's like a montr python skit.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

With all these Villagers spending $20-30 for lunch at the country clubs, it really seems ridiculous to try to save a quarter on a cart or a few pennies on plastic bags.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
With all these Villagers spending $20-30 for lunch at the country clubs, it really seems ridiculous to try to save a quarter on a cart or a few pennies on plastic bags.
I think you're putting everyone on. You have a gift.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I agree. Two things will keep me away, the quarter thing and no plastic bags. It's like they don't want customers. I will still shop at Publix and Walmart.
Quote:
Then you should stick with Walmart.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
It was just an explanation for the fee for the cart, and my opinion as to why it works well. You could do whatever you want. Have at it; I don't really care, except for your leaving your cart in somebody else's way because you might have to walk several feet to return it. There are only so many parking places near the cart return at Publix or Winn-Dixie. I try to park next to one but often don't find a spot open.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Everyone has the right to shop where they choose, for whatever reason they choose. A $100 cart of groceries at Publix will cost you $60 or less at Aldi with equal to greater quality. As for me I'll lend them the quarter and find a box.
True,and you're only lending them the quarter for as long as it takes you to shop. Not dodging left-behind carts in the parking lot, either.

Tags
aldis, area, addition, luck, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.