Aldi Grand Opening

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Sage

thats why their produce is cheaper , in a few days the wholesaler would most likely have to trash it if it doesn't sell, the same goes for Winn Dixie, the few times I was in the store, their produce looked very tired
Old 04-27-2018, 08:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

PLEASE! anyone that disses Aldi - stay way from the store. It will allow more room in the parking lot and aisles for shoppers. We are Aldis appreciators.

1. Love the .25 shopping carts. One less expense and overhead costing consumers. Put your quarter in the handle, get the cart, use it, return cart to store front and get your .25 back. YOU do the cart return - not an employee. EZ & effective.

2. Few name brands, but store brands are really good - and different from the yada of the big stores.

3. Prices in general quite a bit lower, esp produce and protein. Lots of frozen foods. Very good selections.

4. The cashiers scanners are superquick and seldom need a pricecheck or bad UPC.

The not so good - Sometimes aisles have boxes or handtrucks as the shelves are continuously stocked thru the day. Some items are not in logical places in shelf areas. No Deli or onsite bakery. Sometimes, esp produce, are sold out during the day - esp sales etc. And - if you don't like to bag your own stuff, stay away from Aldis.

I truly hope this does not entice shoppers to go and clog the aisles - The Publix-lovers and WD-lovers...keep on keepin' on...

I like competition - good for consumers. Another European market is coming to the USA - LIDIS. They are building stores like mad in central east coast states, no doubt will expand to FL soon.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
Yes! Grandmas recipe, warm it up till mush, then throw it garbage desposal ....

Why would you abuse your garbage disposal ?
Old 04-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Sage

do you want your disposals arteries to slam shut
Old 04-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage

Has anyone else experienced this in Aldi's? more customer patience? if the aisle gets clogged people seem to wait it out without complaining? the same with checkout.
It starts with the 25 cent cart hand-off.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
PLEASE! anyone that disses Aldi - stay way from the store. It will allow more room in the parking lot and aisles for shoppers. We are Aldis appreciators.

1. Love the .25 shopping carts. One less expense and overhead costing consumers. Put your quarter in the handle, get the cart, use it, return cart to store front and get your .25 back. YOU do the cart return - not an employee. EZ & effective.

2. Few name brands, but store brands are really good - and different from the yada of the big stores.

3. Prices in general quite a bit lower, esp produce and protein. Lots of frozen foods. Very good selections.

4. The cashiers scanners are superquick and seldom need a pricecheck or bad UPC.

The not so good - Sometimes aisles have boxes or handtrucks as the shelves are continuously stocked thru the day. Some items are not in logical places in shelf areas. No Deli or onsite bakery. Sometimes, esp produce, are sold out during the day - esp sales etc. And - if you don't like to bag your own stuff, stay away from Aldis.

I truly hope this does not entice shoppers to go and clog the aisles - The Publix-lovers and WD-lovers...keep on keepin' on...

I like competition - good for consumers. Another European market is coming to the USA - LIDIS. They are building stores like mad in central east coast states, no doubt will expand to FL soon.
Just a correction on that - I think it must be called LIDL or Lidl (not i) grocery stores. I actually never heard of it until you mentioned it in your post but since you said central east coast I had to check it out. Looks like one in DE and NJ, but none in PA yet. I'll be keeping my eye out. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
And no boloney, rewards cards-that you need to get a product at a legitimate price--Winn-Dixie is the pits--only go there for a single item and I'm lucky if they have it-first time I went to the store in Pinellas Plaza--they did not have white clam sauce

Have only been in the store 3 times since they have opened--with their parent company in bankruptcy and with Aldi's opening across the street their days are numbered
I only WISH we could buy quahogs here!

I’m not aware—who’s in BK?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Gold member

The twenty-five cents is also an amazing lizard repellent. It keeps anoles from shoving carts and denting your car.

Last edited by Henryk; 04-29-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:27 AM

FOR MY OPINION
Aldis is selling off brand or if you prefer private brand products. That has led other stores to also sell private brand products. IE both Winn Dixie and Publix are doing more of this. It is or shluld be less expensive than branded products. Sometimes it is sometimes it is not good VALUE.

We've bought frozen broccoli from PUBLIX and it was all tough stems. A BRAND such as Birdseye would have sent it back to whoever supplied it-they would inspect it to protect their VALUABLE BRAND. At ALDIs we have purchased some truly good cheese but we also purchased SHARP CHEDDAR that was or should have been PROCESSED AMERICAN CHEESE.

is ALDIs worth a special trip? Probably not for me but, if I'm going by anyway and it is not packed, I will likely stop in. Prices are good on milk, eggs and stuff they are promoting one the way into the store.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:39 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I guess I better start returning them to the store.
Your neighbors will appreciate it.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Default If we are not confused enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Just a correction on that - I think it must be called LIDL or Lidl (not i) grocery stores. I actually never heard of it until you mentioned it in your post but since you said central east coast I had to check it out. Looks like one in DE and NJ, but none in PA yet. I'll be keeping my eye out. Thanks for the tip!
ALDIS and LIDI are both German owned discount grocery chains.
I for one wonder WHY. We are told that food costs in the US are among the lowest in the world. I expect some of this is due to government subsidies, low land costs, scientific farming and large sized farms allowing the costly equipment used instead of labor.
Why this foreign invasion into a local business model? I wonder but, expect it has to do with TAXES and EXCHANGE RATES,
Old 04-27-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Some items are not in logical places in shelf areas.
I mean who puts Tilapia next to Alpo. Really.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Sage

For those who aren't already aware, Aldi's and Trader Joe's are owned by the same German company. From the little that I know, TJ's got it's business plan from the Aldi model but took a more trendy path to attract a different group of consumers. In other words, I took that to mean Aldi's stuck closer to the German model when implemented here in the US and TJ's put an American twist on theirs.

Recent reports and comparisons to other retail establishments states that they pay their employees quite well. I guess that's why TJ's cashiers seem so happy when I shop there.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Sage

The stores carry about 2,500 items, less than 10 percent of the 40,000 to 50,000 assortment found at most grocers.

Too many choices slows you down.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The stores carry about 2,500 items, less than 10 percent of the 40,000 to 50,000 assortment found at most grocers.

Too many choices slows you down.
Good point. Couldn't agree more, but I guess it depends on how much one likes to shop. Not one of my favorite pastimes much to my husband's pleasure.
Closed Thread

Tags
aldis, area, addition, luck, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.