All the gates being knocked down........

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The gates are NOT for security. I don't know how many times this can be emphasized before people get it. It was clear to us the very first time we came to visit years ago, before we even decided to move here.

The gates are to slow down traffic and offer a margin of safety for golf carts to cross the road at those intersections.

They don't need security guards. The gate people are customer service reps, not security guards.
gate people are customer service reps And complete waste of money.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17362 View Post
There is always alternatives with a problem in the solution departments, I always say a minimum of three. IMO, the gate problems need:
Man at every single gate that actually have security for the residents as number one-
For example a central server that is rigged to every gate for actual emergencies that allows an operator to rise and hold all gates in a FEMA emergency
2) the persons at the gates, takes down and enters all non residents purpose and house they are going to and length of stay Or work order or list of approved vendors for lawn care
3) add resident stickers On carts, a barcode, and barcode reader at gate that is registered into the system at every check point for when the need arises. And of course a person is there if they don’t have one whom is ready to take your information if you are not a resident.
The residents security should be number one concern.
These “people” will eventually get a clue and stop the non sense that has been occurring at the gates. Yes it will slow traffic but so be it. Cost and security can be leveled out.
Seems like your solution assumes that only residents are allowed in. That assumption does not recognize that anyone is entitled to enter gated areas that are on streets maintained by Sumter County.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:18 PM

The gates are simply a sham. Put there by The Villages to sell the idea that this is like all the other over 55 restricted, private communities. The roads in The Villages are public everywhere (except the Marion county portion and the villa sections.)
The Villages needs to take down the gates. They do not have the right to control the traffic or the speed on the public streets. And that would solve the problem with broken gates=a waste of money.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,352 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
The gates are simply a sham. Put there by The Villages to sell the idea that this is like all the other over 55 restricted, private communities. The roads in The Villages are public everywhere (except the Marion county portion and the villa sections.)
The Villages needs to take down the gates. They do not have the right to control the traffic or the speed on the public streets. And that would solve the problem with broken gates=a waste of money.
Safety?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
The gates slow down car traffic so golf cart traffic can cross. The Villages doesn't have to do anything to get people to buy here. When our area opened up, the view lots sold out within seven hours. People, even now during this pandemic, are vigorously looking for homes here. We have looky loos driving around our very small village of 53 homes all of the time. How do we know they aren't residents? Because we know all of the residents. It is just as friendly as people say it is. No. I don't work for the developer but I am a huge fan.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Wow. Such obliviousness to reality.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

All gates get knocked down from time to time.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Follow The Money

Somebody is making a lot of money by replacing/repairing gates that are hit. I continue to suggest they be put on "springs" so if they are hit they spring back and do not break. Second, there should be something more to highlight they are there. We
have lived in the villages for a number of years and I still have to look twice at times to see the gates. A simple hanging chain like material to better indicate they are there would stop some of the damages being done. In addition to this I also believe that all Golf Carts in the villages should be required to have ID stickers on them. Given the swarm of new people in the area now and coming from Apts, Condo's etc. there should be away of identifying if the carts are residents or not.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,352 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Somebody is making a lot of money by replacing/repairing gates that are hit. I continue to suggest they be put on "springs" so if they are hit they spring back and do not break. Second, there should be something more to highlight they are there. We
have lived in the villages for a number of years and I still have to look twice at times to see the gates. A simple hanging chain like material to better indicate they are there would stop some of the damages being done. In addition to this I also believe that all Golf Carts in the villages should be required to have ID stickers on them. Given the swarm of new people in the area now and coming from Apts, Condo's etc. there should be away of identifying if the carts are residents or not.
Where are non residents coming into TV from?
Old 07-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

As Gracie correctly said, the gates slow down and help manage car traffic so golf carts can also navigate around. Also, the gates slow down cars so cameras can get pictures of license plates just in case the Identy of a vehicle is required. As someone who almost exclusively travels the Villages via golf cart, I greatly appreciate the way gates help golf carts and cars co-exist.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I don't understand the problem with seeing the gate arm. If it is an entrance to a village there will be a gate arm so come to a stop and look for the arm.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
the gates need to be made more visible, preferably blinking red lights.
Yeah, and a swinging red light like used at railroad crossings and loud bell also. Maybe a 20' by 20' billboard with the warning STOP AHEAD. A guard with a bright red light waving it at the approaching drivers. No, no the bill board idea is too much, the guard will get runover and the gate arm hit by a driver trying to read the writing. I think the state needs to require elderly drivers to have an eye exam yearly in order to keep their license.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
It's the 'Sunbirds!'
Yep the same answer given by full timers from Oct thru April...BUT wait a minute, this is July 1st so do you think it might be the full timers after all ? (oh thats right its the landscapers or the NON residence people) ha
Old 07-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Finally, a thread where all the gateologists can have their say.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 PM

Yes, the gates are difficult to see at certain times of the day. The dark red and white bands do not stand out well during the daylight hours. Changing them to fluorescent green and orange would make them much more visible. That’s why those colors are used for the vests that workers and emergency personnel wear.
Closed Thread

Tags
gates, roads, always;, average, amount

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.