Allowing access to your “courtyard” villa

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollypeanut View Post
Guess you did not read the op never said I was here 7 1/2 years.. And yes, I do understand that I do have to give the neighbor access.. I am not disputing that or their right to put chemicals around their house.. I am only stating my concern for my dog.. and has anyone else had this issue..And how were they able to handle it.. again only looking for advice... I am glad that you and your neighbor can share keys that is a wonderful thing! But has nothing to do with my concern..
i'd keep your little one away from the sprayed area until the 1st good rain comes due to her age. i know its a bother, but why risk it? if it were my dog, i'd keep her away from it. best of luck!
Old 01-23-2020, 07:45 AM

I have no problem with this. I get advance notification, I close the pet door and keep my pet indoors for at least 3 hours after spraying (although they tell me only one hour is advised). I've been doing this for 5 years and I have no problem with it nor have I had any ill effects in my dog. My gate is always locked so NO ONE is getting access to my courtyard without my permission.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollypeanut View Post
Guess you did not read the op never said I was here 7 1/2 years.. And yes, I do understand that I do have to give the neighbor access.. I am not disputing that or their right to put chemicals around their house.. I am only stating my concern for my dog.. and has anyone else had this issue..And how were they able to handle it.. again only looking for advice... I am glad that you and your neighbor can share keys that is a wonderful thing! But has nothing to do with my concern..
I don't see in either of your posts that you have tried to discuss this with your neighbor. Since you are asking for advice, that is what I offer.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

........I didn't know most of my courtyard is their property. My patio, landscaping, et al?.........
I don't own a CYV but a friend of mine just purchased a pre-owned CYV in Hadley and will be closing soon on the property.

I understand your concern. So....the property that is located in your neighbor's courtyard is actually YOUR property? I don't quite understand this logic of the design of the Courtyard Villas. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have a feeling my friend doesn't know about this "quirk" of the Courtyard Villas.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

The link in Post #8 shows where property lines are in a CYV neighborhood and who has responsibility for different areas. I posted it to HELP people understand. I can't click on it for you! It was part of my DUE DILIGENCE before buying. Due diligence..... look it up!
Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,682 Times in 5,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I don't own a CYV but a friend of mine just purchased a pre-owned CYV in Hadley and will be closing soon on the property.

I understand your concern. So....the property that is located in your neighbor's courtyard is actually YOUR property? I don't quite understand this logic of the design of the Courtyard Villas. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have a feeling my friend doesn't know about this "quirk" of the Courtyard Villas.
The legal property line runs down the middle of the adjacent houses, and there is a gate on each side of your house. You have access to only one gate, but part of your property is only accessible by using your next door neighbor's gate and vice versa. You have the responsibilty to maintain all property inside your gate, except the house, even though about 5 feet of land inside your gate is actually owned by one of your next door neighbors. You also are responsible to provide access, as needed, by your next door neighbor, to maintain their house, for painting, pest control, etc. This is a little easier to understand when looking at the property plats.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:

It's really not a big deal. You're neighbor's property line is a few feet from the edge of their house. This is also true for your friend's property line on the other side of his house if he has anything other than a corner lot. While his neighbor owns the property he is responsible for maintaining it (per the guidelines in the deed restrictions). This is similar but reversed for the landscaping adjacent to his home but facing his neighbor's home (by their driveway and near the gate to his back yard). He owns the property but the neighbor is responsible for maintaining the landscaping. In many cases, your irrigation system is likely watering your property but your neighbor's landscaping. It's all very clearly spelled out and shouldn't be a problem. As with almost any home, it helps to be a good neighbor and communicate when needed. The language is scarier than what happens in practice. I'm sure there are exceptions to this but if it was such a horrendous problem there would not be so many folks enjoying their CY villas.

Last edited by GoPacers; 01-23-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,682 Times in 5,231 Posts

One thing to be aware of is that, if your next door neighbor is a snowbird, you should occasionally check to make sure their sprinklers, located directly under your eaves, are not broken. I have seen two cases where a neighbor's house was flooded by water spraying under the eaves and entering the house.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=kingtutt20;1711898]The only chemical that they would need to spray is for termites and that would done right up against the neighbors house. /QUOTE]

A pesticide is also sprayed around the outside of the house, on the ground and lower part of the wall, to prevent ants and other insects from entering the house. This is usually done quarterly.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:58 AM

I have asked around with the FL locals and with TV residents who have been here for years......no one has ever seen any termites......fire ants, yes, but termites, no. Block/stucco homes and villas only have wood from rafters up, not on ground floor. Home Depot has bags of diatomaceous earth that slices any exoskeleton of an insect that crawls across the powder and then they die from dehydration. Some farmer locals just pour used car/tractor oil close up/around the exterior of the foundations of their barns to keep any possible termites away, but even none of them that I spoken with have had termites. Anyone else actually have real info other than what is marketed to us at TV from those who want to repeatedly sell you a product?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I don't see in either of your posts that you have tried to discuss this with your neighbor. Since you are asking for advice, that is what I offer.
Sorry, should have said that.. Yes, I did speak with my neighbor when I gave them access...I expressed my concerns.. his answer was.. he was doing it 4 times a year and power washing 2 times.. Again.. this is his right.. I am not disputing that..
I’ve had some good replies and then the sarcasm.. but that’s to be expected.. some people just can’t help themselves..
Was looking for ideas from people in similar situations..
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:

The unique selling feature of CYV is a fully enclosed backyard with a fence. The vinyl fence on the back of the home will join the home on the back corner, not run all the way to the front between homes, which is customary. So one side of your home is exposed to your neighbor, not a fence, therefore all designs have no windows on that side. However, you cannot reach the exterior of that side unless you go into the backyard of your neighbor.

We've been in a CYV 9 years this coming July. Three times our neighbor has asked for us to open the gate so the exterminator can spray. Usually they're ejecting a spray into the ground for terminates and that is all. We've asked our other neighbor one time for access so that Oscar could paint that side of our home. It's not a big deal usually.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:26 PM

I'm not tech'y and cannot find how to start a new thread on a different topic how did you do that?
Old 01-23-2020, 04:00 PM
Default Allowing a Pest Control Company to access your villa for the neighbors spray

I have just done the same thing and I have a small older dog. It is the right thing to do and the neighborly thing to do. In my case, I talked with the pest company, Florida Pest, and was told the chemicals are safe to both humans and pets. Keep your dog indoors for the day they are spraying just to play it safe and for your own peace of mind. Pest & termite control is a necessity in FL, so you do need to allow access.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDesmone View Post
I have just done the same thing and I have a small older dog. It is the right thing to do and the neighborly thing to do. In my case, I talked with the pest company, Florida Pest, and was told the chemicals are safe to both humans and pets. Keep your dog indoors for the day they are spraying just to play it safe and for your own peace of mind. Pest & termite control is a necessity in FL, so you do need to allow access.
Several people have referred to spraying.. They used granular.. kind of puffed it around the foundation.. The person doing the work told me I could wet it, that would activate it and it would be absorbed into the soil.. this is what I have done.. yesterday and today.. not fun..

Tags
courtyard, subject, access, property, chemicals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.